The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 5, 2015, 07:26 PM   #1
farmboy

My new Ruger .308: I'm impressed!

I just picked this up from my dealer today:

http://grabagun.com/ruger-6830-m77gs...sct-mtblk.html

I'm VERY pleased! I assumed a 6 1/4 pound .308 rifle should beat me up pretty good, but with the muzzle brake that Ruger is providing with these rifles is pretty darned effective. It really wasn't bad at all.

And even without a scope, the iron sights provided a pretty good sight picture, and shooting offhand inside 150 yards wasn't much of a stretch. Even the trigger surprised me. I spent a considerable amount of time with a CZ 527 I owned at one time, and while this isn't on par with that sweet set trigger on the 527, it's really pretty manageable as well. The whole rig shot well enough out of the box, I'm not entirely sure I should even scope it.

If I do, I've decided to go with a conventional lower powered variable.

I've made some good gun decisions in the past. This is a great one. Check one out sometime, if you haven't had the chance.

Last edited by farmboy; June 5, 2015 at 09:51 PM.
Old June 6, 2015, 10:49 AM   #2
cw308

farmboy, Check out Hide two down from this one. The art of the rifle General.There is a post by Rob62 What do you think about this long range build 308. Very nice rifle set up, Good luck with it. Chris
Old June 6, 2015, 01:13 PM   #3
jmr40

I've considered one, especially now that they are offering the lighter synthetic stock. The laminated versions were just too darn heavy for the rifles intended purpose. Somewhere between 5.5-6.5 lbs without optics is just about right for a 308. I'd lose the break, the noise is worse than the recoil.

If I were to buy one I'd zero the iron sights, take it off and put a 1-4X20 scope on it conventionally in QD mounts. If something happened to the scope (highly unlikely) the scope could come off and the irons back on in seconds. I've found forward mounted scout scopes to be pretty ineffective.