The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 3, 2010, 04:03 PM   #1
leadcounsel

Opinions sought for YUGO M57 (TT-33 clone) handgun

Quality, various conditions one would expect to receive from destributor, etc.

Thanks.

Last edited by leadcounsel; October 6, 2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old October 4, 2010, 02:32 PM   #2
Cheapshooter

I bought a Yugo M57 from SOG a couple months ago. I would call the condition very good to excellent. It came with a spare magazine and holster. The M57 has a slightly longer grip than other T-33 Tokarev pistols, and therefor holds one more round of ammo. The quality is on a par with my other two Tokarevs. A Polish, and a Romanian. The Yugo M57 has functioned flawlessly with the cheap Romanian surplus 7.62X25 ammo from SOG that sells for $119/1224 rnds + shipping.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 4, 2010, 05:40 PM   #3
leadcounsel

Great. Anyone else?
Old October 4, 2010, 06:39 PM   #4
doofus47

Have a romy and love it. I think that the only difference between mine and a yugo m57 is that the M57 has an extra round.
Old October 4, 2010, 09:59 PM   #5
bob.a

Bought a hand-picked Yugo several months ago. Left it in the box for a couple months after looking it over and working the cosmo-coated action.

Finally cleaned off all the goop, to discover that the trigger took 3 pulls to drop the hammer. Gunsmith check indicated that the gun was a Frankenpistol, assembled out of a parts box, and the parts didn't fir quite right. Called SOG; they saif they had a 30 day warranty, long expired, but they'd look into the situation. Next day said to send it back.

So I did. (Pity, the thing looked unused. Of course, it was never used, just spare parts. BTW, the safety, which of course was an add-on due to import restrictions, was so tight as to be nearly unusable. I attribute this to the pistol's origin as a random selection of parts, assembled by an importer). Got a replacement in a few days, which seems to function properly, though it has yet to see the range.

Personally, I think they should have sent me a couple drop-in hammer units to see which one worked; would have saved a lot of shipping hassle and paperwork. On the other hand, I can see that they had a crate full of pistols assembled by the importer; from their point of view it was much simpler to just swap pistols.

This was my first experience with one of the big surplus outfits using my new C&R. I have to say that dealing with individual sellers and small dealers has been rather more successful.

Magazines for the Yugo Tokarev are hard to find, which may be a consideration.
Old October 5, 2010, 12:06 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

T
Quote:
his was my first experience with one of the big surplus outfits using my new C&R. I have to say that dealing with individual sellers and small dealers has been rather more successful.
Don't let this one experience ruin the C&R fun. I have had my license for nearly 10 years, have bought over 30 firearms from various distributors including SOG. I have not gotten a gun that I felt necessary to return yet. My Polish T-33 was a little disappointing. It had miss matched numbers on the frame, and slide. and a small burr on the feed ramp. A little polishing and it shot quite well, so I kept it.
I don't buy C&R firearms, or any other guns for that matter, for their collector value. Just as my username implies, I buy them for "cheap shooters" and have been very happy with all my millsurps.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 6, 2010, 08:00 AM   #7
George757

My Yugo M57 came from SOG also, and my experience mirrors Cheapshooter's (in post #2). I spent a lot of time cleaning and lubing mine, and it's functioned flawlessly. Great gun. Very 1911-ish, right down to the thumb safety. I went with a Yugo TT-33 instead of a Romanian because I thought the extra grip length made the pistol look more balanced (personal pref) and I liked the location of the safety (being a 1911 guy). For $189 ($199, hand-picked), this certainly ranks as a "best buy" in my book. There's a video on YouTube that shows how to disassemble the Yugo, if you decide to get one. J&G also has them (for $199), so that's another source.
Old October 6, 2010, 09:27 AM   #8
noelf2

Got my Rom Tok from Century over a year ago. Excellent value. I did a controversial thing to mine, by converting it to 9mm Lugar. I can swap barrels and bushings and it's right back to 7.62x25 again. Right now the barrels are cheap at Numrich ($40, they are TU-90 barrels but worked fine in my Romanian). Needed to get a 9mm bushing too. For about $60, I will still be able to shoot it cheaply if the 7.62x25 surplus ever dries up.