The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 22, 2011, 09:11 AM   #1
357gp

Laser Cast col question

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum & have recently acquired a Ruger GP100 in .357. I have been reloading rifle & shotgun off & on for about 25 years so I'm familiar with the process. However, I've only been reloading handgun ammo for about 8 months. I received 500 Laser Cast 158gn RNFP bullets from the guy I bought my GP100 from & would like to load them up. Here's the problem I have encountered. I'm trying to obtain a col of 1.570" w/ Laser Cast 158 rnfp for my 357. I get the seating die set at the proper length & then when the cartridge goes into the next station & crimped, the roll crimp pulls the bullet down another .010". I tried seating out further but the crimp seams to grab the canalure & pulls it down to 1.560" anyway or it becomes around 1.580" & the crimp winds up below the canalure. I obtained the col directly from Laser Cast & it states not to go below 1.570". The brass is unfired new Remington so it has not been shortened. The finished rounds look perfect to me at the shorter length. I'm loading 14.1gns of win296 over a win SPM primer. Am I fussing too much over .010" or should I just load & shoot them at the shorter length?

Thanks for any help,

357gp
Old April 23, 2011, 06:21 PM   #2
gspman

to much crimp

Hi 357 I load that exact same bullet for my gp100.It shoots them well.Better than the swc Of the same wieght.I reload on a single stage press and do one thing at a time.Seat bullet to correct depth than remove seating plug and go back and crimp all.Sounds to me like you are using a progresive press.Can you crimp in a separate step than you are seating bullets???Crimping should Be firm but you do not want to over do it either.It should never seat bullet deeper.Hope that helps GSPMAN
Old April 24, 2011, 11:55 AM   #3
357gp

gspman,
You are correct, I'm using a LNL-AP press. I am crimping in a separate step & still having the length problem. What COL are you loading to?

Thanks,
357gp
Old April 24, 2011, 05:32 PM   #4
wncchester

" I'm trying to obtain a col of 1.570"

Why? Book OAL is only what the book makers used, it's not a law. MANY bullets have no specific loading data available, if we don't find our own length then those bullets couldn't be used! A seating depth change of .010" in a .357 is meaningless.
Old April 24, 2011, 08:32 PM   #5
357gp

wnnchester,

"Why? Book OAL is only what the book makers used, it's not a law. MANY bullets have no specific loading data available, if we don't find our own length then those bullets couldn't be used! A seating depth change of .010" in a .357 is meaningless."

I guess I'm trying to be cautious & gain knowledge from those that have done what I'm attempting before. I also figured that the book listed a minimum COL for a reason. If I had all the answers already I wouldn't be posting now. It's obvious to me that the COL the book states cannot be obtained if you crimp in the groove. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shortening the COL will increase pressure. As it is WIN296 has a very small window (13.8-14.5grns) with this bullet. I don't have enough experience with this powder to know it's characteristics. I would not hesitate changing the COL with a more forgiving type powder. I called Laser Cast & they were not of any help either. This is why I asked the question. Silly me trying to be safe.
Old April 25, 2011, 10:30 PM   #6
gspman

357 Yeah i dont know oal of my load as i let the bullet establish it.I shoot mostly cast bullets and they have a place to crimp in including the lasercast 158rnfp.I Dont usually load to the hottest level either.I have loaded 14gns of h110/296 with a mag primer and they shot well.my main load is 13 grn of 2400 under the lasercast 158rnfp because that is where the accurracy is really good.That is almost 2grns below max.H110 296 you need to stay in small window as you said.load 14gns and you"ll be fine.Sorry not sure why or how bullet moving when .crimp.GSPMAN
Old April 26, 2011, 05:28 AM   #7
357gp

Thanks GSPMAN,
I,m going to load a few at the minimum listed load. I will crimp into the groove with the slightly shorter COL & see how it goes.

357gp