The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 9, 2012, 10:02 AM   #1
cooper31

Neck Sizing for Hunting

I am starting to work up some loads for deer hunting. I am using a Remington 722 in 257 Roberts. I see that the reloading manuals do not recommend neck sizing for hunting. At one time I used a Lyman Tru-Line Jr to reload and I am pretty sure that unit neck re-sized. I never experienced any difficulty then. I am using mostly RCBS Equipment now. I am wondering, that because The 722 is bolt action rather than a pump or automatic, there would not be a problem. Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old September 9, 2012, 10:24 AM   #2
mikejonestkd

You should be fine with neck resizing only for a bolt rifle as long as they chamber fine - without any extra pressure from closing the action. if they are a bit tight then you might run into a problem in the field.
Test your hunting reloads in your rifle, they need to chamber smoothly in order to be considered suitable for hunting.
Old September 9, 2012, 11:56 AM   #3
603Country

I just have bolt guns, and I can't remember the last time I full length resized a case for hunting purposes. All I do is neck size (and partial resize for one caliber) and I have never had a problem in 30 years. But I only hunt things that won't trample, gore, or eat me. If I did hunt things that might terminate me, I'd most likely full length resize.
Old September 9, 2012, 12:28 PM   #4
Tuzo

After fire forming .30-06, .243, and .223 in my bolt guns all I do is neck size. But to be safe, each case is either test chambered in the respective rifle or checked with a Wilson case gauge. Only one .223 case out of a few hundred failed.

No concerns for using neck sized cases for hunting except if you feel more confident with full length sizing.
Old September 9, 2012, 01:50 PM   #5
cooper31

Thank You

Thank you for the replies. They confirm my thinking on the subject. When I grew up, deer were not in my area of WV. I went back to my home farm and killed my first deer last year. I am 81 years old, and blessed with good health, and am planning another hunt this year.
Old September 9, 2012, 01:59 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I have bolt actions and single-shots, I only neck size for all my rounds, hunting or otherwise. Occasionally, I notice slight resistance in extracting a fired round. That one gets treated to a Redding body/shoulder bump die next time around.
Old September 9, 2012, 02:01 PM   #7
Gster

Good for you and congrats on your first deer. I hope I'm still shooting deer when I'm 80. All I do is neck size with the Lee collet dies and have never had a problem. Good luck this year!