The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 1, 2007, 11:15 AM   #26
rem33

Seems I have touched a nerve out there, and maybe I was a little rough.

Especially on the bird hunters, If birds are raised in the right environment and turned lose they have the option to fly away, they are free. If raised in large pens and not to accustomed to man then turned lose I would call that hunting.

Go take a look at one of the web sites I posted. Search a few pages and you'll find a picture of a guy feeding several bull elk by hand one elks head is in the feed bucket. Now tell me shooting that animal is hunting. That is no more hunting that shooting the farmers cow, same thing this guy is a elk farmer or rancher take your pick. Go shoot it just don't then tell me you hunted it.

Quote:
If you don't like these preserves don't visit them, just please don't support the Antis by joining in the fight against them.
Elk should not be put in a pen and shot in a area where they live naturally. If that supports the anti's in your opinion that's up to you I feel differently about it.
Elk are such majestic animals IMHO that to shoot them in a pen, where less than a mile away I have seen wild elk, just doesn't set well with me, and should be outlawed in areas where they live wild.
Old March 1, 2007, 12:08 PM   #27
dustoff

No nerve touched here. The only preserves I hunt are the bird preserves and here in PA all pheasants are pen raised and stocked. I just hate to see people trying to take away the freedoms other people enjoy. Some people make a living by selling "hunts" on their property. They consider it hunting, you may not (in some instances I don't consider it hunting), but these people are doing nothing illegal. What the are doing should not be made illegal.

Quote:
That is no more hunting that shooting the farmers cow
Would you have an issue with me paying a farmer to shoot his cow. The farmer owns the animal (just like the preserves own their animals), and as such should be able to do with it as they please.

Quote:
Elk are such majestic animals IMHO that to shoot them in a pen, where less than a mile away I have seen wild elk, just doesn't set well with me
Are you basing your opinion simply on Elk, or do you feel the same about the less majestic ones, say hogs.

America - Home of the Free (Unless of course what your doing just doesn't set well with Rem).
Old March 1, 2007, 02:14 PM   #28
rem33

Quote:
Would you have an issue with me paying a farmer to shoot his cow
If it makes you happy go for it. Wouldn't be hunting to me but you have your beliefs , I have mine.

Quote:
Unless of course what your doing just doesn't set well with Rem
It's become personal, I try not to go there, I believe this has become pointless and that my responses are finished in this thread.

Have a good day sir.
Old March 1, 2007, 03:02 PM   #29
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

dustoff, maybe the back-and-forth might have to do with how the word "hunt" is used?

For me, any hunt area oughta be big enough, and with enough cover, that finding an animal requires some effort. Further, the animal should be able to get to cover if alarmed. To me, that's where "fair chase" comes in to the deal.

Omitting hunting from a fixed stand, I've seen some areas where hundreds of acres are needed for my viewpoint. But, I've hunted in some thick "jungle" where a few acres are enough that Bambi can sit back and laugh.

I"m all in favor of the whole guided hunt thing; many people don't have the time and expertise for solo efforts. But when I see an ad for "guaranteed success", that takes the whole "hunting" thing out of the deal.

Call me a romantic, maybe. To me, the hunt-package is a lot more important than the kill. BSing around a campfire, camp cooking, being with like-minded friends. Without the cameraderie, it's not all that much fun.

I dunno. Everybody's got their own deal going, I guess...

Art
Old March 1, 2007, 10:05 PM   #30
dustoff

Art I don't disagree with what you say. I would not hunt if I was guaranteed a kill every time. I don't take part in these canned hunts, I simply feel that we should let the people who choose to hunt/kill in this manner continue to do so. The animals are raised by the ranch to be killed by its clients. This is no different than the farmer who raises a cow with the intent of killing it for the meat. Personally I hunt with family and friends and I value that much more than I do the kill. I have had many days hunting where I know we where being much to loud to even see an animal but sometimes those are the best days.

Quote:
It's become personal, I try not to go there, I believe this has become pointless and that my responses are finished in this thread.
Rem if I insulted you I apoligize, That comment was meant as light hearted humor, note the smiley at the end. I should hope that you don't think it was a personal attack. I am a person who likes to joke around and I realize that sometimes a typed message can't accurately represent what the author meant. Again I am sorry, I did not mean to insult, I meant only to provide what I felt was a little humor.

With that being said I will agree to disagree with Rem and I to will bow out of this thread. I think my point has been stated and any other responses would also be pointless.
Old March 10, 2007, 05:39 PM   #31
rrj731

how easilly Boogyman has baited people into a controversial topic. if you were fish , he would have you cleaned by now. I'm sure he got a good chuckle out of it

Last edited by Johnny Guest; March 11, 2007 at 07:22 PM. Reason: correct spelling of another member's name
Old March 10, 2007, 08:23 PM   #32
Charles S

While I have no interest in responding to Boogyman, there are a couple of points I would like to address.

Quote:
Call me a romantic, maybe. To me, the hunt-package is a lot more important than the kill. BSing around a campfire, camp cooking, being with like-minded friends. Without the cameraderie, it's not all that much fun.
Art, that is truly one of the great pleasures in life. Those aspect, to me are as important as the hunt.

Not to say I don't often hunt alone. I do, but I love to be with friends, to camp, to cook, to hunt in a group with the camaraderie.

Quote:
They are canned hunts and should be against the law.
Just because I don't agree with someone philosophically does not mean I want to outlaw what they are doing. I personally think that is a current problem in America.

I would not want to participate in a canned hunt, but I also don't want them outlawed.

If someone chooses to hunt a penned elk, then IMHO that is their perogitive and it is not my job to outlaw that. If I can educate them, well that is something else.

I personally don't think that hunting with inline muzzle loaders, modern optics and having the capability of 200+ yard shots really is following the original intent of muzzle load hunting. I do not, however, want to outlaw the use of inlines.

Hunters and shooters should support one another, educate each other. Not try to outlaw activities we don't like, don't understand, or don't like.

Mr. Zumbo's blog is an excellent example of the problems I am talking about.

Last edited by Johnny Guest; March 11, 2007 at 07:22 PM. Reason: correct member's name
Old March 11, 2007, 08:24 AM   #33
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

To repeat: A "canned hunt" is ONLY that hunt where the animal has no chance of evading/avoiding the hunter.

Hunting from a stand near bait or using a guide is not a canned hunt. This is a legal definition, remember. Let's not get sloppy with word usage.

Art
Old March 16, 2007, 10:11 PM   #34
GIrine

shooting preserve

Hi Forum , New guy. I have spent the last 30 years or so living on the property line of a good sized shooting preserve, here on eastern long island. This owner raises ringnecks,mallards, chukars. Some of the shoots are pretty challenging. That said, please put the emphasis on the word shoot, as in pheasant shoot, duck shoot. They dont push the hunt word to much.Makes it all seem OK. More fun and better tasting than skeet.