2 high, 3 low at 12 metres.

P-16 - 5gr Win 231 x 175gr SWC - Time 4.1 secs

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"

[This message has been edited by HS (edited February 20, 1999).]
Old February 20, 1999, 03:07 PM   #2
Cat

HS,
Here in north-central Ohio we have a gun store that has a firing range that puts on pin matches as well as action pistol matches. I don't shoot pins much anymore except with a shotgun or .22 carbine. We use the old 5 pins straight across the table set for most classes and a 10 pin set for .22 carbine and a 15 pin set for teams. We shoot from 25 feet for handguns, 35 feet for shotguns, and 25 yards for .22 carbines.
My best 5 pin set with a shotgun was 3.03 seconds. I use a Remington 1100, 12 gauge with tactical 00 buckshot. The gun has a 9 round extended magazine.
I used to use a Glock 24P in the large pistol class. I was never much faster than 5.5 seconds for 5 pins. Your 4.1 on a split table sounds pretty darn good!
Keep Shootin',
Cat
Old February 23, 1999, 01:45 PM   #3
bear

Shot the same set-up 3 low 2 hi at a match last fall in Wisc, best time was 3.3 secs.
heard of the big boys doing it in under 2 secs but have never seen it, 4.1 ain't all that bad, just keep at it, I'm trying for that under 3 sec run, some day....
I use a 1911 Gold cup with a Pro Point 5,
230 lrn with 3.8 grains of Clays or 200gr lswc with 4.3grs of Clays, like the round nose 230's the best but people keep telling me I should be using the SWC's ?????? gonna try this year with a SVI .38 super that has a Optimum 2000 and a compensator, trying to work out a load now.
Good luck.
Old March 9, 1999, 07:35 AM   #4
HS

Bear,
Yaa, new record for me !

3.88 secs!

Gotta try harder I s'pose
Old March 10, 1999, 12:10 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

Hey, HS, can I get your autograph. (man, are you ever gonna finish braggin about those bowlin pins?) Why don't you bring your sunburned trigger finger over to our (the correct) side of the world and shoot in some REAL matches? Or, you could come to my house -- we just shoot in the back yard (but not at each other--I got swinging pins set up). Well?
Old March 10, 1999, 07:22 AM   #6
HS

Tim, nah you come Downuder !

Our pins fall quicker 'cause we're UPSIDE DOWN ! LMAO !!!!

BTW.... We score 'em from the whistle blowing to when the LAST pin HITS the GROUND - Is this how you fellas do it or when the pin leaves the table/falls ?

------------------

Old March 10, 1999, 11:44 PM   #7
Cat

HS,
We also score from the "Beep" to the last pin hits the ground. We run two stop watches and use the quickest one for score.
The question has come up, especially during the shotgun class, which piece do you count for time?
Cat
Old March 11, 1999, 08:47 PM   #8
WESHOOT2

Someday. And I promise to look you up "cause we're goin' shootin' !!!"
Old March 13, 1999, 03:18 AM   #9
HS

Cat, the quickest one of course !

btw, we only use 1 stopwatch & hope the user has good eyes !!

------------------

Old March 15, 1999, 07:35 PM   #10
bear

HS, keep it up, for whats it worth I don't use the squeeze the trigger method when I shoot, just put the dot on the pin and pull the trigger, works well if you don't move the gun when the trigger is pulled, I dry fire at least 10-15 mins each day I'm not shooting, doesn't sound like much but it helps, also if you start shooting with the gun down (sometimes on a board) you have it so the sights line up when you look down and just bring the gun up in a arc with the sights still in line this might help a little for that first shot, good luck sounds like your having fun.. Al
Old March 15, 1999, 11:29 PM   #11
Cat

HS,
I still like "Men at Work" and the most awesome kick a**, cold blooded rockers, AC/DC.
Cat
Old March 16, 1999, 05:46 AM   #12
HS

Al, it sure is a lot harder usin' Iron sights than a Red Dot !

Oh well.... practice...dry fire...practice then repeat 50 times !

------------------

Old March 26, 1999, 12:16 PM   #13
bear

HS, if you learn how to bring the gun up and have it so you can be looking down the sights
and be very close to what you want to shoot, the open sights shouldn't be any slower than the dot. watch some of the pro's shoot and you'll see some very fast open sighted shooters. I use the dot because I wear bi-focals and have a hard time seeing the sight and the target together, with the dot you still have to use proper shooting procedures, does no good to have the dot if you can't get the target and the dot together. I think one of the most important things to work on is to be able to pull the trigger with out the gun moving, once you can do that you can just bring the gun across the pins and shoot everytime the sight gets to the sweet spot on the pin. practice, practice, practice. try falling plate match's if you have them in your area, same principle. once you get that down pretty well
then try a dot, they are nice....grin