The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 9, 2009, 10:05 PM   #26
seaville

fish on a stick

When my 2 boys were young we went fishing a lot in the summer. One of their favorite things to do was to eat fish on a stick.
I would gut the fish and then stick a stick in its mouth an shove it down into the body cavity. Then we would each roast our own fish over an open flame.
The scales and skin of the fish would protect the meat. When it's done in a short time you just pull back the charded skin and have fresh and tasty fish. We never used seasonings, but salt or powdered fake butter would be good.

ps. be careful of the bones, I ate fish almost every day when I was a kid, so the bones were no issue.
Old March 9, 2009, 10:16 PM   #27
ojibweindian

To the OP:

I hate to tell you this, but the squirrel and rabbit seasons ended on the last day of February. There's a hog hunt going on right now in the Black Warrior WMA, but that ends tomorrow.

If the biologist or the game wardens catch you poaching, you're gonna get legally worked over real hard. You might want to reconsider packing in a few days worth of food, and tackle to fashion a rudimentary fishing pole.
Old March 9, 2009, 10:44 PM   #28
SavageMOA

Just found that out. Guess that messes up the plans pretty bad.
Old March 9, 2009, 10:55 PM   #29
B. Lahey

Fish are your friends. They taste better than squirrel anyway.
Old March 9, 2009, 11:01 PM   #30
SavageMOA

Unfortunately, my friend has been going here for several years now and has never been able to catch a fish where we're going.
Old March 9, 2009, 11:32 PM   #31
kbuck

Hey friend, the Sipsey Wilderness Area is as close to virgin North American forest as you'll find. In that part of Alabama over five inches of rain fell in one day this week- the water is still high. The Sipsey River is Earth Headquarters for Cottonmouths, and they are out. Try to find a copy of the Discovering Alabama program by Dr. Doug Phillips that covers the Sipsey. It can be purchased from U of Alabama Productions( or whatever) It will be filled with a tremendous amount of Sipsey experience and general woods lore. You might try googling for walking trails in Alabama, I think there is something there about walking the Sipsey. If things look really tough, there are several restaurants, motels, and supermarkets nearby! Good Luck!
Old March 10, 2009, 04:31 AM   #32
HiBC

Don't scrap your trip!! Take one mountain house meal per day,plus a power bar and some of the little electrolyte tubes.Then fish,too.At least you have a fallback plan.If you catch fish,great!!

If you want to feel tougher than that,Spam and oatmeal!!

A poncho and poncho liner are good,relative to nothing.Somebody said 5 in of rain?
It will be good experience.Just commit to having a good time.You might read up on a Colorado fellow,Alferd Packer.Is your friend a Democrat?
Old March 10, 2009, 06:11 PM   #33
SavageMOA

haha my friend is just about as far right as they come. He wants to go since this will most likely be his last camping trip till he enlists in the Army.
Old March 10, 2009, 10:18 PM   #34
Daryl

You know, I've been on trips like that.

Never intentionally though. A buddy and I used to spend a lot of time outdoors when we were teens, and we'd oft-times run out of food when we decided to stay longer than we originally expected.

Mostly, it becomes survival first, and there isn't much fun about it. Eating quail, dove, rabbits and such with no seasonings isn't something you'll look back on with fond memories.

I can remember my buddy talking me into getting a fire going once, and he'd go up the mountain with his shotgun to get a bunch of quail. After the fire had died down a few times, and I'd taken him more shells a time or two, he finally came back with two little quail.

No salt, cooked on a green stick held over the fire, and he ate his nearly raw because he was so hungry. Luckily, another hunter came by just after Daniel finished his quail, and offered me some salt to go on mine.

I much prefer such trips to include a dutch oven, some 'taters, onions, a can of mushrooms and another of cream of mushroom soup, and about a dozen quail.

You simmer the quail in the mushroom soup, thinned with a can of water, with mushrooms and a bit of onions added to the mix. While that's cooking, wrap a couple of 'taters in foil, and let them bake in the fire.

When it's all done, eat the potato smothered with the gravy that the quail were simmered in, and founder yourself on as many quail as you can eat.

Works just as well with rabbits and/or squirrels.

Some Bisquick is really nice to have along, too. Dutch oven bisquits go pretty good in the morning with gravy on them from the quail fixed the night before.

Yeah, I can rough it, but I won't if I don't have to!

Daryl
Old March 10, 2009, 10:41 PM   #35
Inspector3711

Roots and snails... You got slugs down there? You can eat em' if you boil them for 20 minutes.
Old March 11, 2009, 12:45 AM   #36
gunn308

Hey Savage, when you said all the men in your family are taught at a young age to clean fish my estimation of you went way down on the scale, in my family the women clean the fish and game so we the men can spend more time on the important stuff mainly huntin & fishin. LOL I generally take a lot of Lipton/Knorrs or whatever dried soup, Ramen noodles, quick cookin rice, oatmeal, raisins, corn meal & flour mix in a ziploc and freeze dried veggies and a container of olive oil plus spices in ziplocs everything is light and doesn't spoil and a Katydn water filter. Hey have fun but be safe and smart.