The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 18, 2013, 03:33 PM   #1
deerslayer303

Anyone Have One of These?

This shotgun was given to me by my father years ago, it was given to him by someone he worked with. Its a YL-12 12ga. Eagle 96 Made in China. Its a pump action bottom eject. 19" smooth bore barrel, cyl. choke. It has become my go to slug gun. Its shoots Win, and Rem rifled slugs VERY well. I've pretty much by trial and error learned how to take it down. I was just wondering if any of you have seen one of these or could offer anymore info on it. It was imported by Intrac Arms Knox. TN. Its gotta be a clone of something.

Old January 18, 2013, 03:47 PM   #2
Microgunner

I think it's a copy of an Ithaca 37.
Old January 18, 2013, 06:50 PM   #3
alex0535

If it didn't have the rail and high front sight it would look a bit like an FN Herstal 12 gauge we have.
Old January 19, 2013, 08:40 AM   #4
CaptainChaos

Quote:
I think it's a copy of an Ithaca 37.
That's what *I* thought.

Regards,

Mark.
Old January 19, 2013, 08:02 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

These were fairly close (but not exact) copies of the Ithaca Model 37.
Most parts will likely not interchange with a real Ithaca.

The early guns were frankly, pretty crude and roughly made internally, and you'd see some parts that were way too soft and wore fast. Later, quality did improve.
Old January 19, 2013, 08:53 PM   #6
deerslayer303

I have no idea when it was made. The parts on the inside are kind of roughly finished. But it hasn't broke.............yet. Probably inevitable though. But for a freebie I'll run it till it breaks. It has the same kind of take down screws as that other Ithaca 37 I saw on here. They are on both sides of the receiver towards the rear. Its a flat head screw (kind of cut out 4 places around the head) with another tiny flat head screw to lock it in place. I don't know what these are for. Could someone give me some insight. I know I didn't explain that right so I may have to take a pic.
Old January 19, 2013, 09:07 PM   #7
deerslayer303

This little do dad right here. The one on top.

Old January 19, 2013, 09:29 PM   #8
barnbwt

Fiddling with the M37 that I picked up today (old PD beater with the slam-fire trigger ) I find that moving the carrier arms up/down wiggles that screw a bit; my guess is it is the pivot for the shell carrier.

That shotgun you have is, according to Wikipedia, single-handedly responsible for the M37's fall from preeminence in America.
Quote:
Interestingly, Ithaca's loss of market share was hastened by competition from a copy of the shotgun. Chinese copies of the Ithaca 37 have been imported recently
So, it's all your fault

TCB
Old January 19, 2013, 11:00 PM   #9
deerslayer303

Quote:
That shotgun you have is, according to Wikipedia, single-handedly responsible for the M37's fall from preeminence in America.
Dang CHINESE!!! I never really would have thought someone would buy this over a true Ithaca. But then again the price of these were probably stupid cheap. Then I turn around and buy a Pardner Protector (<<<made in china) which is a loose copy of an 870 as far as I can tell. Man I'm batting a thousand ain't I??
Old January 20, 2013, 12:28 AM   #10
okiewita40

Deerslayer don't beat your self up too bad on the china guns. I just got a rock island armory 12 ga pump. It was made in the Phillipines.
Old January 20, 2013, 02:18 AM   #11
Scorch

Quote:
It has the same kind of take down screws as that other Ithaca 37 I saw on here. They are on both sides of the receiver towards the rear. Its a flat head screw (kind of cut out 4 places around the head) with another tiny flat head screw to lock it in place. I don't know what these are for.
Well, if you don't know what they're for, it's always a good idea to leave things alone.

The two screws in question are not takedown screws or anything of that sort. They are the pivot screws for the carrier. If you get them too tight, you won't be able to cycle the action. So unless you know how to properly adjust them, leave them alone. From the looks of it, the previous owner also used cheap screwdrivers in all of the slots to try to "fix sumpthin" that wasn't wrong with the gun. Get a disassembly manual and get to know the workings of your new shotgun.
Old January 20, 2013, 02:35 AM   #12
CaptainChaos

The bottom screw in that last photo is the trigger plate screw. Do *not* undo it without taking the stock off *first*. (That's probably why it's a bit damaged - the stock pulls on the end of the trigger plate and, hence, makes the trigger plate screw very tight if the stock isn't taken off first.)

Read this before you take it apart:

stevespages.com/pdf/ithaca_3787.pdf

Regards,

Mark.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:22 AM   #13
deerslayer303

Quote:
Well, if you don't know what they're for, it's always a good idea to leave things alone.
You're Absolutely right, hence the WHOLE POINT of this post is to LEARN what they are for. And if I could find an assembly manual for a hand me down shotgun that was imported with probably minimal after the sale support I would gladly read it. But thank you for the parent like chastising.

Captainchaos,

Thank you for the link and info.