The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 13, 2013, 05:45 AM   #1
Aaron1100us

Stupid question on barrel Crown

Ok, the crown is the end of the barrel that is rounded. I've heard people say they have to get their gun recrowned or they shorten the barrel and have to recrown.

Does the crown do anything? All of my rifles have a crown except my Stevens Favorite model 17 .22. The end of the barrel is cut straight. Can a crown be damaged? How and what does it affect?
Old June 13, 2013, 06:34 AM   #2
MTSCMike

A flat crown doesn't protect the rifling in case of an impact to the muzzle. If an impact dings or dents the muzzle and deforms the bore exit then accuracy will suffer. There are a wide variety of crowns that can be cut. They can be rounded, recessed (counterbore), cone shaped, etc. They must be cut concentric and flush to the bore for the best accuracy result but their main function is to protect the muzzle from damage.
Old June 13, 2013, 07:03 AM   #3
Aaron1100us

Re: Stupid question on barrel Crown

Thanks. That makes sense.
Old June 13, 2013, 02:21 PM   #4
4EVERM-14

Additionally the crown serves another important function. As the bullet exits the muzzle propellant gases escape. The crown serves as a guide for the gases to follow. Uneven pressure around the base of the bullet caused by a nick, flaw or irregularity in the crown can push the bullet base slightly off line as it exits the muzzle effecting accuracy. A clean and even crown is an important part of very accurate rifles regardless of caliber.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old June 14, 2013, 12:07 AM   #5
spanishjames

The crown is at the end of the rifling inside the barrel. The end of the barrel can be any shape, flat or rounded, so long as the rifling itself is protected.
Old June 15, 2013, 01:15 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Technically, the crown is the whole end of the barrel, rounded or not, but it is the bullet exit point that is important; the rest is just decoration. An even bullet exit is needed for accuracy. From the other point of view, that is why the base of the bullet is very important to accuracy; a bullet point can be damaged with little effect on accuracy, but a chipped or uneven base can really throw the bullet off.

Jim
Old June 16, 2013, 02:34 AM   #7
Fire_Moose

I read an article on one of these forums where they progressively damaged the crown and recorded results.

By the end they are carving chunks out of the last 2" of bore. Interesting results.

Ill post a link if no one else does before I find it.
Old June 16, 2013, 02:43 PM   #8
publius

As others have mentioned, if you damage the crown, (dropping it muzzle first on the rocks or concrete, or improper cleaning.) A crown can be pretty much any concentric shape, recessed, round, you could even take a hacksaw and cut the barrel off flat, all designs must be precise, ( perfectly even ) so the bullet and expanding gasses leave the barrel evenly. Anything to upset this eveness will result in poor accuracy.
Old June 16, 2013, 03:03 PM   #9
Bart B.

Some call the crown just the edge of the bore where rifling ends and the rest of the muzzle from the crown to the outer diameter the face. Many match rifle barrels have an 11 degree face and a 45 degree crown that goes a few thousandths out from groove diameter.
Old June 16, 2013, 06:27 PM   #10
Fire_Moose

Not.the one I was thinking of.....

http://www.accuratereloading.com/crownr.html