The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 19, 2006, 05:24 PM   #1
daddus1

Thompson encore 454 ported barrel ??

Hi Gents,
Yes you have a new rookie on board so go ahead and have your fun but really
I'm contemplating having my 12 inch barrel for my 454 ported so it isn't such a mule, anyone out there have any suggestions?
Thanks,
daddus1
Old June 20, 2006, 07:59 AM   #2
mikejonestkd

I know two easy ways:

1. send it back to TC custom shop run by fox ridge outfitters and have them put a muzzle tamer brake on it.

http://www.foxridgeoutfitters.com/pr...fs/ACF85C8.pdf

http://www.foxridgeoutfitters.com/se...cfm?section=16

My latest pistol barrel in .308 winchester is tolerable with a TC muzzle brake.
I wouldn't even try to shoot it without a brake. Your .454 should have a significant reduction too.

2. Send it to a TC friendly shop for one of their brakes. Bullberry does great work

http://www.bullberry.com/

or E.Arthur Brown ( my personal favorite )

http://www.eabco.com

http://www.eabco.com/cssmb.html

Take a look at their JP brake. It may look funny but it sure does work!!

JP Howitzer/Sherman Tank Muzzle Brake
Large, double baffle surface area captures forward moving gases to actually pull the gun forward... nearly canceling out rearward recoil completely. Almost 100% recoil reduction... Without question, the most effective muzzle brake we've ever seen.
ORDER 127-JPE JP Muzzle Brake Installed $149
ORDER 127-JPES JP Brake (Stnls) Installed $169
Old June 20, 2006, 07:26 PM   #3
daddus1

Thank you, mikejonestkd

Do you know what makes this country great?
One of the things is we have the right to hunt and exchange ideas.
Thank you mikejonestkd for the wonderful information.
Thank you and GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Dave H
Old June 21, 2006, 07:42 AM   #4
mikejonestkd

daddus1, Let us know how it turns out for you.

The TC custom shop/ for ridge outfitters is probably the least expensive option.

When you are on the bullberry page or the E. Arthur Brown page, take a look at all the different barrels, stocks, mounts and accessories....Its amazing!!!

Keep em in the 10 ring.

Mike
Old June 21, 2006, 09:30 AM   #5
Moloch

@ daddus1

Iam very interested in a TC in .454casull, but I am not sure about the velocity gain in a none-revolver gap barrel up to 12-14''. I have a Ruger Super Redhawk 7,5'' and I think the .454 can do much more out of a 12'' barrel. (For silhuette shooting)
Old June 21, 2006, 11:18 AM   #6
mikejonestkd

Moloch,
I remember us posting about a .454 encore before. I am certain that you will see a significant gain in a 12" encore barrel over a revolver 7.5", but I am not sure how much. A 10 % gain in velocity would not be estimating too high...

A .454 with flat nose or hollow points is still a short range cartridge, but the encore barrel will help you get the most out of the potential, in terms of punch, trajectory, and in my experience with TC products - accuracy.

step up to reloading the newer pointed polymer tips and the ballistic potential goes up significantly....You would be very close to a .460 mag fired from a shorter barreled revolver, and with less recoil.

Keep up posted as to what you buy and how it works out for you!!!

Mike
Old June 21, 2006, 11:49 AM   #7
Moloch

Quote:
mikejonestkd: A .454 with flat nose or hollow points is still a short range cartridge, but the encore barrel will help you get the most out of the potential, in terms of punch, trajectory, and in my experience with TC products - accuracy.

Keep up posted as to what you buy and how it works out for you!!!

Mike
Yes, but I have to choose/plan my next gun purchase wisely, maybe you know that people in europe - except switzerland- can only have a small amount of specific guns.

However, I really like my Super Redhawk but I going to replace it with a more accurate (The Redhawk is very accurate but not enough at longer ranges) and more powerful simple working gun. (Single shot)
So we dont have a very large spectrum of handgun cartridges in our shops (lots of 9mm, 40S&W, .45ACP .357mag .44Mag and .454casull- special order ) and the most powerful of them all ist the .454. out of a longer barrel.
They dont even know the .500S&W (Would be my 1st TC choice) or the .45-70/90/120.

A friend bought a TC and he likes it very much (.308win w.o porting), and it looks very impressive and its fun too shoot, but the barrel is a little bit too long, I prefer 10'' to 12''.

If I buy one Ill order another barrel for it, in a rifle cal. (I like recoil ), maybe .308, 30-06 or 8x57 with a 12'' barrel.

But I still have to choose between a TC, a 10/22 and a 6'' .357mag 686.

How much do you pay for a TC?
Old June 21, 2006, 12:45 PM   #8
mikejonestkd

It clearly sounds like the .454 in a 12" barrel is just the thing for you. Accurate, powerful, ammo is almost readily available. Unfortunately TC doesn't have a 12" .454 barrel, but one can be made up for you easily by www.eabco.com

I paid about $300 for a stainless pistol frame and $ 200 for a pistol barrel. Prices are up lately, I think the demand has picked up and barrels are getting backordered.

Barrel and frame prices from one place: E Arthur Brown :

http://www.eabco.com/encore.html

It shows $299 for a blue frame and $319 for stainless

Barrel: 207-4944 Encore 15" Stnls w/Sights Barrel 460 S&W $251 You can shoot 45 colt, .454 and .460 s&w mag out of it. Its longer than you wanted.

They don't make a blue .454 or .460 barrel, odd since I thought they did...

As much as I like the handgun calibers, pistols like the encore really shine in the rifle calibers. There is no significant power gain going to a .30-06 vs .308 win out of a 15" barrel - more blast but not much more velocity. The .308 is still a mighty handfull to shoot in a pistol. Shooting a .308 makes a .454 feel like a 38 special...

Be careful with encores, they are addicting, pretty soon you'll have more barrels and scopes than you could imagine for it..

Enjoy!!!
Old August 17, 2006, 09:26 AM   #9
daddus1

Thompson Encore 12 inch 454 Casull barrel

Mike
I don't like disagreeing with folks but the 454 is a 12" barrel and it is blued.
The reason for me buying this barrel is in Deleware they have a week long
pistol season for deer.The barrels must be from 5.5" to 12.5 inches and the 454 was
the best I could find.
Isn't it amazing that little Delaware would be progressive enough to have a pistol only season? I love it!
I really thank you folks for all your great info. THANK YOU and I will post how the shooting is going as soon as my new knee will allow. You guys probably like funny stories anyhow.
daddus
Old August 17, 2006, 09:40 PM   #10
R.D.Wheeler

The first barrel I bought for my Encore was a 12" 454. I fully agree it is a handful. I shot mine a few times, bought some Past shooting gloves, which helped some. Mine is ported now and is a joy to shoot. It will shoot 45LC but has trouble ejecting them. They don't stick, its just that the ejector sometimes doesn't catch the rim. No problems with 454. Didn't know it would shoot anything else, thats cool. If I could only have one hunting gun the Encore would be it.
Robbie

Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?
Old August 17, 2006, 09:50 PM   #11
contender6030

Here's another link for muzzle breaks. David does good work.www.precisionrifleworks.net
Old August 18, 2006, 10:27 AM   #12
FirstFreedom

Magnaport does good work, and will get it back to you quickly...

http://www.magnaport.com/
Old August 22, 2006, 06:19 PM   #13
garryc

Quote:
Yes you have a new rookie on board so go ahead and have your fun but really
I'm contemplating having my 12 inch barrel for my 454 ported so it isn't such a mule, anyone out there have any suggestions?

First of all, no one here would port such a wimpy recoiling gun, it would be just un-macho.

Secondly, in order to become a senior member you must shoot 5 rounds of 600 nitro in an encore and be smiling at the end.

I'm sure you will find the stuff to become a senior member, welcome aboard