The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 9, 2013, 05:52 PM   #26
BigD_in_FL

Disagree totally, private property is PRIVATE, meaning they can refuse or allow whatever they want (within any constraints of the law).

Don't like their rules? Simple, go to the VFW or AmVets instead. Vote with your feet and wallet. I refused to join a social club (Moose) because they allowed smoking in the place and, being an ex-smoker, I can't STAND the smell, so I left and never went back. Their house, their rules - what is so hard to understand?
Old August 9, 2013, 06:42 PM   #27
tyme
Staff

Quote:
...private property is PRIVATE...
Exactly the binary argument I was lamenting.

Quote:
Vote with your feet and wallet.
That "solution" doesn't work in every market. It would be great if it did.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old August 9, 2013, 06:42 PM   #28
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD in FL
Disagree totally, private property is PRIVATE, meaning they can refuse or allow whatever they want (within any constraints of the law).
See, it's that last part you wrote... The exceptions to private property, such as any property that invites and/or allows the general public. You are then under a whole slew of governmental regulations.

And no, such a property does not have to be a business, only that the general public may, at times, be invited. Should I mention the various zoning regulations? Fire regulations? Occupancy requirements? And on and on....

PRIVATE property is only as private as regulations allow.
Old August 9, 2013, 07:22 PM   #29
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyme
I hate that argument. It implies that private vs public property is binary, that if some land or property isn't literally owned by the public then the owners should have the same power over visitors whether it's a private domicile, or an open undeveloped field (on private land), or a typical open-to-the-public store, or something in-between like the American Legion or Sam's Club.

I don't think that's the right way to look at the question of private property rights. I think even membership-only clubs shouldn't have unilateral power to prohibit responsible concealed firearm carry, any more than they should be able to dictate what color underwear should be.

Actually, I think they should be able to dictate what color underwear your wear. Why not?

I should be able to hang a sign that says "We do not serve purple haired people, those with mustaches, anyone who wears tighy-whiteys or anyone who wears a belt." (Checking to see if you ARE wearing tighy-whiteys is another thing.)

If people don't like it, they can open their own bar. If they can't afford to open their own bar, they don't need to go to a bar. It's not a basic human right to go to a bar (or any other business). Self defense is a basic right. I can't prohibit self defense. I can prohibit swords, knives, mace.... etc. etc.... guns... It's private property. If I don't want it here, you can't bring it.

Whether or not it's wise to do it is another question.

Purple haired people also have the right to be mad at me and go somewhere else or picket and boycott or open a pizza shop with a sign that says "No one who goes to Peetza's Pizza Place is allowed here."

Let the market sort it out.
Old August 9, 2013, 08:33 PM   #30
BigD_in_FL

We have age discrimination here in FL all over the state. 55+ communities do not allow anyone under that age to own property there - private community. Sorry, it is still their house their rules. Just like a restaurant that says no shoes, no shirt, no service, C-stores that say no hoodies or no more than 3 students at a time, night clubs that do not allow single men in, and on and on. It happens all over the place, it is their right, especially as a private organization to allow or disallow whatever and whomever they want. Not a Catholic? Good luck joining something like the KoC.

It is simple, either ask them to change or go somewhere else where your views and actions are wanted/appreciated.

I wouldn't want to force my way into an organization via threat of lawsuit or whatever - what type of friends do you think you will make?
Old August 10, 2013, 09:40 AM   #31
DMZX

Another self-inflicted wound

The American Legion is on the endangered species list as it struggles to remain relevant. Declining membership, apathy, financial problems and the failure to attract the Iraq/Afghan vets to it's ranks are among the more significant issues the organization faces.

I am not sure that banning guns from Legion Halls well prove to be a viable solution to any of the problems.