The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 13, 2008, 02:30 AM   #1
philip8614

Whats going on here?

I have been loading for a .223 with full length dies and a 300 rum with neck dies. I would post a pis of the problem but im not sure how or if you even can on this forum but I will try and explane it. The very top of the case looks like its being resized smaller about 1/16 inch down and the rest of it of it has not been touched leaving a ring at the top. Its happening on both calibers. I have lowered the dies down before only to leave the cases jamed into the die. My question is do you think that I need to change the intenal settings of both calibers, or what? The .223 is dillon, the ultra mag is rcbs, and the press is dillon 550b. I have trimmed all brass to proper length and the die books said they were already set to proper settings. This is my first post and I would appriciate the help. Thanks guys. Philip.
Old October 13, 2008, 02:50 AM   #2
Shoney

philip8614

WELCOME TO TFL!

Yes! You can post pictures and one would be very helpful. Scroll down to "Manage Attachments".

It sounds like you do not have the die far enough into the press.

What type of lube are you using?
Please describe what you mean by the
Quote:
I have lowered the dies down before only to leave the cases jamed into the die.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old October 13, 2008, 03:09 AM   #3
philip8614

WOW

Hey you guys are really fast. I use dillon lube. When I lower the die any more then I have it it gets stuck, and I tried to get a pic but the problem is too small to see. I thought it was a lube problem so I soaked the crap out of it and wrenched on the press. Maybe my die is out of whack?
Old October 13, 2008, 03:53 AM   #4
butta9999

do you mean top of the case walls, or top of the case neck. Pic would be good
Old October 13, 2008, 03:58 AM   #5
Shoney

Did you screw the decapping pin up the same or more than the amount you screwed the die down?

The puzzling part is there should be no indentation on the mouth of the case if the sizer ball on the decapping rod is pulled back thru the mouth.

Does the case get deprimed when you push it in???
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old October 13, 2008, 03:59 AM   #6
philip8614

The very tip top of the case neck. I really can't get it into a pic. Been trying for 20 min. Im thinking now maybe I sized it when it was too long, the sides of the neck balloned, and the top of the neck got pushed too far up? past the expander ball. Isnt that what happens when you try to size too long of brass?
Old October 13, 2008, 04:03 AM   #7
philip8614

Thanxs

shoney, yes it is getting deprimed and the deprime rod may have been messed with. Maybe I will adjust this, it sounds like a logical solution.
Old October 13, 2008, 04:06 AM   #8
philip8614

Problem solved!!!!!

Old October 14, 2008, 01:13 AM   #9
Shoney

Just curious!!!!!!

Can I make the presumption that the problem was caused because you "didn't screw up".
Old October 14, 2008, 10:57 AM   #10
Sport45

philip8614,

Please elaborate on the solution. other folks will someday have the same trouble and use the search feature to find this thread. Without the solution being listed they won't think TFL is much help at all. We're all about sharing our mistakes as well as our wisdom so that all can benefit.