The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 24, 2013, 08:01 PM   #1
Mausermolt

Would you support mandatory firearm education?

im getting alot of feedback from people that are middle of the road gun people and anti gun people about how "any uneducated shmuck can go buy a gun" there are lots of people out there going and buying guns because of all this gun-ban hype. and many of them wouldn't be able to tell you what end the bullet come out of. would you support a law that says before you may purchase a firearm you must take a hunters education, or self defense type class that shows how to operate a firearm and be safe in general with one? im a bout as pro gun as one gets, and i would support something like this. thoughts?
Old January 24, 2013, 08:12 PM   #2
Pahoo

Not a "mandatory" program

Quote:
would you support a law that says before you may purchase a firearm you must take a hunters education,
I am a Hunter Ed. instructor and No, I would only support a volunteer program, not mandatory. I know how some folks feel but this would still be infringement. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old January 24, 2013, 08:13 PM   #3
TXAZ

Depends on the content, requirements and politics.

Should everyone understand safety of any potential instrument of disaster / death, sure, that's reasonable. Should everyone who looks at a gun have to attend the Diane Feinstein School of Politically Correct Shooting, hardly.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 24, 2013, 08:23 PM   #4
Webleymkv

It depends on how and what is implemented. I, personally, think that a basic firearms safety course, such as what is taught in a hunter's safety course, would be a good thing to incorporate into the curriculum of public high schools. While I'm sure that many anti's would tear their hair out over their children being taught about guns, that argument doesn't carry much weight with me since we've already incorporated other controversial subjects such as Darwinism and sex education into school curricula.
Old January 24, 2013, 08:28 PM   #5
SPEMack618

I always thought it was odd that I had it browbeat into me that sex waas bad, but if you were going to have it before marriage, here is how you do it safely. And a decent Driver's Ed, but nothing about guns other than
"OMG! they are death rays!" all roled into the same freshman health class.

my only concern with "mandatory" safety training is it can quickly become an end run around the Constitution as a form of back door gun control.
Old January 24, 2013, 08:31 PM   #6
Webleymkv

Quote:
my only concern with "mandatory" safety training is it can quickly become an end run around the Constitution as a form of back door gun control.
If said training is something along the lines of a certificate that you must obtain in order to be eligible to buy/own a gun, then I share your concern. If, however, a safety course is given to all high school students as part of their education, then I think using it as back door gun control would be much more difficult.
Old January 24, 2013, 08:32 PM   #7
jason_iowa

Yep, should be required to graduate from high school.
Old January 24, 2013, 08:36 PM   #8
SPEMack618

I've railed to everyone that would listen that the Rifle Merit Badge, along with Cooking and Wildnerness Survival should all be made required for Eagle Scout.
Old January 24, 2013, 08:43 PM   #9
Pahoo

When it becomes, law

You have to understand how it works. When you make it mandatory, it becomes a law. That give power over to a local or federal Goverment and out of your control. You then have penalties associated with that law and it has to be enforced and abused. Making it voluntary keeps it under your control.

During my years of teaching Hunter Ed. we have seen two instances where a judge, required a person to attend one of our courses. We were not given any details as to who the person was or what crime he had commited. We only knew that they were there. I have not problem with this but it wasn't our call anyway. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old January 24, 2013, 08:43 PM   #10
Mausermolt

HEEEEEYYYYY!!!! the high school requirement thing is a great idea! but thats wishful thinking at best. it will never happen. but maybe with all this media attention on guns i guess anything is possible. my only fear would be that just as some of you have said, it would get rolled into a "guns are bad MmmmKKaaaayyy, dont touch them and certainly dont buy them" type brainwashing.
Pahoo: i dont see how taking a class would turn into a control type situation? an ideal class would be one where there is a test at the end and if you dont pass, you must take it again. you can take the class as many times as necessary until you pass the test. make the class a small fee (just like a concealed carry class does) so it gives you the incentive to pass the first time. plus its a revenue generator for the state! Win win, anti's have on less thing to complain about, and we still get to keep our rights!

Last edited by Mausermolt; January 24, 2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old January 24, 2013, 08:46 PM   #11
Alabama Shooter

Yes, I think it should be a required course in High School or Middle School along with English, Social Studies and Driver's Ed. Other than that, no.
Old January 24, 2013, 08:47 PM   #12
MLeake

Set up a syllabus in the school system, and grandfather those who are already legal adults, and I could back this.

Otherwise, money or free time could become insurmountable obstacles for the poor or for single parents, even if one assumes no state or local government would deliberately create scheduling restrictions.
Old January 24, 2013, 08:54 PM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

What is mandatory education supposed to accomplish?

Let's back up a step. ALL the current furor is due to a sick kid who shot up an elementary school. In order to get there, he MURDERED his own mother and STOLE her firearms.

Background checks would not have helped. It has been documented that all the firearms were purchased legally.

Connecticut has an AWB in effect. The Bushmaster was, by legal definition, NOT an "assault weapon."

Required licenses wouldn't have helped. Criminals don't apply for carry permits.

Mandatory education? The kid WAS educated. His mother had taught him firearms safety and marksmanship, and taught him well. Does it really matter if a mass murderer accidentally sweeps a potential victim before killing him/her?

Don't weaken. We ... do ... not ... need ... more ... gun ... laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mausermolt
Win win, anti's have on less thing to complain about, and we still get to keep our rights!
So you support a mandatory course in civics, fee paid by the person taking the class, before you're allowed to vote or write a letter to a newspaper, correct?

Why should I need a piece of paper to exercise a RIGHT guaranteed to me by the Constitution?

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; January 24, 2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old January 24, 2013, 09:01 PM   #14
MLeake

I was not thinking about "weakening." I was thinking training programs in high schools would add numbers to our side.

Of course, we are in no danger of the administration suggesting that approach...
Old January 24, 2013, 09:05 PM   #15
Revolver1

More laws, that's what we need!
Old January 24, 2013, 09:13 PM   #16
Spats McGee
Staff

Firearm education = good. Mandating firearm education = bad.

I have no interest in inviting government to set more hurdles for law-abiding citizens.
Old January 24, 2013, 09:14 PM   #17
2ndsojourn

"More laws, that's what we need!"

Yes...for the children!
Old January 24, 2013, 09:17 PM   #18
arch308

NO!
Old January 24, 2013, 09:19 PM   #19
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
So you support a mandatory course in civics, >English< {deleted} taking the class, before you're allowed to vote or write a letter to a newspaper, correct?
If only! A pipe dream they will never let happen.

Quote:
I was not thinking about "weakening." I was thinking training programs in high schools would add numbers to our side.
Not only that but all the stupidity about what guns are and are not could be gone in a generation. Feinstein would never be able to convince a well educated populace that "the little shoulder thingee that goes up" is evil.
Old January 24, 2013, 09:27 PM   #20
Spats McGee
Staff

What I would support is offering an elective firearms safety course in our schools, perhaps as a unit in Phys Ed. When i was growing up, they offered "Arkansas Outdoors" at my high school. Among other things, students learned to shoot .22s.
Old January 24, 2013, 09:41 PM   #21
mdcmn7

Isn't that a requirement in Israel?

Sent from my Desire HD
Old January 24, 2013, 09:50 PM   #22
Pezo

I was bored and not involved in high school activities mostly because I was a gun enthusiasts my whole life and enjoyed shooting. Of course school didn't offer such a activity at least not back in the early 90's. if they had gun education and actual live range fire It would have been awesome. But reality bites.
Old January 24, 2013, 09:51 PM   #23
Shane Tuttle
Staff

"...shall not be infringed."

Hmmmm.....I sure as hell don't see anything about "mandatory firearm education" in the 2nd Amendment from this Armchair Quarterback's eye...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old January 24, 2013, 10:10 PM   #24
Daugherty16

No.

it would be great if every firearm owner took his/her responsibility very seriously, and obtained as much training as they could afford/need. But many buy a pistol, maybe shoot it once,then lock it in the nightstand. And some people are plain stupid.

But we all share the same right, that shall not be infringed. Make it mandatory, as others point out, and the govt then controls it. Once they control it, they can make the bar as high as they want, or outright ban it. Nope.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.
Old January 24, 2013, 10:13 PM   #25
Pezo

Good point.