The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 8, 2006, 11:55 AM   #1
BPShunter

Winchester Super X3

Winchester just released the new SX3! I'm considering picking up the composite chambered in 3 1/2". I was wondering if anyone had any inside info or knew what changes, other than cosmetics, they've made. The Winchester website claims that it shoots everything from 1 1/8oz. 2 3/4" light loads to 3 1/2" mags. It sounds like a good gun for a reasonable price. Also, anyone know when they should hit the shelves?

Last edited by BPShunter; January 8, 2006 at 02:43 PM.
Old January 8, 2006, 03:05 PM   #2
HSMITH

Quote:
The Winchester website claims that it shoots everything from 1 1/8oz. 2 3/4" light loads to 3 1/2" mags.
My SuperX2 will do that too, and some one ounce loads.

I am curious what the changes are, the SuperX2 is the best autoloading shotgun to come out in..... well, since the SuperX1. It would be hard to improve on but maybe they found something worthwhile.
Old January 8, 2006, 03:10 PM   #3
johnbt

I can't remember everything I've read on the SX3 line... I think they're lighter than the SX2 due to an alloy mag tube and recoil spring tube. They have a different recoil pad that might be lighter. Looks like the main thing is that they're a half-pound or pound lighter model for model. My SX2 Waterfowl weighs about 8 pounds and is a very soft shooter with 1.5-ounce 3" HeviShot loads. I don't need 3.5" loads and haven't tried any.

I just checked the Winchester site and now I'm confused. The description on the Composite says 6.5 pounds...

"At around 6½ lbs., the SX3 Composite is one of the lightest autoloaders on the market. A weight-saving alloy magazine tube and recoil spring system, slim barrel with a machined rib, and an alloy receiver contribute to the low weight."

The table directly underneath the blurb lists all 4 models, 3" and 3.5" in 2 barrel lengths, at 7 pounds 8 ounces.

I really like my SX2 Waterfowl - it's just right for sitting in a boat and not bad at all for sloshing around a bit in the marsh. The SX3 Waterfowl is listed at 7.5 pounds. Dang, look at the list prices on those babies - $1000 more or less.

John
Old January 8, 2006, 03:34 PM   #4
BPShunter

Thanks for the input. I didn't realize the 3 1/2" SX2 shot the lighter loads. I didn't think the price was that bad though. All of the 3 1/2" SX2's retail for over a thousand as well. Still cheaper than the Benelli's and Beretta's and, in my opinion, just as high quality if not better.
Old January 8, 2006, 07:37 PM   #5
johnbt

Don't mind me ranting about the price of guns or Winchester's site.

I've been shopping for a new autoloader for my duck guide and between him wanting a short, light gun and the companies messing with the models & prices I'm going batty.

We hunt out of a boat and he's shooting a 6.2-pound 870 with a 21" barrel and a regular pistol-grip stock. A 12 ga. 23" 11-87 Upland with a straight stock weighs 7.25# and he thinks that would be too heavy. Anyway, that's why I'm waiting on Winchester to show the entire line of new guns - maybe I can talk him into a 6.5 to 7# gun with a 26" barrel.

The SX2 Waterfowl listed for a hair over $1200; was selling for $1000 give or take $50 bucks; then was selling here and there for much less; and then they put a $100 rebate on them up until the end of last month. I bought mine in as-new condition for a little over $700, so I'd say there are deals to be had somewhere on the SX2 guns.

Ain't shopping fun?

John
Old January 8, 2006, 10:03 PM   #6
BUCKMARK

I think the new SX3 is pretty much the same as the Browning Gold Evolve that came out last year.

Let's Roll!