The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 2, 2000, 10:54 AM   #1
kv4v

What is the difference between the old white box Winchester pistol primers and the new blue box primers? Thanks. Doc

------------------
Is that a pistol in your pocket or are you just glad to see me? .... Mae West
Old September 2, 2000, 01:34 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I raised this question a few months ago; I had run across a negative comment about them, after I had bought a carton. The consensus of those with experience with the "new" primers was that there's no real difference.

The white-box primers said "For Regular or Magnum" or some such; the blue-box primers are separately for "Regular" or for "Magnum" IIRC. Maybe blue-box "Magnum" primers might be a tad hotter--or it might be some liability issue. I dunno.

I do know that for 50 years I have read the caution that just changing lot numbers in any of your components should mean dropping back 5% and working back up to max.

You can search the TFL archives for more info.

FWIW, Art
Old September 3, 2000, 11:18 PM   #3
alan

I have used Winchester primers for years, both rifle and pistol loading.

Re pistol primers, difference between "old" and "new" seems to be that the "old" primers were nickle plated, the "new" ones aren't.
Old September 5, 2000, 03:34 PM   #4
Calif Hunter

The blue box large pistol primers I bought recently said "For Regular or Magnum loads" and "New Surface Finish for Enhanced Sensitivity." They are not nickle-plated.
Old September 6, 2000, 05:54 PM   #5
Nukem

I've been using Winchester small primers for a few years now after switching from CCI. I've had one misfire in the last 5K. That's one more than I would like but seems about the same as the CCIs. Maybe it wasn't seated all the way? It fired on a restrike.