The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 29, 2000, 10:29 AM   #1
Coolray

As I was reading the USA Today this A.M. I saw this tid bit never would have thought of this way for population control of Deer.

Wednesday, November 22
Groton - A birth control program for deer wasn't effective in reducing herds, the state concluded after a three-year study. In a residential neighborhood, shotguns replaced contraceptive-filled tranquilizer guns this week to reduce the deer population. The Humane Society of the United States, which ran the study with the state, still believes contraceptives can be effective.

Old November 29, 2000, 04:37 PM   #2
jtduncan

What a bunch of freakin idiots. What . . . deer condoms and diaphrams next?

When will they ever learn that deer hunting ensures the health of the herd?

I guess the folks in Conn will have to continue hitting deer and getting into car-deer accidents until common sense prevails.

Deer meat can and does fill many people's freezers and helps to reduce their food bills.
Old November 29, 2000, 07:51 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The only difference between HSUS and PETA is that HSUS doesn't support the Animal Liberation Front (ALF). ALF is the terrorist group which goes around letting animals out of cages to die in the boonies, and bombs laboratories.

HSUS has nothing to do with humane treatment of animals, in the traditional, dictionary meaning of the words. It is strictly a political lobbying group against hunting.

Art
Old November 30, 2000, 01:41 AM   #4
Field-dressed

The HSUS weaseled thier way into trying to control the Ididarod Sled Dog race in Alaska, claiming that it was cruel to dogs. This despite the facts that the dogs are better cared for than most, healthier, and obviously love to run. The number of dogs that actually die during the race (a few out of 600 or more) is a small fraction of the general dog population that dies for health reasons and accidents that are merely pets. The Ididarod finally threw them out, but not before the HSUS did their damage to the race. Bastages!!!