The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 9, 2010, 08:59 PM   #1
SemperFi(re)

My First Firearm, Rifle Or Handgun?

Hello FL, I am currently in the process of purchasing my first firearm and well I am looking for some advice or guidance on what I should look for in either rifles or handguns, personally I am leaning toward a rifle, bolt action maybe, but that is as far as I got. Thanks in advance for the help.

What were some of you guys first firearm?
Old February 9, 2010, 09:12 PM   #2
boesman82

A pistol but it is mainly for self defense. Depend what you are going to use it for recreation, hunting or carry.

If you are hunting I could see why that would be your first choice.
Old February 9, 2010, 09:14 PM   #3
noyes

Start with the ammunition. What do you want said firearm to do? Long distance 1000 yards. Brut force. Hunting small or large game. Penetration, recoil, etc.

Than research the firearm to do the task you want.
Old February 9, 2010, 09:16 PM   #4
Crosshair

The fail safe recommendation is a 22 rimfire. Be it a handgun or rifle. Inexpensive, but practical and the low ammo cost lets you get out for lots of practice.

The others are right, let us know more about what you are looking to do. Are you looking to see what you like or are you looking for a specific purpose.
Old February 9, 2010, 09:17 PM   #5
comn-cents

It depends on what you want to do with it. But not really a .22 rim-fire rifle is always a good gun to have around. Cheap to shoot, easy to hit targets with, that helps to build confidence in your shooting. Lots of practice for cheap like I mentioned before.
Old February 9, 2010, 09:23 PM   #6
Scrapperz

My first Firearms were Rem 700 ADL chambered in 30-06, Ithica Model 37 chambered in 2 3/4" 12 gauge. All made in the 70's.

Wasn't until now I bought S&W 460XVR 8 3/8", a Bond Arms Snake Slayer (interchangeable barrels .410/45 Colt, 9mm Luger, 22lr), and a Stoeger Cougar 8040.
Old February 9, 2010, 09:29 PM   #7
oneounceload

Don't rule out a nice shotgun either!
Old February 9, 2010, 09:40 PM   #8
fisherman66

A shotgun would be the most versatile, while a handgun would be the natural selection if you plan to conceal carry. What's your comfort level with small arms. Your username leads me to think you might have some experience.
Old February 9, 2010, 10:05 PM   #9
SemperFi(re)

Well am a 21yo newly promoted Sgt in the USMC, I did a tour in Iraq and on my way to Afghanistan. I have grown comfortable with a handgun for carry and well as for what I want my firearms to say about me I guess long range, mobility and accuracy. Something that can put a 338 or a 762 down range. In regards to shotguns I have had my eye on them something I can have for CQ. As for my screen name I sent my time staring down the sights of an standard M9 for a sidearm and an M4 W/ an acog. I want to open myself up to new calibers and platforms. That's why I posted this thread.

Last edited by SemperFi(re); February 9, 2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old February 9, 2010, 10:11 PM   #10
young mosin

I say just get you a nice 10mm pistol
Old February 9, 2010, 10:23 PM   #11
Regolith

Quote:
Well am a 21yo newly promoted Sgt in the USMC, I did a tour in Iraq and on my way to Afghanistan. I have grown comfortable with a handgun for carry and well as for what I want my firearms to say about me I guess long range, mobility and accuracy. Something that can put a 338 or a 762 down range. In regards to shotguns I have had my eye on them something I can have for CQ.
Well, there are a lot of options for that. For bolt actions, the Remington 700 and the Savage 11 are hard to beat. Both come in a variety of styles and chamberings. How much they cost depends on what you want it to do. 600-1000 yards is going to cost a lot of money (probably $1000 plus, before optics, which may cost another $800 - $1000), where as something more suitable for 100-600 yards isn't going to cost a whole lot (maybe $400-500 before optics, which can cost from $100- $400, depending on what you get).

For semi-autos, the Springfield M1A (semi-auto version of the M-14) is very nice, but pricey ($1400+), as is the AR-10. The FN-FAL is a little bit less expensive, but also less accurate. All fire 7.62x51mm. I don't know of any cheap semi-autos that fire 7.62x51mm, unfortunately.

For shotguns, the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 590A1 are both good, inexpensive (<$400), and can be had in CQ configurations.

For handguns..well, I'm not very knowledgeable in that area. If you want something other than what you're already carrying, an M1911 isn't a bad idea at all. It was the US service pistol for something like 75 years before they switched to the M9, and it still works just as well. Hell, I've heard that some parts of the military is bringing it back. Or you could get a .357 revolver; lot's of choices for that.
Old February 9, 2010, 10:25 PM   #12
fisherman66

'ppreciate your service.

It sounds like you are more committed to the rifle. I would suggest the .308 as the standard for medium/long range work. Whether or not it's the best "all around" choice that depends on the role you are asking it to fill.
Old February 10, 2010, 09:20 PM   #13
SemperFi(re)

I actually have been looking at some of Remington's models, I will look closer at the 700 and see if I find anything I like. Thanks for the Help.
Old February 11, 2010, 08:41 AM   #14
aarondhgraham

189? Winchester pump, .22 short only,,,

Without a magazine rod,,,
So it was virtually a single shot.

I paid $5.00 for it at an auction in the early 60's.
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old February 11, 2010, 08:44 AM   #15
Skans

My first firearm: Brazillian copy of a S&W .38 Special "Chief"

2nd: S&W Model 10 revolver

3rd: Remington 700 22-250

4th: Ruger 10-22

5th: Taurus PT-99

6th: Smith and Wesson 659

After that it gets a little crazy to keep up with.

Out of those guns, the Taurus broke, I got it fixed and traded it + cash for the Smith 659. I sold the Brazillian .38 special - wish I hadn't. Sold the Model 10 - wish I hadent. Sold the 10-22 - didn't shoot it much and don't miss it at all. Sold the 22-250 - I shot the heck out of it and I don't miss it. Still have the 659 after all of these years.
Old February 11, 2010, 10:40 AM   #16
svaz

Ahhh, to be a young NCO again ...

The Rem 700 (.308) was my first rifle and I've put not enough rounds down range with it. I got the ADL version from WalMart, lo those many years ago, and have always somewhat regretted getting "the cheap" model with the pencil-dick tube.

Do yourself a favor and SAVE and get the rifle you WANT, not the one you can settle for. Check out the 700 SPS Tactical (short bbl), the 700 SPS Varmint (long bbl), or the 700P.

Get real glass, too; should cost about what the rifle does, or at least 3/4 there of.

If you are a military history buff, checkout milsurp - lots of history, lots of interesting facts, down-right cheap, mostly cheap ammo, and most tend to appreciate in 10+ years. You'll have to appreciate them for what they are and not expect minute-of-commo-wire accuracy, ala Enemy at the Gates, but you may run into "that one" some day.

Thanks for your service.
Old February 11, 2010, 11:45 AM   #17
CRUE CAB

I would start out with a rifle. And if you dont have alot of shooting experience, I would go for a .22.
Cheap ammo to get you learning the basics, wont cost an arm and a leg and if you move on to bigger and better. You will have something to pass on to your hiers.
Rifle is a good starter to learn muzzle control, trigger control, all the little site adjust stuff.
And if you go with a popular gun like a 10/22 you can get in cheap and there is a world of parts to up grade it to make it what you want.
If you must get a handgun I would start out with like a Ruger MKIII.

Last edited by CRUE CAB; February 11, 2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old February 11, 2010, 01:46 PM   #18
Buzzcook

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...01C&mid=535115

Get this in .308
Old February 11, 2010, 02:03 PM   #19
Patriot78

6.5x55?

Hey semper, why not check out the ballistics charts on one of those fine Swedish Mausers? Some experienced folk I've heard say it is comparable to many a .308. Nice straight shotting. I am very pleased with mine. I'm in the process of getting mine scoped. Even with the iron sites I am thrilled to shot it every time. Couldn't tell you how accurate mine is, but I've heard plety good from others about these. Take a look around, you might find one that interests you?
Old February 12, 2010, 11:41 PM   #20
Sevens

You obviously have experience with both rifles and handguns, and you seem to be leaning toward a rifle for your first purchase.

I'll tell you why my safe is loaded with a slew of fun handguns and hardly any rifles:

They take a lot less space. Less space in the safe, less space to haul on range day. More enjoyable to clean and less space when doing that, also. My cleaning rod is a foot long, not three feet long.

And cheaper to shoot. More affordable at the load bench... in powder and also in slugs, where the bulk of the money goes. And handgun brass is plentiful and lasts a long time. And I don't need to spend more dough on scopes and mounts and such... though when you bring up Contenders, then yeah, you'll need glass.

And you know what else? You can have a rip roaring time with handguns at 7 yards, or 12, or 25. 25 yard shooting with handguns is fun and challenging. Rifles at under 50 yards are really too easy. So to get the full range of fun with a handgun, you can do all your shooting in a lot smaller space. That appeals to me.

Rifles are an entirely different kind of fun. Being able to hit small targets at 100 yards or more is great and I would likely do a lot more of it if I had my own range in my back yard... but I don't.

So for me, it's handguns. Sure, I've got a couple rifles. Have a pistol caliber carbine, too, which hits more like a handgun but is kind of like cheating as it's got a stock and a long sighting plane.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a rifle and point you to handguns... but if I were, I'd say all that!
Old February 12, 2010, 11:50 PM   #21
CK_32

If your looking for protection i say pistol.

Any other reason rifle.. Remember you can always bash them
over the head with a rifle
Old February 13, 2010, 12:18 AM   #22
22-rimfire

My first gun was a 22 rifle. But I was in the 9th grade. My first handgun was a 22LR double action revolver. I suggest that you start with the 22LR, learn to shoot, then start moving up in caliber size as need develops. Buy quality guns and pay the higher price. You'll thank me in future years assuming you are still shooting.

For home defense (not carry), I suggest the 3" or 4" Ruger GP100 in 357 mag (double action revolver), but shoot 38spls out of it and keep it loaded with 38spl +P's for home defense. But I would still get a 22 first.

Edit: Just noticed your later posting. I think you know what you are doing. I believe you are past the 22 stage, but you really need to have at least one 22 rifle.

Last edited by 22-rimfire; February 13, 2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old February 13, 2010, 08:24 AM   #23
MTT TL

I know you said new platforms but I would consider an AR-10 model in .308 or .338. This is simply because you are already comfortable with the design and it is a good design. I would stick with the .308 as it is much cheaper and while it lacks the range of the .338 it will still get you at least double the .223.
Old February 15, 2010, 09:00 AM   #24
hayes1966

Go buy a Ruger MkII in 22lr. Learn to shoot it properly and go from there. It is inexpensive and can be used for plinking or target shooting.
Old February 16, 2010, 08:16 AM   #25
southernmaninla

How much $ you willing to spend?

Tags
handgun , purchasing , rifle