The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 14, 2013, 11:35 AM   #1
.50cal packer

would like some suggestions.

like most of us here, one milsurp just isn't enough. I have a list of some C & R's that i want to acquire shortly. I would like some suggestions of some other really cool shooters that fall into this category. Remember I'm new, so excuse my ignorance if some of these aren't desirable to you.
1. M24/47 Yugo mauser
2. M98/29 Persian mauser
3. Swiss 96/11
4. Steyr Mannlicher 1895
5. SKS M59/66 A1
6. M1 Garand
7. Arisaka Type 99

Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks
Old February 14, 2013, 12:16 PM   #2
Unspoken

The Yugo sks is a great shooter, totally reliable, and easy to find ammo for. It has a bunch of superfluous hardware though, like the grenade launcher sights and a beefier stock than the other SKSs. I have 5 countries' SKS variants, and the Yugo is my favorite.

I've never handled a 96/11, but I absolutely love my k31s and 1911 carbine. You'll never go wrong with Swiss milsurp, they're all built like tanks. The Swiss ammo isn't corrosive either.

I had to sell my Arisaka. The ammo is expensive and hard for me to find. If you reload, or you have massive loads of cash, then I suppose it wouldn't be a problem.

I think federal law mandates every C&R guy own a Garand. As of now, I'm breaking that law. It's the next acquisition on my list tho.

I just acquired a Mosin M38 and a SVT 40. I highly suggest you look into them too.
Old February 14, 2013, 12:29 PM   #3
Cheapshooter

The first thing noticeably absent on your list is a Mosin Nagant.
Then, if you are in a state that allows it, there are many very good C&R handguns still available. From the Russian 1895 Nagant revolver, a very unique design, to the Czechoslovakian CZ 82. A 12+1 round, double stack compact semi-auto chambered in 9X18 Makarov caliber.
Also, I noticed in the latest flyer from SOG that they have Yugo Model 59 SKS. Same as the 59/66 only without the grenade launcher. Also the Albanian SKS that has several features unlike the others, and also used military Chinese SKS rifles. Another historically interesting C&R milsurp.

Here is a list of what I have seen advertised as being available lately that is not on your list:

Russian Mosin Nagant 01/30 round receiver
Russian Mosin Nagant 91/30 hex receiver
Russian Mosin Nagant Model 44
Chinese type 53 carbine (Mosin Nagant)
Yugo Model 59 SKS
Albanian SKS
Used, military surplus Chinese SKS

In C&R handguns:
1895 Nagant revolver
Romanian TTC Tokarev
Yugo M57 Tokarev variant
Walther P1 ( Post WWII P38)
Polish P64
CZ82

Not being advertised any where, but a possible gun show purchase is also one or more of the British SMLE Enfields. Makarov pistols, and 1911 milsurps. Although the 1911's can be quite pricey.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

Last edited by Cheapshooter; February 14, 2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old February 14, 2013, 01:05 PM   #4
.50cal packer

Thanks for some input guys. Yes, I have a mosin 91/30. So I didn't put it on there for a future purchase. But like i said, I know you just can't have one. I have a lee loader for reloading everything, just not the dies for everything. Didn't want to put the cart before the horse. I'm not a huge fan of carbines. The longer the gun, the better I like it. Interesting about the SKS though. You both enjoy them, but it has unnecessary stuff on it. Is the Chinese version of these a better choice? I don't want to be long winded, but I'm not a huge fan of semi-auto rifles anyway. Historically yes, Breaking them down no. So the best SKS for me would be original but without the bells and whistles. Which variety would cover that?
Old February 14, 2013, 02:06 PM   #5
Cheapshooter

Quote:
So the best SKS for me would be original but without the bells and whistles. Which variety would cover that?
In a C&R approved version it would be the Yugo 59 mainly because of the quality of the guns available compared to the used, milsurp Chinese rifles. They still have the attached blade type bayonet, but not the grenade launcher, grenade launcher sight, and gas shut off.
Don't know if they are still available though. the SOG flyer is a week or so old. Same with the Albanian. It has a different designed stock with a longer hand guard, a different designed magazine, and an AK style cocking handle as opposed to the round knob of other SKS models.

Albanian SKS:
http://www.southernohiogun.com/rare-...-62x39cal.html
Old February 14, 2013, 02:23 PM   #6
Unspoken

Honestly, the Chinese version would be my last choice. From a collector's standpoint, they're on the bottom of the totem pole. But they're abundant and cheap (well..they were cheap a few months back) and still solid, reliable shooters. I'd rather spend the extra bucks on the Russian or Albanian version though.

Don't fear breaking down an SKS. It's a breeze.

But if you're just not a fan of carbines or semis (you have TERRIBLE taste by the way ) maximize your happiness and go with a k31, 96/11, or one of those Mausers you listed.
Old February 14, 2013, 02:46 PM   #7
.50cal packer

Lol, Thanks unspoken. I planned on getting them all eventually. My unfamiliarity with semi-autos is my hold up. If you think SKS isn't so bad, I have no problems with them. Hints why it was on the list. With an open minded willingness to learn mentality, nothing is impossible. However, I still can't appreciate carbines to their full extent. Bad taste or not, they just aren't my thing. Nothing wrong with them at all. But to quote someone, somewhere on the net, " I can always use my gun as a pole vault if need be.
Old February 14, 2013, 03:01 PM   #8
Unspoken

I use my 91/30 as a bat @ my softball games.
Sometimes I'll stash it in my kayak, in case a gator eats my paddle.
Old February 14, 2013, 03:17 PM   #9
Erno86

You might want to put a Sterling semi auto on your list. Use only Sterling 32 round mags. Do not use Sten mags in your Sterling --- for they have been known to cause premature detonation.

They use original Sterling full auto receivers, which are converted to semi auto.

I have a Sterling Type 2 Carbine, with a full length ventilated barrel shroud; in 9 mm.

Don't forget to glue or Loc-Tite the two tiny stock pins.

There might be some full auto Sterling's around --- that sell for around $10,000 - $15,000.

Last edited by Erno86; February 14, 2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old February 14, 2013, 03:22 PM   #10
.50cal packer

What are your guys thoughts on the M41 Carcano?
Old February 14, 2013, 03:32 PM   #11
Erno86

If you want a loud boomer...buy a Hakim semi auto rifle in 8mm.
Old February 14, 2013, 03:41 PM   #12
Erno86

James River Armory... sells rebuilt 1903 Springfield's, M-1 Garand's/Carbines and K-98 German Mausers; which includes sniper rifles.

Last edited by Erno86; February 14, 2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old February 14, 2013, 04:40 PM   #13
Demo

Have you considered an Enfield?
Old February 14, 2013, 08:18 PM   #14
Cheapshooter

A couple thumbs up on the Hakim. Even though it is a semi-auto that the OP said he didn't care for, it certainly meets his criteria of not being a carbine. Not only could it be used to pole vault as he mentioned in a previous post, the action alone could proably be used as a ladder.
Old February 15, 2013, 09:12 AM   #15
jonnyc

Besides missing any Mosin-Nagants, you should also add an Enfield variation or two.
Old February 15, 2013, 04:27 PM   #16
SteveBonning

Just got this today from S. Carolina Guns for those looking for Hex Mosins:

SCGUNCO.COM

Hex receiver Mosin Nagant m91/30 rifles have just arrived. We have a small shipment of these rifles in stock - priced from $209!

$20 flat rate shipping anywhere in the USA.
ALL hex rifles come with a bayonet, ammo pouch, and tool kit.
ALL of our milsurp rifles are clean (ready to shoot).
ALL of our milsurp rifles have been checked with head space gauges.
YES - will will ship to California.
YES - we will ship to your C&R license.
We have a few Tula Hex m91/30's and we also have a handful of ex Dragoon rifles. Call or e-mail for pricing!

864 334 5151
Old February 15, 2013, 05:00 PM   #17
Cheapshooter

WOW, $209 for a 91/30.