The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old September 8, 2002, 10:09 AM   #1
G3

How about a Lessons Learned Feature in SWAT?

Greetings,

How about including a feature which critques/reviews armed confrontations? It could be like the Ayoob Files or similar articles in Combat Handguns. I believe the staff at SWAT could do a much better job at this type of feature than the other magazines.

Thanks
G3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2002, 10:34 AM   #2
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

We actually proposed this some time back and asked for feedback. We received very few responses. It is, however, still under consideration.
Denny
Denny Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2002, 09:03 AM   #3
G3

Mr. Hansen,

Thank you for replying. I believe such a feature would be great since your magazine is the only "thinking man's" gun magazine on the market. With all due respect, I would much rather read Clint Smith's analysis of Norco or Newhall than about antique firearms; since there are already many other magazines which cover the subject of historical arms.

Keep up the excellent work!

Thanks again.
G3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2002, 10:55 AM   #4
Rob Pincus

While I would love to hear several of our regular writers express their opinions on actual events, the fact is that it is not always easy to Monday Morning Quarterback... nor is it always fair. "If you weren't there...."

I believe that about as much could be gained by discussing proper handling of hypothetical situations without the baggage or ego considerations of "critiquing" real world incidents.

I've heard the Diallo shooting recounted and commented on dozens of times.. but I've only heard it once from one of the participants, and that's the only one I put much stock in. It could be said that even that version could be flawed, because of legal and ego considerations on the side of the source.

We are all curious about these things and they are often interesting to read about. If you put stock in a writer/instructor's opinion, I think as much could be learned from their thoughts/comments/suggestions about realistic training situations or hypothetical incidents.

There is no doubt that this would be a popular feature. Someone volunteering to tell their own story (particularly if it is truly with a hope to educate and not brag/exagerrate) is one thing, but writing an objective critique of another man's peek at the elephant is something else.
Rob Pincus is offline   Reply With Quote