The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 21, 2012, 10:03 PM   #1
tkglazie

Looking to get in to IDPA. Will any of my current equipment get me started?

Title says it all. I am leaning towards IDPA as my next adventure in the shooting/reloading hobby. I have access locally to a good club that practices IDPA weekly and I have a good club to practice shooting at daily.

My current handgun options are:

SR1911 (stock)
P89 (P95 trigger, hogue grip)
SP101 3" .357 (lighter springs, trigger job, hogue grip optional)
Bersa Model 83 .380 (stock)
Sig P238 (stock, or with hogue grip)

currently the only carry rigs I own are for the two .380s and the revolver.

Is there any class that I could compete in as a newbie, have a good time, learn some skills and be safe using any of the above equipment?

Thanks
Old November 21, 2012, 11:28 PM   #2
chris in va

The 1911 or Ruger would work. The da/sa transition on the p89 will be a bit frustrating, while the 1911 will require you to swipe off the safety first and have limited capacity but get you into the 'major' category.

You'll need a couple extra mags, possibly three with the 1911...along with the appropriate mag holders. Fobus makes decent ones for a reasonable price.

IIRC 380 isn't allowed, so the Bersa is out.
Old November 22, 2012, 12:01 AM   #3
jackpine

you'll need a holster and a double mag pouch for either your P89 or your 1911.
I like sideguardholster.com or comp-tac. If your club has back up gun side matches you could shoot any of the other 3.
Old November 22, 2012, 01:19 AM   #4
glock75

Yep. You have the pistols; just need a holster and double mag holder along with 3 mags. A good sturdy belt should also be a part of your rig. None of this has to expensive to get started.

Fobus holsters are reasonably price and work fine for IDPA. They make the pistol holster and the mag holders.

You will also need a cover garment, be an untucked shirt, jacket or concealment vest. Eye/ear protection, as well.

Most IDPA clubs will help new shooters with the rules, etc. Take your time and make accurate shots. The main thing is be safe, and then have fun.
Old November 22, 2012, 07:15 AM   #5
tkglazie

Very nice, thanks all. I already have extra mags for the 1911 and fortunately (and not surprisingly) it is my straightest shooter. Looking forward to it.
Old November 22, 2012, 07:25 AM   #6
BillyBeards

I would also say go with your 1911 if that's the one you shoot best. I know that's the reason I use mine for IDPA.
Read through the rule book on the IDPA website to get an overview of the rules and what gear you're aloud to use but all the info you've already been given is good advice.
It did get me shooting a lot more so I switched to shooting 9mm to keep the cost down, it might be something worth thinking about.
Most importantly, take your time and have fun.

And Happy Thanksgiving.
Old November 22, 2012, 09:50 AM   #7
Jim Watson

As said, your SR1911 will be just about perfect for IDPA CDP.
You need the gun, at least three magazines, a holster, magazine carrier(s) for two, a good stout belt, a concealment garment*, and eye/ear protection.
You will not be required to fire more than 18 shots on any one string of fire.
A typical match will be maybe a hundred rounds, but take extra.

*The concealment garment can be about any sort of jacket, vest, or long shirt. I strongly suggest you practice clearing concealment to draw DRYFIRE at home before having to do it under match pressure with a loaded gun.

The new shooter's briefing has a lot of good information and is easier to get your head around than the rule book:
http://www.gadpa.com/index.php/idpa/...oter-briefing/
Old November 23, 2012, 03:12 PM   #8
BILLG

Chris there is no major in IDPA.
Old November 23, 2012, 05:22 PM   #9
Jim Watson

No, but there is the CDP Power Floor which is just coincidentally (Riiight) the same as IPSC Major.

This will matter if he shoots that SR1911 with reloads.
Any hardball or hollowpoint will do fine, but a soft handload might not.
Old November 23, 2012, 05:37 PM   #10
BILLG

As I said there is no MAJOR in IDPA.IDPA is what the OP is asking about.And yes USPSA has Major but since we are talking IDPA it has no use here.If he were going to shoot USPSA then it would matter.165 is indeed the Power Factor CDP.
Old November 23, 2012, 08:22 PM   #11
Glenn E. Meyer

The 1911 is the way to go.

The SP101 is a five shot gun. 5 shot revolvers are a touch difficult on the IDPA reload agendas. I've done it just for grins but not for a beginner.

Similarly, the 238 is not optimal for the competitive aspect but it would be fun to shoot as practice if it is a carry gun. I have a friend that shot one very well - but he is a very skilled IDPA shooter.

Also, shooting a 1911 is good practice for tap, rack and bang - ha, ha - ducking for cover.
Old November 23, 2012, 09:21 PM   #12
tkglazie

Thanks all. I will have to check on the power of my 1911 reloads and make sure they meet minimums.

The P238 is indeed my edc. I know some have had reliability issues with theirs but mine has 0 ftf and fte in just over 1000 rounds of mixed factory hardball, premium jhp and solid copper hp defense, and reloads. All I did to it when I got it was a 2 minute feed ramp polish and the usual touchup of the internals. What a sweet shooting gun. Great sights, great controllability (locked breech) and after a few minor adjustments a pretty nice 5.5lbs trigger.

Thanks again