The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 15, 2013, 06:00 AM   #1
thedudeabides

Does the KSG work, now?

These started to show up again in local gun shops at around a grand, not the horribly inflated 2.5k prices from just a few months ago.

I've read horror stories about terrible QC of this shotgun, but also that Kel-Tec has been updating the current production models.

So... do the current production run KSGs work, and is there a way of telling the bad initial production run from the new ones?
Old September 15, 2013, 10:51 AM   #2
Rikakiah

I'd heard the same and really hope it's true. It's definitely my top choice for a home defense shotgun (due to it's size/maneuverability). No first hand knowledge, though because while I could get one for around 900, it still seems to be about an 18 month wait here. Not enough patience for something that might work. :-(
Old September 18, 2013, 03:48 AM   #3
thedudeabides

All right, I shot one. My LGS has a huge collection of curiosities and I finally managed to convince the owner to let me shoot his KSG to dispel some of the myths.

The gun is perfectly balanced, will hold FOURTEEN +1 shells of whatever you want, and you can load either tube with what you want and switch between them as you please. This seems like a great idea in theory, but in emergency situations I'm guessing you'll just be racking the forend and hoping the front part of the gun goes bang.

Is it reliable? Maybe. It ejects down, if you keep its poo chute unobstructed with your forearm it won't jam. It requires a smooth and forceful action to get the forend going to chamber another shell. Just like you can jam an 870 by not being smooth and forceful with the forend, this how you can mess up the KSG. Rack it like you mean it in a quick and aggressive motion, and it will be fine. When it jams, tho, oh man it gets jammed.

Switching ammo on the fly? Just hit the selector switch between the magazine tubes. There is sharp stuff in there, and you may pull back a bloody hand.

My friend claims he has fed his KSG over 1000 shells and has not had it fail, I tried a variety of ammo in it but wasn't able to match his count due to financial considerations. It's seems well made and if I can find one for 900 bucks I still may get one just for the curiosity of it.

My only critique is that I have been shooting the 870 in some form since I've been 12. I could strip that gun down to the bare receiver without ever reading the instructions as a kid, and it's so modular that you can modify/replace everything to make your own personal gun for whatever situation you need. I typically convert my 870 between skeet shooting and home defense, it takes less than 10 minutes to do so. The receiver has over 20k rounds through it and I have several barrels, forends, and stocks. It has never malfunctioned except due to user error.

The KSG is a new animal and hopefully will lead to a modern redesign of the shotgun, the 870 is just so perfect.

Last edited by thedudeabides; September 18, 2013 at 03:57 AM.
Old September 18, 2013, 05:10 AM   #4
Willie Lowman

Quote:
friends don't let friends shoot plastic guns
Quote:
managed to convince the owner to let me shoot his KSG to dispel some of the myths.
Not taking your own advice I see.
Old September 18, 2013, 05:28 AM   #5
jolly roger

I can think of a heck of a lot of better ways to spend 1K...his and her 870s in 12 and 20 gauge with lots of ammo come to mind
Old September 18, 2013, 08:50 PM   #6
from the Hip

I got one and I like it. It patterns a lot bigger than my 870 or my 11-87. just about 1" per yard. Several weekends ago I put a Red dot sight on it and went out to get some crows. It shot very well and felt natural to point. Inside of 50 yards or so the crows would be dead before they hit the ground. I would not try any long shots with the KSG. It works for me and I am pleased with it.
Old December 14, 2013, 01:46 AM   #7
BB62

thedudeabides, I believe it does.

After doing a great deal of reading, I've found two things of great importance, and relevant to your questions:

1) As you said, rack it like you mean it, and
2) To determine how "new" the gun is, convert the serial number to "gun # xyz" by using the formula supplied on this page: http://www.thektog.org/forum/f92/hig...1/index20.html

Mine, which I just bought a few days ago is approximately gun #23,600. I believe it to be very recent production because various elements are present: no sharpness in loading area, beefed-up slide handle.

WARNING: I have seen guns for sale on (don't know if I can mention the site name, but GB ought to give you a clue) which are supposedly "new in box" with very, very low serial numbers.

I hope this helps.
Old December 14, 2013, 09:40 AM   #8
BigD_in_FL

There is also the UTAS version to consider as well