The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 11, 2013, 12:11 PM   #1
David the Gnome

British Armed Forces Adopt Glock 17

Looks like the Brits have replaced the L9 (Browning Hi-Power) with new Gen 4 Glock 17's. That's a huge deal for Glock and hopefully that may help open the door for Glock with other major militaries throughout the world. It's good to see the British weren't afraid of the lack of a manual safety. Maybe our own military will get over their fear too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20979497

On another note, how awesome would it be if those Hi-Powers were exported to the US as surplus. I'd love to get my hands on a couple real military Hi-Powers.
Old January 11, 2013, 01:43 PM   #2
Gats Italian

A good choice for a nation of non-shooters with no practical experience with any handguns.

They are the very lowest common denominators that the Glock 17 was made for.
Old January 11, 2013, 01:44 PM   #3
SoilworK777

^^^
Old January 11, 2013, 03:45 PM   #4
Tactical Jackalope

lol @ post #2...Such a hater.

As for the surplus on BHP's? I wish.
Old January 11, 2013, 03:58 PM   #5
tristar viper

What a ridiculous post.....I can think of many more fitting terms than "hater"....
It truly amazes me how with some, a Glock just isn't allowed to be a good gun, or a desirable gun, or apparently even a gun some military might decide to use. It's just so juvenile and utterly STUPID how those people I'm referring to look for every opportunity to get in a back-handed comment like that, and thus begin the process which many times ruins a thread.
Old January 11, 2013, 04:01 PM   #6
Laz

It only ruins a thread when there are multiple responses to it...as has occurred here.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old January 11, 2013, 04:21 PM   #7
Scouse

Great bit of snobbery that. Plenty of shooters in the UK. What is more, there is not a lot you can fairly say the British are the lowest common denominators at, thanks very much.

The Glock, while ugly is brilliantly utilitarian. Precisely because it may not offer too much to people for whom guns are a hobby, it is an excellent tool for those who want a gun that will just shoot when they need it to, with minimal complications.

Makes a lot of sense given what it was bought for, which is to arm UK forces in Afghanistan against green on blue attacks. British troops, infantry included, have always viewed handguns as officer's toys, rifles being infinitely more important - therefore a simple weapon makes sense, once they learn to shoot it adequately there is no need to learn muscle memory like sweeping the safety off a BHP, or chambering a round if it is carried empty, or wrestling with the flappy holster they are carried in when a Taliban infiltrator decides to kill some NATO invaders.
Old January 11, 2013, 04:28 PM   #8
manta49

It will keep the Glock fans happy but not the .45 as its 9mm. All i am waiting for now is the alarming increase of negligent discharges in the British army.
Old January 11, 2013, 04:31 PM   #9
Scouse

Alas Manta, that is inevitable!
Old January 11, 2013, 04:33 PM   #10
Tactical Jackalope

tristar viper
Quote:
What a ridiculous post.....I can think of many more fitting terms than "hater"....
It truly amazes me how with some, a Glock just isn't allowed to be a good gun, or a desirable gun, or apparently even a gun some military might decide to use. It's just so juvenile and utterly STUPID how those people I'm referring to look for every opportunity to get in a back-handed comment like that, and thus begin the process which many times ruins a thread.
I think you need to relax and ease up a bit. I know how Gats Italian feels about Glocks, and I always see it. Sometimes the motto "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." Doesn't apply, but didn't think his comment would strike a nerve to anyone so hard. Especially behind a keyboard and screen. Grow some thicker skin brother. I know it's aggravating. Check my signature out. I have an assortment of Glocks in there too. If I let everything everyone would say here get to me, I would have never returned to this site.

It's like a new thread with

Thread Title: New Glock 19!

and first post is "What a POS..get rid of it. Italian guns forever!"

It is annoying. There's also a word for that.....Starts with a "T"

Last edited by Tactical Jackalope; January 11, 2013 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Fixed quotations
Old January 11, 2013, 04:37 PM   #11
manta49

Quote:
A good choice for a nation of non-shooters with no practical experience with any handguns
I have experience with glocks and personally woldent have one around me. Just a personal preference i don't like polymer framed handguns. But it might be a good choice for the military time will tell.
Old January 11, 2013, 04:39 PM   #12
Gats Italian

My post was a pitch perfect riposte of the OP's nonsense.

Quote:
That's a huge deal for Glock and hopefully that may help open the door for Glock with other major militaries throughout the world. It's good to see the British weren't afraid of the lack of a manual safety. Maybe our own military will get over their fear too.
Takeaways:

1) The Glock is currently used mostly by irrelevant militaries.
2) America's armed forces are afraid of pistols lacking a manual safety.

The first is true, the second is false.

The SIG P226 almost won the M9 trials and doesn't have a manual safety. It was adopted by the Navy SEALs, and the related P228 is in service as the M11.
Old January 11, 2013, 04:44 PM   #13
Scouse

I suspect the Glock being cheaper had a lot to do with its adoption ahead of the Sig.

EDIT - Like Manta, I am British and have experience with Glocks - would choose a Sig, or indeed a Hi-power any time. Military procurement is, alas, a largely political decision though, when it comes down to it.
Old January 11, 2013, 04:44 PM   #14
zincwarrior

Good for them I guess, if the Brownings have worn out. Glocks are inexpensive, decent, rugged, and light. Lights probably the factor the troops really care about.
Old January 11, 2013, 04:44 PM   #15
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
The SIG P226 almost won the M9 trials and doesn't have a manual safety. It was adopted by the Navy SEALs, and the related P228 is in service as the M11.
Blah...Manual safeties..

My training has ruined my muscle memory with safeties.

Can I adapt to safeties under stress? Sure.

Is it costly? Yes...

Will I probably do so later? Sure..when I have the money.

I love my SIG P226
Old January 11, 2013, 05:08 PM   #16
tristar viper

Man....this thread was contentious from the word GO. I think I will just sit back and watch from here on out
Old January 11, 2013, 05:08 PM   #17
Gats Italian

Wut?

Your only SIG with a manual safety had better be the 1911.
Old January 11, 2013, 05:12 PM   #18
thedudeabides

Never sure how often military sidearms are used--if ever.

I don't think that the G17 is better than the M9 or P226. But it's not terrible.

Not that the Brits are actually fighting any wars. Or have anything resembling a military.
Old January 11, 2013, 05:20 PM   #19
Scouse

thedudeabides - Sure lad, whatever you say. Suitably informed comment there.
Old January 11, 2013, 05:27 PM   #20
thedudeabides

I've never met anyone who has served overseas and had to use their M9.

Maybe the British drop their rifles more than our boys do.
Old January 11, 2013, 05:29 PM   #21
manta49

Quote:
Not that the Brits are actually fighting any wars. Or have anything resembling a military.
Your military were glad to have the British fighting and dying alongside them in Iraqi and afghanistan.
Old January 11, 2013, 05:36 PM   #22
Scouse

Thats not the issue mate. In that, you are correct, infantrymen use rifles, sidearms are for emergencies and truck drivers, this is obvious. Why you felt it necessary to throw in that last line, only you know, but it does you no credit.

Last edited by Scouse; January 12, 2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old January 11, 2013, 05:38 PM   #23
manta49

Quote:
Never sure how often military sidearms are used--if ever.
Probaly more than anyone on this forum. But that doesn't stop some not being able to take a shower or going to church without one.
Old January 11, 2013, 09:31 PM   #24
Luger_carbine

Sidearms are used by MPs quite a lot.
Old January 11, 2013, 11:06 PM   #25
EdInk

Even though I greatly prefer the XD, the Glock platform is a great weapon. It does amaze me (as a former Glock owner) the horrible grip though is just accepted by people.