The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 1, 2010, 08:54 PM   #1
kym

East coast bear...357 mag or .45 apc.

Going camping and don't expect any problems but I carry a pistol anyway. So if you had to chose between the two, which do you think would have the best chance stopping a bear. (or should I say which one would **** him off more?)
Old September 1, 2010, 09:02 PM   #2
zoomie

357 with 180gr hardcast.
Old September 1, 2010, 09:32 PM   #3
kym

Thank you Zoomie.
Old September 2, 2010, 11:06 AM   #4
GeauxTide

My standard answer for anything that weighs more than me and can eat me: 45 Caliber, 275gr LFN from 1050 - 1300fps.
Old September 2, 2010, 11:27 AM   #5
nathaniel

The 45 would work but shot placement is key. Now if it were me I'd be using the 357 but its just a personal preference.
Old September 2, 2010, 11:33 AM   #6
Buzzcook

Either. There is an article somewhere on the forum about an Oregon man killing a black bear with a 1911. There are many instances of bear being killed with .357.

Don't forget the bear spray.
Old September 2, 2010, 01:47 PM   #7
publius

I wouldn't feel undergunned with the ACP but would rather have a good 180 gr. hard cast SWC out of the .357.
Old September 2, 2010, 01:58 PM   #8
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Which one do you shoot better? Question answered when you answer that one.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old September 2, 2010, 02:33 PM   #9
shafter

What number bear thead is this for the week? I like a bear thread every now and then too but lately we've had 9mm, 10mm, rifles, shotguns, and now 357 vs 45.
Old September 2, 2010, 02:45 PM   #10
Deerhunter

Auto over a revolver. I would want all the extra bullets I could have. I hear those that said bullet placement but let me tell you (and if you don't agree your a better man than me) if a bear suddenly out of no where charges I am dumping the mag. I am not going to be looking for that perfect shot. My plan would to be aim for head and then hope for a lucky hit or that all the bullets flying at it would make it turn away.
Old September 5, 2010, 09:24 PM   #11
BIG P

YEP I like that 357 bear spray
Old September 5, 2010, 09:31 PM   #12
mikejonestkd

www.udap.com

Light to carry, very effective, and a whole lot cheaper than a firearm
Old September 6, 2010, 12:20 AM   #13
jgcoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhunter
My plan would to be aim for head and then hope for a lucky hit or that all the bullets flying at it would make it turn away.
Your plan sucks. Stay in VA.

You would be much better off with a can of bear spray than a gun.

Would you be so careless with your ammunition in a more populated setting against a two-legged attacker? What about if my 3 year-old daughter is standing behind your attacker?

What if my 3 year-old daughter is just behind that bush that you sprayed-n-prayed towards when the wee wittle bear cub jumped onto the trail?

Get some real training or get rid of your guns.

It is safe for you to assume that the spray and pray crowd disgust me to no discernible end...

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old September 6, 2010, 11:25 AM   #14
Legionnaire

.357 mag with a good hard-cast LSWC.
Old September 9, 2010, 06:12 PM   #15
grubbylabs

Bear spray first and then 44 mag. 45 acp is not even a consideration.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old September 9, 2010, 06:26 PM   #16
Deerhunter

jgcoastie......Before you go shooting your mouth off. You ever think that maybe, just maybe there was another way to rea that other than the way you took it. I never said anything about spraying and praying. My fault for not pointing out that "All the bullets" were well aimed shots. I have plenty of training. He was asking about bullet / Guns to use. So I answered that I would want the semi auto. Anyway, next time you want to spout off about something think about the fact that maybe you read it wrong or maybe I made a mistake and just didn't clarify enough for you. Again I have plenty of training and wouldn't just start spraying bullets. I don't need to justify the level of training or my shooting ability to you and I wont.
Old September 9, 2010, 07:41 PM   #17
jmr40

The opinion of folks who have actually been around bears carries a bit more weight with me. Coasties opinions are valid. I've been around a few east coast black bears. Killed one and helped drag a few others out of the woods. While most weight 200 lbs or less there are a few 500+ lb bears out there.

Pepper spray really makes more sense for most people. Given your options a 357 properly loaded is a much better choice. My personal choice is a Glock in 10mm. 357 mag power in a better package. I'm more concerned about 2 legged predators anyway.
Old September 10, 2010, 12:22 AM   #18
jgcoastie

Quote:
jgcoastie......Before you go shooting your mouth off. You ever think that maybe, just maybe there was another way to rea that other than the way you took it. I never said anything about spraying and praying. My fault for not pointing out that "All the bullets" were well aimed shots.
Again I have plenty of training and wouldn't just start spraying bullets. I don't need to justify the level of training or my shooting ability to you and I wont.
Maybe you should read what you wrote before you accuse me of just "shooting my mouth off"...

This is what you wrote:
Quote:
My plan would to be aim for head and then hope for a lucky hit or that all the bullets flying at it would make it turn away.
emphasis added by me

If you're hoping for a lucky hit; you're not putting well-aimed shots into the bear.

Like I said; your plan sucks. Stay in VA.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old September 10, 2010, 06:00 AM   #19
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Again I have plenty of training and wouldn't just start spraying bullets.
This is in conflict with what you wrote a couple of posts back:

Quote:
if a bear suddenly out of no where charges I am dumping the mag.
The plain fact is, if a bear is rushing you, aimed shots, and certainly head shots, are out the window. You're better served by knowing how to spot the presence of bears and avoiding those areas.

I've gotten this question a lot more than usual lately, and the fact is, handguns are not a great choice for this. Bears are thick-skinned animals with a high pain tolerance. They are fast. Furthermore, we're heading into fall, which means they're going to be gearing up for hibernation soon. They can be very aggressive during that period.

Seriously, you do not want a confrontation with a bear. If it decides to rush you, the chances of it ending well are slim at best.

Factory .45 ACP loadings are not going to cut it. They don't have the penetration. The recommendation for 180gr .357 cast loads is much better, but even then, only against smaller black bears for the most part.

Honestly, if I had to go into an area with medium to large bears for some reason, it'd be a decent rifle or a shotgun with slugs.
Old September 10, 2010, 12:32 PM   #20
grubbylabs

Here is something to ponder

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1045618

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old September 10, 2010, 03:00 PM   #21
davlandrum

I am starting to think I must stink to bears or something, since I am close to 50 and have never had a bear attack me. The only black bears that have noticed me immediately have ran as fast as they could away from me...

I am scared to death of cougars, and if I was in grizzly country I would take more precautions, but strictly black bear areas I don't worry about anything.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old September 10, 2010, 04:00 PM   #22
jgcoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelandrum
I am starting to think I must stink to bears or something, since I am close to 50 and have never had a bear attack me. The only black bears that have noticed me immediately have ran as fast as they could away from me...

I am scared to death of cougars, and if I was in grizzly country I would take more precautions, but strictly black bear areas I don't worry about anything.
I went with some shipmates to recover a vehicle in Saltry Cove on Tuesday. Saw at least 8 or 9 bears that afternoon/evening. All were well within bow range.

That's why I carry a Marlin 1895STP (.45/70). It's cumbersome and uncomfortable at times, but if the spray don't work... It will be worth double it's weight in gold.
Old September 10, 2010, 04:51 PM   #23
Deerhunter

So what your saying is that "Dumping the mag" into a bear that is charging you is a bad idea. I believe that someone mentioned that bears have tough skin and a high tolerance of pain. So that is where the "Hope for a lucky shot" comes in. Even if you hit it with every shot there is no way with a bear charging at you that you are going to hold perfectly still and hit exactly where you want to with every shot. Just not going to happen. So again I appologize for not making myself more clear to you.

Here is what I should have wrote so you would understand it better......I would want the semi auto pistol over the revolver. That would give me more shots if needed. If a bear where to charge I would want the extra shots if needed as I put well aimed shots into the bear's head. Seeing how he is charging you that is the best shot you have.

Quote:
That's why I carry a Marlin 1895STP (.45/70). It's cumbersome and uncomfortable at times, but if the spray don't work... It will be worth double it's weight in gold
I have never carried bear spray. Not sure how far it is good for but I am guessing that if it doesn't work the bear will be too close and it wont matter what your carrying.
Old September 10, 2010, 05:14 PM   #24
davlandrum

Coastie - Don't blame you a bit, but Alaska bears are a whole lot different than most black bears encountered in the lower 48.

Stay safe!

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old September 10, 2010, 05:41 PM   #25
jgcoastie

Quote:
I have never carried bear spray. Not sure how far it is good for but I am guessing that if it doesn't work the bear will be too close and it wont matter what your carrying.
I've used it with good results before. Turned away two bears from being too close for my comfort.

There was a juvenile that wasn't fazed at all by the spray and I then started looking at the 10mm I was carrying and about wet myself when I really started thinking about it. I figured it was time to go big or go home.

The spray is in a holster on my belt. The Marlin is in my hand.