The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 11, 2008, 07:36 PM   #1
10 Spot Terminator

Can I Use A Thick Old Aluminum Kettle To Melt Lead In ???

I have been reading all of the forum threads here and on other sites in preperation to start casting bullets . I have over 150 lbs. of wheel weights I will be rendering into small ingots to start . Many of the higher volume casters who melt larger quantities of lead at one time use a cast iron pot . I have been looking for a used one for weeks with no luck and dont feel like spending $35.00 for a new one. I have an old very heavy aluminum kettle the same size as an average dutch oven but dont know if this is a good idea or not. I checked the melt temp of aluminum and it is 1220 degrees. Lead is 621, zinc 787, tin 450 so I should be ok in that respect but dont know if there is some under lying gremlin here waiting to bite me in the butt . Anybody got a clue for me here ??? Thanks, 10 SPOT
Old October 11, 2008, 09:40 PM   #2
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day, STOP. Don't use aluminium. One of the big problems with trying to weld aluminium is that the 'skin' melts at a higher temp than the core and that the aluminium transfers heat so well. By the time you have heated the outer skin to the point of melting, the core will/can melt and fall away. I could be wrong, it might be OK, but I wouldn't want to be holding a pot of molten lead with the risk of the pot failing.
You might be able to get a cheap pot from a yard sale or recycling/trash depot.

The more I know, the more I know I don't know.
Old October 11, 2008, 09:45 PM   #3
NuJudge

Aluminum has a bad rep at this

The pot you melt the Lead in will be hotter than the Lead. Any material you elevate the temperature of will lose a good bit of its strength. There are lots of stories amongst bullet casters of newbys melting Lead in Aluminum pots of one sort or another, with catastrophic failures of the aluminum pot.

Harbor Freight always has Dutch Ovens very cheap:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44705

Thrift stores such as the Salvation Army usually have Iron or Steel pots of some description.

CDD
Old October 12, 2008, 06:35 AM   #4
10 Spot Terminator

[B]THANKS GUYS !!!
I am ever so greatful for the help here and to you MR. NuJudge thanks for the tip on Harbour Freight . Dont know why I didnt think of a tool outlet for cooking ware That is just what I am looking for . Suppose maybe I should engrave a warning on it not to use for food preperation as when I go to the Happy Hunting Grounds it may end up in a yard sale or somewhere else with a batch of LEAD STEW in it !!! Thanks again ,,, 10 SPOT
Old October 12, 2008, 07:23 AM   #5
RNG

I couldn't find a large enough pot locally so I had to improvise. Used an old propane take and cut it with a saws-all. Not very purdy but it works.

Cheers,
Richard
Old October 12, 2008, 08:50 AM   #6
Bboomer

Safe improvisation I like...

Now to get your work area off the ground. Sturdy saw horses make life easier on the knee's & back allowing for a more enjoyable day.
Old October 12, 2008, 08:52 AM   #7
RNG

Good Idea. I might have to give the saw-horses a try. I have those fancy metal ones from lowes in the corner that I never use.

Thanks,
Richard
Old October 12, 2008, 09:56 AM   #8
Bboomer

Yeah , just make sure the things are rigid. I would look real hard at some of the stuff thats made today.

My horses are home made, I got these off my dad a looong time ago. They are fabricated from 2" iron pipe. I trust them to any task.

BTW, are your tags legal? LOL (I would do the same)

Now, lets go to the range!

cya
Old October 12, 2008, 12:46 PM   #9
CrustyFN

Everybody I talked to that tried aluminum pots had problems with the bottom letting go. I bought a six quart cast iron dutch oven at Harbor Freight for $12 with the lid. I think you can still get them for under $20.
Rusty

Last edited by CrustyFN; October 12, 2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old October 12, 2008, 01:15 PM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

There have been some real horror stories over the years of people using aluminum pots to melt lead and ending up with severe burns on their legs and feet.

Crusty beat me to the punch, I was going to suggest a cheap cast iron dutch oven IF you have enough lead.

If you're melting smaller amounts, Lee makes a small cast iron pot that you can use.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 12, 2008, 01:31 PM   #11
zippy13

Just say NO to aluminum!
Thanks for the tips on the Harbor Freight Dutch Oven.

For what it's worth, none of us want to mess with a significant lead spill. If you're going to be cooking in quantities, it's a good idea to have a containment area for safety. Don't place your pot directly over flat concrete, a spill will splash hot lead everywhere. Consider locating your large pots over a ground depression (pit) or a catchment vessel of appropriate volume.
Old October 12, 2008, 01:47 PM   #12
RNG

Quote:
BTW, are your tags legal? LOL (I would do the same)
Yeah.. just didn't want em plastered all over the internet.

Quote:
Now, lets go to the range!
If it wasn't raining right now that's where I'd be.

Quote:
I bought a six quart cast iron dutch oven at Harbor Freight for $12 with the lid.
Those that have good shopping close by are very fortunate. I have to drive 80 miles to get to a harbor freight. I spent close to $12 in blades cutting the tank. Couldn't hang on to the tank with my feet and cut straight.(Guess you could tell by the pic) Kept cutting into the weld which dulled the blades pretty quick. Wife couldn't stop laughing watching me chase that tank around the back yard.

Richard
Old October 12, 2008, 06:25 PM   #13
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Couldn't hang on to the tank with my feet and cut straight.(Guess you could tell by the pic) Kept cutting into the weld which dulled the blades pretty quick. Wife couldn't stop laughing watching me chase that tank around the back yard."

Dude...

That's what a bag of playground sand is for. Don't you know that trick?

You flop the bag down on the ground where you don't mind some sand and cut the face of the bag off to make yourself a sand table.

Old October 12, 2008, 06:52 PM   #14
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

"Couldn't hang on to the tank with my feet"
Sounds like something an ape would try to do.

"Wife couldn't stop laughing, watching me chase that tank around the back yard."
That sounds so caring of her. She did not even offer to hold the tank. Did you think to ask for help ?

It looks like you have got a good setup after all your effort

Old October 12, 2008, 07:04 PM   #15
Swampghost

Cast and drawn Aluminum melts at about 1/2 the temperature of Lead, Al=about 1200* and lead about 600*, cast Iron at around 2000*.

If you keep a close eye on the pot you should be OK.
Old October 13, 2008, 06:20 AM   #16
RNG

Quote:
Dude...

That's what a bag of playground sand is for. Don't you know that trick?

You flop the bag down on the ground where you don't mind some sand and cut the face of the bag off to make yourself a sand table.
Now THAT is a good idea! I'll have to remember that when I start another similar project.

Quote:
"Wife couldn't stop laughing, watching me chase that tank around the back yard."
That sounds so caring of her. She did not even offer to hold the tank. Did you think to ask for help ?
I don't need no steeenking help!
I don't EVER ask for directions! I ain't lost. I just don't know where the heck I am.

Actually she offered but after 30 years of marriage she knows how I am.

Cheers,
Richard
Old October 13, 2008, 10:41 AM   #17
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've used bags of playground sand as bases for working on odd shaped objects for years.

I find playground sand to be better because its finer consistency packs down more tightly and you don't get as much shifting.

The only problem I ever had was a friend's daughter was VERY upset with me when she saw me using her turtle sandbox as a base for welding some brackets for her father.