The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 23, 2009, 10:14 PM   #1
amadmann

Marlin 336 problem

I have a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem. While sighting-in a new scope using Hornady Lever Revolution 200 gr., I had several misfires. The primers showed indentations from the firing pin but didn't fire. It occurred to me that each time a misfire had occurred, I had cocked the hammer manually from the "safe" position. After reloading the same cartridges and cycling them with the lever, each one fired normally. I had no misfires when cycling with the lever.

Is this likely a "light strike"? If so, why would they only occur when the hammer is cocked manually from the "safe"(half cocked) position? Can anybody help me out?

Thanks
Old September 23, 2009, 10:20 PM   #2
teeroux

Are you sure the lever was fully in the firing position when you cocked the hammer manually and fired?

Last edited by teeroux; September 24, 2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old September 23, 2009, 11:41 PM   #3
hoghunting

Have you pulled the bolt and given it a good cleaning. The firing pin channel could have a build-up of old oil, grease, or dirt that is slowing the firing pin.
Old September 24, 2009, 01:59 PM   #4
amadmann

Thanks for the replies!

Teeroux, that had not occured to me. It is possible that the lever was not totally in battery position. I'll do some follow-up test firing to see about that.

And, Hoghunting, before I test fire it, I'll take it down and give the bolt and pin a good cleaning. I think the rifle had been sitting up for a long time when in the possession of a previous owner, although it was well-cared for.

Again, thanks to you both!