The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 26, 2008, 10:39 AM   #1
AJG

Mossy under the tree!

Santa was AWESOME this year! Found a Mossy 500 w/24" rifled slug barrel w/a scope. A 28" accu choke w/ 3 chokes both with vent ribs. Gonna make a trip to stock up on ammo for it later this afternoon.

Question though... I know I need sabot slugs for the rifled slug barrel, but can I safely shoot 00 buck thru the slug barrel as well?

AWESOME XMAS!
Old December 26, 2008, 12:00 PM   #2
zippy13

Congratulations! Santa was very good to you.

00-buck in the rifled barrel will work but leave a nasty mess behind. In the smooth barrel it's A-OK -- use your biggest choke.
Old December 26, 2008, 12:19 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I doubt the mess is bad as long as the shot is in a cup. But the pattern will be horrible from what I hear due to the grooves spinning the load so it exits the gun like a hurricane spinning.
Brent
Old December 26, 2008, 12:23 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Zippy do you mean biggest choke to be tightest or largest hole? I prefer to term them as tightest or loosest choke. The choke size is only to accomplish best groups at the range you intend to shoot. Start loose and constrict from there. If your choke is too tight, pattern will open back up and you will see flyers as a result of squashed shot.
Brent
Old December 26, 2008, 12:42 PM   #5
zippy13

Oops...
Sorry for the confusion --- Brent, you're absolutely correct. I should have said the choke with the biggest hole (least constriction). You're right about choke selection, too -- I was still thinking slugs, my bad.