The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 8, 2010, 11:18 PM   #1
bigamehunter93

Need help finding scope

I need a scope for long range big game hunting....need it to be good for 1000 yards.. I was thinking about a Nightforce..I would like it to have holdover reticles.... any other suggestions?..
Old April 15, 2010, 05:23 AM   #2
jgcoastie

It is not my place to judge you for your choices of how you hunt no more than it is your place to judge mine. There are individuals with the competence, training, patience, and experitse to ethically harvest game at long distances and I will assume you are such an individual.

For optics, I've been seriously considering the Vortex Viper PST FFP 4-16x50mm for a varmint gun out to 400yds. They also make a 6-24x50mm that you might be interested in.

Try www.opticsplanet.com, they have them for $850 & $900, respectively.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old April 17, 2010, 09:38 AM   #3
mrgoodwrench76

I recently began using a Nikon 6-24x50 Monarch on a Savage .308 that I plan to hunt with in the fall. Right now, on paper at 600 it works great and would be capable of going farther if I was. The optics are incredibly clear and the side paralax let me use low rings so all in all, its a great scope. 300 plus rounds so far and I havn't had to adj. at all since sight in.
Old April 17, 2010, 09:49 AM   #4
fisherman66

Do much shooting at the verified distance of 1000 yards? Let's make sure we have the need part right before we talk about what will satisfy those needs. While it's not hard to shoot MPBR at a range target it gets exceedingly (logarithmically) difficult every 100 yards past that. Throw in the stress of field positions and it takes a very well trained shooter at the distances we are talking about. The vast majority of game are taken near or less than 100 yards. Out on the western flatlands or across ravines the situation is a little different, but 400 yards is a super long shot anywhere.
Old April 17, 2010, 10:41 AM   #5
Brandy

+10!!!!!

Shooting AT big game at 1000 yards proves one thing. You don't know how to hunt. In 67 years I have yet to meet a Deer, Elk or Antelope that cannot be stalked to within (at the EXTREME) 300 yards. Of course you have to get out of the truck or ATV............

For a HUNTER a fixed 4X scope will take any big game. If you think you must have a variable (several more things that can break or you can screw up (like having it set at 9X when that buck jumps out of the deadfall st 40 yards), a 2-7 or 3-9 will cover any all needs.

One wonders how JOC killed all that big game with a 2.5X Lyman Alaskan with a 5" Lee dot...........