The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 29, 2012, 09:41 AM   #1
Reich

G17 aiming problem

Hi folks;
First time poster here. I just bought a new gen 4 g17 and after going to the range the other day I find that it is shooting left. Even after 300 rounds it's about 2-3 inches left at 7 yards. I then pick up my fathers brand new g22 and put 5 in the bull at 15 yards first try? Can the sights be adjusted? Does mine have a defect?

Reich
Old June 29, 2012, 09:55 AM   #2
Walt Sherrill

Defect? Unlikely. Misadjusted sight is more likely -- or you simply haven't gotten used to the trigger, which may be slightly different than the other model you're shooting.

You need to move the rear sight slightly to the right. (Move the sight in the direction you want the point of impact to move.)

Here's a sight adjustment calculator from the Ameriglo site. It works with any sight. Note: it talks about up and down movement, but the calculation works the same for side-wise movement. They say, for your model, you need to move it about .08 of an inch to the right.

http://www.ameriglo.net/sights/calculator

Use a wood dowel (or brass punch), and a small hammer, and bump the side of the rear sight. Do it at the range, so you can see whether further adjustment is required.
Old June 29, 2012, 10:16 AM   #3
Crow Hunter

Quote:
Hi folks;
First time poster here. I just bought a new gen 4 g17 and after going to the range the other day I find that it is shooting left. Even after 300 rounds it's about 2-3 inches left at 7 yards. I then pick up my fathers brand new g22 and put 5 in the bull at 15 yards first try? Can the sights be adjusted? Does mine have a defect?
It is a possibility.

But 1st thing to check. Which grip panel were you using? Small/Medium/Large?

Is your Father's G22 a Gen 3 or Gen 4?

If Gen 4, which size grip panel were you using on his gun?

One of the classic problems with people new to shooting Glocks (myself included) is "trigger biceping". If you get too much of your finger into the trigger guard when you pull the trigger back the bottom part of your finger will swell up just like you were flexing a bicep muscle. This will push the gun slighting to the left for a right handed shooter (opposite for left hander) right at the moment of ignition and you usually don't even notice you are doing it.

The easiest fix is to not put so much finger in the trigger (use just the pad of your index finger to test this). This is made easier with the Gen 4 because you can put the bigger grip on it. With Gen 3, you have to slightly modify your grip.

If none of those are true. Compare the barrel between the two. Take them out and look at them from the business end. There have been Glock barrels where the mandrel was offcenter and when the rifling was formed and it isn't true to the locking surfaces.

I had a G19 years ago that shot left no matter what I did and it also threw brass at my forehead all the time. (I had 7 others that were fine).

Have someone else shoot it, if you have 3 people that all shoot left with it, most likely it is the gun.

Good luck.
Old June 29, 2012, 10:17 AM   #4
dayman

the only thing I'd add is to have someone else shoot they g19 before you adjust the sights. If everyone shoots left it's the gun, if not you just need to get used to the trigger.

- I see I was beaten to the punch on that one
Old June 29, 2012, 01:11 PM   #5
Reich

Thanks for the help guys, I have many things to think about. I know both Glocks were straight out of the box from the dealer ie no grip extensions were added and both are gen 4s. Could it be my finger pull, I dunno it was something I was paying attention to. Both guns felt the same to me.

Reich
Old June 29, 2012, 03:21 PM   #6
Crow Hunter

Quote:
Thanks for the help guys, I have many things to think about. I know both Glocks were straight out of the box from the dealer ie no grip extensions were added and both are gen 4s. Could it be my finger pull, I dunno it was something I was paying attention to. Both guns felt the same to me.
If it was straight out of the box it probably has the small (as in no) backstrap attached.

That is the smallest grip circumference and will naturally cause you to have more finger in the trigger and if you have meaty hands, it will exacerbate it.

Try it with the medium backstrap and the large backstrap and see if it changes anything before you go to the trouble of adjusting anything. (Backstrap changes are easy and free.)

I started shooting a G21 (large grip) and switched to G23 (smaller) and I immediately had problems shooting left.

It happens.

Good luck.

Tags
glock , sight problem