The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 31, 2007, 11:31 AM   #1
Wildalaska

The Schlumpy Carrier

So for those of you who dont know, the American Yiddish word "schlump" means: "person who is sloppily or poorly dressed, careless dresser, untidy person" as in "hey check out Ken what a fat schlump he is".

Yep...my pants are baggy and I have the remnants of this mornings jelly donut attack (they are vicious creatures those jelly donuts, time for a thread, whats the best caliber against insane bloodthirsty jelly donuts, but I digress) on my shirt which apparently has shrunk since I wore it last ...

And for this mornings carry piece? A Webley mk III in 38 S&W in a tacticool suede junk box IWB clip on holster for an N Frame Smith...I have no belt on by the way so that my pants hang like a cheap thugs and my holster is sort of semi horizontal just hanging there....

But my particular circumstances are described more as a intro rather than as a how to...leading to my point (vacuous and utterly worthless as it may be)...

How do you, as a responsible gun owner, deal with a situation presented by shlumpy old me. Lets say you are at the range, and observe this horror? Do you say something? How about the shooting buddy whose gear is so mismatched and worn poorly as to be comical? Do you try to correct him?

Inquiring minds want to know.

WildomygodheretheycomejellydonutsinthewirejellydonutsinthewirecallinairstrikesbwaaaaaaaaaaaAlaska
Old July 31, 2007, 11:39 AM   #2
mikejonestkd

Wild,

I have a feeling that your day is about as boring as mine is at work...

IMO its the person, not the appearance.

I've seen plenty of tactical cool guys and gals with double thigh holsters ala Tomb Raider and dual HK usp's with ten mags each, wearing the latest in tactical cool fashions, matching from head to toe, probably wearing SIG underoos for all I know....and if they are nice polite people and safe then I have no issues with them whatsoever.

I apply the same standard with po' johnny and his beat up rossi in a handmade pleather holster and wallymart WWB ammo and a beatup old gym bag to carry everything home in. As long sa he is polite, and safe then I have no issues with him.

It all comes down to their character and content of their heart.

BTW I suggest glasers for jelly donuts.
Old July 31, 2007, 11:48 AM   #3
Wildalaska

Quote:
I have a feeling that your day is about as boring as mine is at work...
Hey my day is just starting

Wildiwantsigunderoos!Alaska
Old July 31, 2007, 11:49 AM   #4
Garand Illusion

For Jelly donuts ...

For jelly donuts I have 32 enameled slugs I use against them, some HP and some pointed. With that I can literally chew a jelly donut to pieces in seconds.

What little is left I flush away about 12 hours later.

In terms of dress ... as long as my fellow shooters are dressed in some manner I could care less.
Old July 31, 2007, 12:04 PM   #5
mikejonestkd

GI:

Nice!!!

I'll check on the SIG website to find underwear for you Wild,....I hate to ask...what size?
Old July 31, 2007, 01:17 PM   #6
Fremmer

Those schlumpy guys are usually the best hunters. Especially compared to the richie yuppie decked-out-in-Cabella's-brand-new-hunting-clothing guys.

I leave the schlumpy guys alone. They don't care, and they aren't afraid to tell you so.
Old July 31, 2007, 01:18 PM   #7
PJW001

Quote:
It all comes down to their character and content of their heart.
Exactly what I would say as well, packaging is secondary.
Old July 31, 2007, 01:28 PM   #8
Creature

Quote:
How do you, as a responsible gun owner, deal with a situation presented by shlumpy old me. Lets say you are at the range, and observe this horror? Do you say something? How about the shooting buddy whose gear is so mismatched and worn poorly as to be comical? Do you try to correct him?
No, I will not say anything because your appearance and how you look is your choice. I have however learned through experience never to underestimate anyone, especially based on appearance.

But, as a interesting social and possibly psychological question, a person's outward appearances is an important signaling system that instantly provides a certain amount information to others, intentionally or otherwise. How one dresses certainly affects how others interact with that person, just as personal hygiene also effects personal interaction...but at a closer distance!
Old July 31, 2007, 03:10 PM   #9
xrocket

It doesn't matter to me what you look like or wearing on your worst hair day. What I look for at the range is how you handle that jelly donut...er gun. It's all in the gun handling as to weather I stay and shoot with you or leave.

BTW at the outdoor public ranges which I no longer utilize if possible the characters that make me leave immediately are the young macho non English speaking Latinos teaching the very young Latinas how to shoot their .25 pistolas. It is wild!

Good shooting
Old July 31, 2007, 03:19 PM   #10
Zombie Steve

First, thank you for not including pictures of your pelvis area.
I'd have to agree that it's usually the guy who's "schlumpy" or has the beat up old .30 - 06 that is usually the better hunter / crack shot et cetera.
This might also get along the lines of "never get in a fight with an ugly person, they have nothing to lose"...
Old July 31, 2007, 03:21 PM   #11
Mannlicher

Quote:
But my particular circumstances are described more as a intro rather than as a how to...leading to my point (vacuous and utterly worthless as it may be)...How do you, as a responsible gun owner, deal with a situation presented by shlumpy old me. Lets say you are at the range, and observe this horror? Do you say something? How about the shooting buddy whose gear is so mismatched and worn poorly as to be comical? Do you try to correct him?

Inquiring minds want to know.
far be it for me to argue with you regarding the worth of your point.

and as to how I would deal with you in person at the range, I would probably look, grimace, and ignore. I am not judgmental regarding other's gear or appearance

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old July 31, 2007, 03:29 PM   #12
rantingredneck

Indeed my father in law's rear end has deserted him leaving him nothing to hold his pants up with, yet he can outshoot me with a rifle any day of the week and all day Sunday. Judge not the book by the cover my friend .

WA, I have this picture in my mind from this:

Quote:
And for this mornings carry piece? A Webley mk III in 38 S&W in a tacticool suede junk box IWB clip on holster for an N Frame Smith...I have no belt on by the way so that my pants hang like a cheap thugs and my holster is sort of semi horizontal just hanging there....
...that makes me think more of you as Wildthewebleypackinjellydonuteatinplumberalaska rather than Wildthewebleypackinjellydonuteatingunsellerextraordinairealaska. That's an image I could've done without thanks .
Old July 31, 2007, 04:48 PM   #13
Tanzer

Not bragging here, but I could wear Armani suits each day of the week if I wanted. I usually wear jeans with paint/ grease stains and old T-shirts because I'm a do-it-yourselfer. On the boat, I wear old shorts and the same T-shirts. Once went to look at dining room sets at a fancy store and the salesfolk avoided us because we had just been doing yardwork and didn't bother dressing up. Big mistake on their part. Happened at a car dealership also.
I have a black buddy at the range and he wears a dew-rag, but at least keeps his boxers hidden.
As stated before, noone who matters should worry about your appearence unless you purposely try to look like a thug.
Old July 31, 2007, 05:02 PM   #14
JoeBlackSpade

Eh...

The thing that bothered me about the OP is you said "my holster is sort of semi horizontal..."

I don't care what a guy's pants look like, or how they defy gravity, but if you MUZZLE ME, because your weapon isn't secured, I'm going to ask you to "PLEASE DO NOT MUZZLE ME WITH YOUR WEAPON."

Other than that, I love hanging out with the old unshaven bright-orange-John Deere hat-wearing hunters. They know "how to skin a buck and run a trout-line, and a country boy can survive..." Back when I lived near Atlantic Beach North Carolina, I had a few "Down Easter" friends. Excellent sportsmen, funny as heck, and amazing shooters. When we weren't hunting, we'd fish, and fry them suckers up right on the spot. Good eatin'.
Old July 31, 2007, 05:10 PM   #15
JunyTuck

Where do you conceal the Seecamp? In the belly folds with double faced tape?
Old July 31, 2007, 06:13 PM   #16
Edward429451

Quote:
When I see you (those guys) at the range, I usually think that there is the real America right there. Sometimes I'll strike up a conversation, mostly to see what he's shooting and frat a bit.

When I see the young metrosexuals there I think OMG what's this country turning into. The same with gangbanger types who wear their pants around their knees.

One time a metro was having trouble with his glock and I inquired to help. He was loading the cartridges in the mag backwards so I showed him the correct way and he was all oh my goodness I can't believe I did that hee hee, just like a girl. I wanted to puke.
Old July 31, 2007, 07:12 PM   #17
Trip20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA
A Webley mk III in 38 S&W in a tacticool suede junk box IWB clip on holster for an N Frame Smith...I have no belt on by the way so that my pants hang like a cheap thugs and my holster is sort of semi horizontal just hanging there.... <snip>

...How do you, as a responsible gun owner, deal with a situation presented by shlumpy old me.
One might harangue that you're not being the "responsible gun owner" having a firearm so poorly secured to your person.

I could care less about your personal appearance or the remnants of any sustenance left behind on your loose-fitting pants. I feel one’s hygiene is one’s own business. But I would care if your pistol fell on the floor in front of me in the Krispy Kreme check out line while you were searching for leftover jelly smeared in the knap of your pants.

As you often take issue with how others portray this community, I’m certain you can appreciate how unsafe firearm handling may be just as detrimental especially in public.

But lets not get too serious. I'm sure your post was in jest.
Old July 31, 2007, 10:14 PM   #18
gyp_c2

...hmm...

...no...his post was in-gest...teehee...
and the Colt'sdoinjustfinethankyaverymuch...even on the horizontalwaistcarrymode...
Old August 1, 2007, 07:44 AM   #19
Tanzer

Trip20 does bring up a good point. While we who answered this post vehemently deny that we would be botherd at the range, we are gun owners, and experience tells us that a "schlumpy" character is no better or worse than any of us. We would not be judgemental. BTW- I am assuming that WA is being somewhat gestful. I don't assume his gun is really lasering anyone - at least I hope not.
I stand behind my last reply about not bothering to dress up just to please others, but whether we like it or not, some people are judgemental. In the CCW arena, It can and does matter. We must check the mirror to assure that our attire properly conceals the bad boy we're carrying. We could cause quite a stir at the supermarket or the gas station if we bend down to get a pack of gum, and out pops the barrel of a .45.
You don't need to convince me, but the blue-haired old lady in line behind you may pull one of those "I'm traumatized" routines and you'll be waving your permit around saying; "no, really, I'm a good guy". That's how things are here at least.
When I got my CWP, they actually told me that they'd rather I carry regularly so it would become natural to me. I was told they had problems with people unfamiliar with the feel accidentally showing it and meeting up with cops in the parking lot of convenience stores etc (I live in a not-so-gun-friendly state).
Justified or not, there are those who will judge, and it can be a headache. Keep Captain Charlie's sig line in mind.

Last edited by Tanzer; August 1, 2007 at 08:20 AM. Reason: addition
Old August 1, 2007, 08:31 AM   #20
Kentucky Deer Hunter

A lesson in being judgemental...

I work in the car business (not sales, thank goodness) and I heard a story from another dealership that really got me thinking...

It was around 7:45pm one night and the dealership was closing up for the night as they close for business at 8:00pm when an old beat up pick-up truck pulled into the lot. Reluctentley(sp?) a salesperson went out to the truck and asked the man if he had any questions. The old man told the salesperson he wanted to test drive a truck (Brand New Dodge Dually $40,000 sticker price). The salesperson noticing the beat up truck and the unshaven/unclean man, said that they had already locked everything up and that he would have to come back tomorrow. Again the old man said that he wanted to drive the truck. The salesman, getting rude, said that he could not drive it, it was getting late and that he would have to come back another time. The old man reached under the passenger seat, grabbed a briefcase, opened it up and it was full of $100 bills. The old man said "Here's a tip" He handed the salesman a $100 bill and told him to never judge someone by the way they looked and drove off. He drove down the street and paid cash for the same truck at another dealership.

Personally, I would rather shoot/hunt/sit down and BS with an old country boy than a guy who has all the latest gadgets and toys. I don't have a problem with anyone who loves to shoot firearms, as long as they are safe and courteous.

However, the Sig Underoos would be cool

Imagine if every outdoorsman taught the sport to 2 young people -----> What are you doing to save our sport?
Old August 1, 2007, 10:05 AM   #21
zeroskillz

buy him a box of ammo
Old August 1, 2007, 10:09 AM   #22
ZeSpectre

The simple fact is that people get judged on appearance. Since most of us aren't psychic then the first thing we generally have to go on is the visual cues (appearance) followed by behavioral cues.

One of the most annoying things in the world (to me) is parents who insist that we need to break away from the "blue for boys and pink for girls" thing with babies and then get huffy with you when you ask if the neutrally dressed infant in the stroller is a boy or a girl.

Hey, no -other- visual cues so how the heck are we supposed to know???
Old August 1, 2007, 10:14 AM   #23
Mr. James

[Homer Simpson voice] Hmmmmm, reactive targets! [/Homer Simpson voice]

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old August 1, 2007, 11:12 AM   #24
Ian2005

As long as your not holding the pistol on the side and firing "gangsta" like, I really don't care what you wear. I've also never seen any of these type of people have much accuracy whatsoever compared to my targets, and that always gives me a laff. Now if some true homies come in a clear out the 3" ring at 20 yards, then I'll mildly impressed.

As for those angry blood-thirsty jelly doughnuts, well I decided to give up fighting those as I discovered the equation: N(number) * D(Doughnuts) = B(Belt size)
Old August 1, 2007, 11:40 AM   #25
spyderdude

I try to dress somewhat nice, but I've been wearing the same shirts and pants for years, it really doesn't matter to me. There are times I just want to wear a T-shirt and jeans, but I need to find a good IWB holster that will allow me to do that.

As for seeing someone as you describe as being poorly dressed, and carrying a gun, as long as they're not brandishing the gun, I don't care how they're dressed. They may get a quick glance from me, but as long as they're not acting suspiciously, they won't get anything else out of me. I can certainly care less how one is dressed at the range, because just about everyone there is there for one purpose... to shoot guns.

BTW: Wild, it was nice to finally meet you in person yesterday at your shop. I've taken your suggestion to just buy another 1911 rather than having my Springfield customized. Hey it's another gun in the safe right!?