The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 24, 2010, 04:26 PM   #1
skj

Uberti Dragoon

Does anyone here own a 2rd and 3rd model Uberti Dragoon? I would like to know if the 2rd model trigger guard (square one) will fit on the 3rd model.
Old December 24, 2010, 04:49 PM   #2
wittzo

I think so. I read about someone buying either a 2nd or 3rd model trigger guard and swapping them because the original guard was uncomfortable to shoot. I guess Uberti uses the same basic frame for all three Dragoons, the only difference is the trigger guard, bolts, and cylinders.

You might have to do some minor fitting for a replacement guard to fit, but that can be said about any BP gun part. The bits get swapped out as they get worn and the machines get re-adjusted as the tools are swapped out or worn.
Old December 24, 2010, 05:48 PM   #3
mykeal

wittzo is correct. You will lessen the amount of fitting, if any, if you stay with the same manufacturer's parts.
Old December 24, 2010, 08:01 PM   #4
Hellgate

Ditto Mykeal,
ASM and Pietta parts, especially where there are screw holes involved often do not interchange. Springs are likely to fit fine.
Hellgate
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old December 24, 2010, 09:28 PM   #5
sergestorm

Keep in mind that the grips, triggerguard, and backstrap are "hand-fitted" to the frame. That means the unfinished pieces are assembled to the frame then ground down and polished. You may get lucky and the new parts fit nicely but the odds are against it. If you want it to look and fit like factory new, start with unfinished parts (all three, grip, backstrap, and triggerguard)
Cover the frame with masking tape and carefully file and sand the parts until they match up on the edges.
Old December 25, 2010, 10:01 AM   #6
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergestorm
Keep in mind that the grips, triggerguard, and backstrap are "hand-fitted" to the frame. That means the unfinished pieces are assembled to the frame then ground down and polished. You may get lucky and the new parts fit nicely but the odds are against it. If you want it to look and fit like factory new, start with unfinished parts (all three, grip, backstrap, and triggerguard)
Cover the frame with masking tape and carefully file and sand the parts until they match up on the edges.
+1

I just measured four Dragoons here on my bench and they run from .977 to 1.013 in width at the trigger. I "new" replacement part well more than likely be wider and need fitting.