The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 20, 2005, 07:08 PM   #1
saands

Which brand of dies?

I only own about 20 sets of dies, but with one exception they are all Lee sets so I have very little experience with the other makers. I'm looking at picking up a 450 Marlin, but Lee doesn't make that flavor ... so ... are there any substantive differences between the Hornady, Lyman, and RCBS sets? Also, anyone know if my 300 WinMag shell holder will work with these belted beasts?

TIA,
Saands
Old December 20, 2005, 07:26 PM   #2
badaceds650

loading dies

i have hornaday rcbs and lee and i would rate the lee 1 rcbs 2 hornaday 3 but there basically the same
Old December 20, 2005, 07:55 PM   #3
Tim R

DO NOT get a RCBS carbide set of dies. If you do, you will start replacing your Lee sets.
Old December 20, 2005, 08:53 PM   #4
BigJakeJ1s

I really like the hornady seat/crimp die with the sliding sleeve to align the bullet/case before seating. The optional micrometer adjuster is nice too. Their sizing dies are good, and their lock rings are the best.

Andy
Old December 21, 2005, 01:27 AM   #5
somerled

I lean toward Redding dies. I particularly enjoy the deluxe sets for rifle cartridges containing both full-length and neck-sizing dies. RCBS dies are fine in most cases, but I avoid using the small base and carbide sizer dies because of previous woes. The carbide rings have popped out of two .357 Mag. RCBS carbide sizer dies. I've never had problems with Lee dies, although some people instantly comment how cheap and worthless Lee products are. Hornady dies work well. I haven't had good results with two sets of Lyman dies.

Yes, the shellholder will interchange.
Old December 21, 2005, 08:15 AM   #6
jsflagstad

I've always used RCBS but...

I have always used RCBS carbide dies, and in all fairness they have served me rather well. I do have 1 Redding die set for 7mm rem mag, and that is about my least favorite set. Recently, I purchased a Lee 9mm Luger 4 die set and I really like it. It was an absolute bargain at $25 new from Midway. I will definately buy another set from Lee as they do a very nice job and are real easy to setup.

It seems from reading here that there is a lot of personal preference backing up most brands as being decent. Based on that, you could probably get the job done with any brand that offers your caliber.

I believe that your shell holder will work.

Have Fun!

JSF
Old December 21, 2005, 08:36 AM   #7
saands

Actually, no one has stepped up to the plate to defend the Lyman (which is the cheapest I've found in 450 Marlin) so I will probably go with the RCBS which I can get with the same shipment as my components and other stuff from Midway (they are currently sold out of the Hornady dies).

Thanks for the input ... now to decide on whether or not to buy the rifle

Saands
Old December 27, 2005, 10:15 PM   #8
Jseime

i have the hornady custom grade new dimension 2 piece set for my .270 and i sure like them the seating die is really nice
Old December 28, 2005, 02:03 AM   #9
J.D.B.

All my dies are Redding. Once I tried them I slowly added them (over and over).
Josh
Old December 28, 2005, 10:38 PM   #10
BigJakeJ1s

If you'll be loading cast bullets much, I forgot to mention that the hornady seater can be disassembled for cleaning, while still on the press if desired, without affecting the crimp or OAL settings. Just pull the little spring clip off, and the sleeve and seater plug come out the bottom. Comes in handy with the bullet lube and gunk that collects in the seater die after a lot of cast bullets are run through them. Dillon also has this feature, at least on their pistol dies.

Andy
Old December 29, 2005, 01:24 AM   #11
6mm4me

Location: kansas city area at the present, but Colorado and Wyoming have been home. Lived 2 years in the middle east.
Lee dies

Only problem I have had with them is pulling the primer punch rod out in necked cases at times. It's a slip fit compared to RCBS threaded rods. The last few Lee dies I bought come with a crimp dies added which is nice but both dies will crimp if adjusted to do so.
Old December 29, 2005, 09:50 PM   #12
saands

I ended up getting a set of Hornady dies and TOTALLY forgot that only Lee includes the shell hoder Sooooooooo ... I have everything I need to load 450 Marlin but the shell holder (my 300 WinMag shell hoder is wintering on the coast )

Oh well ... the dies look nice!

Thanks for the input,

Saands