The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 26, 2014, 02:39 AM   #1
nemesiss45

lee hand primer problem

I was loading up a batch of 7.62 NATO and I was having issues seating primer deep enough on about 1 in 3. I had reamed and chamfered the primer pockets, some went in smooth, some were tight but seated well enough, but a few would just not seat deeper than flush and 2 would not even seat deep enough to slide out of the shell holder. I had force them out (mechanically) ruining the primers.

I know military brass can be a PITA, but I have loaded plenty without getting this much grief. the lever on the hand primer was closing fully on all primers, regardless of the final depth. about 10 cases in I cut some shims to brace the shell holder down, but it did not help, and I was still able to fully depress the handle without the primer seating fully.

is this just an issue of a few extra tight pockets? anyone have similar issues with lee or other hand primers?

I thought it might be tight pockets causing flex in the priming tool.
Old February 26, 2014, 10:33 AM   #2
jag2

Two things I have run into similar to your problem. I started having quite a few FTF and I realized (took a while) the rounded end of the connecting rod between the handle and the ram was so worn that even though I had pushed as far as I could the primer wasn't seated deep enough. I rigged it by gluing a very thin washer to the base of the ram. Worked okay. In the mean time I bought the newer Lee hand primer (didn't like it) and eventually bought the Lee Ergo Prime. That was okay but don't like it for everyday work. There are some combinations of primer and brass (Wolf/Tula large pistol can be tight with any brass) and I use it for those. It is really good about getting extra power without a lot of extra pressure and you don't have to worry about breaking the handle on your old Auto prime. Best solution was going on ebay and buying a new (actually several) old style Auto prime. It is still my favorite but they will break.
Old February 26, 2014, 01:45 PM   #3
nemesiss45

Thanks, ill check that out and see if mine is worn
Old February 26, 2014, 04:19 PM   #4
Airman Basic

Also, the cast body of the tool will split right behind the shellholder. Think it's made of chrome plated zinc or something. Happened to me and took me a while to find the little break. Just a few thousandths is enough to make you think your priming rod is worn down. Look close.
Old February 26, 2014, 04:35 PM   #5
WESHOOT2

After I broke my pair of LEE units I bought RCBS units.
I haven't broken those yet.
Old February 26, 2014, 06:15 PM   #6
chris in va

I tried two different Lee hand primers and threw them in the closet. I much prefer my Hand Press and the included Ram Prime, much better feel and leverage.
Old February 26, 2014, 08:40 PM   #7
chiefr

WESHOOT2 Posted
After I broke my pair of LEE units I bought RCBS units.
I haven't broken those yet.

Years ago Lee made the best hand primer you could buy. The feed tray was round and primers fed directly into the priming ram. These "Old Style" autoprimes were distinguished by a round primer tray.

The new autoprime is a POS. The new one is distinguished by a square primer tray. The cover is held in place by 2 cheap tabs that WILL break.
You then need a strong rubber band to keep it in place or you will spill primers.
Even worse, the new autoprime steps the primers up to feed the ram. Often in the step-up process, the primers will flip and if you are not watching, the primer will install upside down. This is due to the mickey mouse tabs that hold the cover in place not working.
Moreover, you have to hold the new autoprime at a steep angle to get the primers to feed, it makes it difficult to check to make sure the primers do not flip upside down, what a dud. If you buy one SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS.

Yep, RCBS fixed that problem.
Old February 26, 2014, 09:10 PM   #8
nemesiss45

mine is the old style wth the round tray.

I looked and the lever that presses the piston up is a bit worn. I ran a batch of 308 today with no problems... I guess I'll pick up a replacement one of these days, but for now I can deal with it.
Old February 27, 2014, 11:26 AM   #9
WESHOOT2

Mine were 'old'.
As am I.

I have no knock on my old LEE units, but both broke during a marathon priming session (think "8,000 rds").

I think they overheated
Old February 27, 2014, 09:55 PM   #10
jcwit

Heck, I'm using the "old priming tools". The ones with the screw in shell holders and listed by size by letter.
Old March 5, 2014, 11:57 PM   #11
nemesiss45

well, the decision to get a new priming tool was made for me... I decided to bend the handle a hair to give myself more plunger travel... I knew it was a bad idea to begin with... but it's one of those things I just kinda chose to ignore... well, I seated about 10 more primers (perfectly by the way) then snap! the handle broke.

now I'm stuck using my press to prime until I order a new one. oh well. I was not OK with the primer protrusion it was leaving, so I should have tossed it anyway.
Old March 6, 2014, 12:38 AM   #12
jag2

You are absolutely correct, that was a bad idea. I just saw an ad in Handloader for a new Lyman primer, looks kind of like the Lee, Maybe its better made. Haven't seen them for sale so I don't know price but they usually make good products. Worth checking out or like I said earlier just go on ebay, there are usually several of the orignal Lees for sale.
Old March 16, 2014, 03:38 PM   #13
Peter M. Eick

Lee's are good for between 10 and 20,000 rounds I find. They break in various ways but you can send 2 of them back and the price of a new one and get two new ones.

The new ones are not as nice as the older ones so yes, I went with RCBS also.

They have not broken.
Old March 16, 2014, 05:03 PM   #14
Ozzieman

Also, the cast body of the tool will split right behind the shell holder.
Exact same thing happen to me, luckily Lee had replacements that cost under 20.
rounded end of the connecting rod
I have the same problem with mine and have had to live with it since Lee doesn’t have replacement parts. Seems to be a common problem.
Lee hand primer (didn't like it) and eventually bought the Lee Ergo Prime. That was okay but don't like\
Once again seems like we must be twins Jag2.
I would go so far as to say the new Lee primers including the ergo are junk the problem I have is with the lids.
I have tried for the last year trying to find an old but new lee primer with little luck but I am still trying.
This is one of those cases where a company tries to fix something that wasn't brok and FAILED

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old March 16, 2014, 07:46 PM   #15
nemesiss45

I have decided to give the new lyman ezee prime a try... I have not seen many reviews on it, but it looks good to me. im also going to order a replacement handle and try to keep my lee running... for $2, its worth a shot
Old March 16, 2014, 08:43 PM   #16
Airman Basic

Quote:
I have tried for the last year trying to find an old but new lee primer with little luck but I am still trying.
Keep trying. I found two complete kits still in the box last month from a fellow who bought out a hardware stores collection of reloading stuff. And no, you can't have mine.
Old March 17, 2014, 04:40 PM   #17
Ozzieman

no, you can't have mine

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old March 17, 2014, 05:22 PM   #18
Lucas McCain

Those pic's aren't of the old lee priming tool, they are the new ones. I have an old lee priming tool where the shell holder threads on, and there is no priming tray. I've been using that tool for 40 years now, and still going strong. Best damn thing since sliced bread. I'm not an occasional shooter either. Shot a lot of prairie dogs in my day, benchrest, police combat, Bullseye pistol, Sillouette pistol, lots of hunting and just plain plinking. Works great yet today. I love the feel it gives when seating a primer, probably a little slow, compared to one with the tray but I doubt thats it would be anything significant. I have 16 different shell holders for it, so it does get used.
Just my 2 cents.
Old March 17, 2014, 05:35 PM   #19
Ozzieman

no, you can't have mine