The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 27, 2008, 10:17 AM   #1
jneilson

Heard of Brunton scopes?

Are Brunton scopes any good? Their NRA Sports Optics Hunting series is on sale and I'm real tempted with the prices I'm seeing.
Old June 27, 2008, 10:24 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

They have decades of experience with precision optics, mostly in surveying instrumentation. Their lensatic compass is world class. They're relatively new to scopes, but I know of no reason to avoid them.
Old June 27, 2008, 10:38 AM   #3
arizona hunter

They also make some very fine binos. The scopes though are new. I do not know if they make their own or are imported.
Old June 27, 2008, 05:37 PM   #4
hps1

Don't know anything about their scopes, but I have a pair of their Epoch binoculars that I have used hard for the past 3-4 years. I do ADC on several ranches and spend about 200 days in the field in very dusty conditions.

Last year, I noticed the objective lenses appeared to have an oily coating on the lense or lense was scratched enough to cloud vision. At the NRA convention in St. Louis, I spoke with Brunton's sales manager about the problem. He gave me a Brunton cleaning kit and said if that did not remove the blemish to call him and he would give me return instructions and that the binoculars would be replaced under their unconditional guarantee.

I noticed they had a new camo version of the Epoch that was not available when I got mine and asked if I could upgrade should it be necessary to return. He said that would be OK. Long story short, the lenses were scratched so I sent them back and within 10-12 days a new pair of camo binoculars arrived in a new, improved carrying case; all at no charge.

With customer service like that, you could hardly go wrong w/Brunton.

Regards,
hps
Old June 27, 2008, 07:54 PM   #5
jneilson

Thanks for the replies. Brunton sounds like a good company that has quality products. They seem new to the scope market since most of their scopes are on sale. I'll get one and fill everyone in on it soon.
Old June 27, 2008, 08:27 PM   #6
sholling

Their scopes are getting pretty poor user reviews over on MidwayUSA. According to the reviewers they aren't holding up to the hard recoiling rifles.

Tags
brunton , optics , scope