The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 21, 2010, 09:52 PM   #1
siv

Private Firearm Purchase

Hey guys I need a little bit of information from the experts here,
I am looking at buying a gun from a private seller. It is a long rifle so it shouldn't be a problem that I'm 20 years old. I just want to know what kind of paper work I need to get my hands on to make sure I do this legally. I live in Minnesota by the way.
Thanks,
siv
Old October 21, 2010, 10:43 PM   #2
Xfire68

I believe all that is needed is you to write up a bill of sale with the firearms serial number and your name address as will as the sellers.
Old October 22, 2010, 06:43 AM   #3
blume357

What you are asking will depend on your State's firearm laws

even though I'm sure there are folks here that can answer your question... a specific state forum would be best.

with that said, most states, and I assume MN is one of them... actually require nothing for a private firearm sale/transfer as long as both parties can legally own the gun and are both residents of that state.
Old October 22, 2010, 12:31 PM   #4
brickeyee

Quote:
I believe all that is needed is you to write up a bill of sale with the firearms serial number and your name address as will as the sellers.
Absent a STATE law requiring this, federal law require NOTHING.
Old October 22, 2010, 01:06 PM   #5
Xfire68

From what I have read as long as your buying a rifle and not a pistol or assault weapon you don't have to keep any records but, IMO it's always a good idea to cover your arse.

Quote:
624.7131 Subd. 10. Transfer report not required. A person who transfers a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon to a person exhibiting a valid transferee permit issued pursuant to this section or a valid permit to carry issued pursuant to section 624.714 is not required to file a transfer report pursuant to section 624.7132, subdivision
The seller of a weapon should always keep a record to keep things from getting hairy down the road if the gun was used for a crime.
Old October 22, 2010, 03:09 PM   #6
tighty whitey

Bill of Sale

The suggestion of a Bill of Sale is a good one. It is not gun law related but simply sound practice in any contracted sale. As a seller I would definitely want proof that my ownership of the gun terminated on a specific date and the Bill of Sale is evidence of that date.
Old October 22, 2010, 06:07 PM   #7
brickeyee

Quote:
The suggestion of a Bill of Sale is a good one. It is not gun law related but simply sound practice in any contracted sale. As a seller I would definitely want proof that my ownership of the gun terminated on a specific date and the Bill of Sale is evidence of that date.
And since you could have written it up anytime it is going to have very little weight in anything.
Old October 22, 2010, 06:48 PM   #8
K_Mac

This link defines Illinois law in this situation. I would expect most states have some requirements for record keeping, but I could be wrong. Illinois is very restrictive in its laws. The firearms laws for all states are readily available online. I would check to make sure.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/9-049.pdf
Old October 23, 2010, 09:22 AM   #9
brickeyee

"I would expect most states have some requirements for record keeping, "

Virginia has no law requiring any records be created or maintained by a private (non-FFL) seller.

We also do not have FOID cards or any of that BS.

You walk into the store, fill out he 4473 and state form, pay your money, the FFL calls the state police for a NICS check, you walk out with your new gun.

You can even conceal a new handgun on the way home if desired (nothing on the carry permit says ANYTHING about what gun can be carried).
Old October 23, 2010, 10:00 AM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighty whitey
A bill of sale is of use only if both parties keep a copy and it contains the full names, addresses, and signatures of both parties. Since one of the attractions of buying face to face is no paper trail, why would anyone WANT to create a paper trail that's not required by law? Do as you please, but if I want a firearm with a paper trail I'd just has happily buy from my local FFL. (Unfortunately, I'm in one of those states where I don't have a choice, but that's another story.)
Old October 23, 2010, 10:45 AM   #11
Xfire68

Quote:
A bill of sale is of use only if both parties keep a copy and it contains the full names, addresses, and signatures of both parties. Since one of the attractions of buying face to face is no paper trail, why would anyone WANT to create a paper trail that's not required by law? Do as you please, but if I want a firearm with a paper trail I'd just has happily buy from my local FFL. (Unfortunately, I'm in one of those states where I don't have a choice, but that's another story.)
One of the biggest reasons for creating a "Paper Trail" is if your the original owner and you bought it at a local gun shop that gun is in your name and there is paperwork. Getting more paperwork from a buyer passes on that gun to him/her and you have at least some prof of that.

I don't invite more government into my life ever but, some simple steps to cover your own rear end is always good practice.
Old October 23, 2010, 02:22 PM   #12
brickeyee

Quote:
One of the biggest reasons for creating a "Paper Trail" is if your the original owner and you bought it at a local gun shop that gun is in your name and there is paperwork.
You just look at them and say "I sold it."

End of discussion.
Old October 23, 2010, 09:03 PM   #13
K_Mac

Brickeyee the OP asked for information about the purchase of a rifle from a private owner. I am happy that Virginia has the good sense to not require gun owner identification cards or any sort of record keeping. To assume other states are the same could be an expensive mistake. I think some of the gun laws in Illinois violate my 2A rights. I comply because a felony conviction is not something I want to risk.
Old October 23, 2010, 09:19 PM   #14
chris in va

Quote:
You can even conceal a new handgun on the way home if desired (nothing on the carry permit says ANYTHING about what gun can be carried).
Provided you already have a CHL.
Old October 24, 2010, 10:10 AM   #15
brickeyee

Quote:
nothing on the carry permit says ANYTHING about what gun can be carried
Quote:
Provided you already have a CHL.
RIF.

The statement covers the permit issue already.

The point is that Virginia allows you to carry any handgun you want, unlike some other states that limit you to guns actually listed on the permit.
Old October 25, 2010, 11:55 AM   #16
siv

Thanks for all the info guys!