The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 7, 2004, 01:23 PM   #1
tech

Help I have broken my 45

Well I am a bonehead. I was replacing my mainspring housing and tapped the new one in to far and it is binding my grip safety. Problem is it is such a tight fit I can't pull it back off. I need directions to remove the grip safety so I can use a punch to drift it back out some and possibly remove some metal for a good fit. I am looking to buy the 1911 shop manual but would like to get this gun running again in the meantime. I have wanted to compleatly strip a 45 for some time and now it looks like I have a good excuse. I know I am on my way to knowledge as I have to screw something up about 3 times before I learn enough to do it right.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Old September 7, 2004, 04:43 PM   #2
freecdp45

http://www.m1911.org/full_technic.htm Go to this link it will tell and show you everything involved with a detail strip. You can do it just take your time.
Old September 7, 2004, 06:08 PM   #3
tech

Thanks freecdp45, I knew somone would help.

Mike
Old September 7, 2004, 06:16 PM   #4
tech

Ok, I have an ambi safety. After reviewing the directions on m-1911.org I see you are to remove the mainspring first. 1 can I remove the safety without removing mainspring housing? 2 How does one remove ambi safety?

Thanks,
Mike
Old September 7, 2004, 06:23 PM   #5
Edward429451

I'm not visualizing how you could get the mainspring housing in too far...

I'm thinking the leif spring may be in a bind and not seated in the horizontal slot. Take a good look at it when you finally get it apart to make sure its ok.

IANAGS!
Old September 7, 2004, 06:39 PM   #6
tech

Edward, you could be correct. The reason I think its binding is the grip safety is rubing on something when depressed. But I also find I can't cock the hammer so I have managed to do something wrong. Oh well I will know this pistol even better before I am thru. How does one remove the ambi safety and grip safety.

Mike
Old September 7, 2004, 07:34 PM   #7
Handy

Sounds like the hammer strut isn't in the plunger area of the mainspring, causing everything to bind.

I doubt you'll be able to get the top end apart without working the mainspring out, first. Try using a thin screwdriver blade to pry between the mainspring and lower end of the grip safety. Going slow, you should be able to move it wishout marring everything.

Good luck, and get a manual before you gunsmith.
Old September 7, 2004, 07:51 PM   #8
tech

Why Handy, that makes too much sense. I thought manuals and such were to be used after trying everything else(which I guess is now). Thanks for the info on the mainspring I was hopeing I could remove everything else and drive out the mainspring with a punch or screwdriver... Oh well tiny steps.

thanks,
Mike
Old September 7, 2004, 08:06 PM   #9
tech

Edward, you sir are the winner! The leaf spring that goes up the back strap, the sear? had slipped out of its slot in the frame when I slid the mainspring housing in. The only other mainspring housing I had replaced was on a Colt. The frame was not really true and it required me to tap it in. When I met some resistance on this Kimber I thought it was natural. Not so, with the sear in its slot the mainspring housing slid right in. I still need a book. This part swapping could get addicting.

Thanks all for the help.

Mike
Old September 7, 2004, 09:55 PM   #10
Handy

So, how'd you get it out?
Old September 7, 2004, 10:19 PM   #11
tech

Well I took your advice found the smallest screwdriver in the house. I had to use a mallot and tap it in between the grip safety and mainspring housing but once it started it slid right out. I am going to have to file on the top of the mainspring housing though as the grip safety rubs. It keeps the grip safety from kicking back after you release your grip. So there is no effective safety there. I wont be firing this until I have the problem fixed. Thanks again Handy and all.

Mike
Old September 8, 2004, 10:11 AM   #12
Edward429451

Well good, glad you got it apart. I think what you're calling the sear is just a locating 'nub?' on the lief spring to make sure it sits in just the right spot for proper function.

I've never had an ambi safety so have no guidance there. Is 1911Tuner here? He'd know I bet. If he doesn't show up here he'll be back on THR when it gets back up. You could post there to find out.

Patience bro, them 1911's are fairly simple once familier with the workings but some aspects of dis/reassembly do require a little finnesse to accomplish. Glad I could help.
Old September 8, 2004, 10:36 AM   #13
Handy

As I recall, most ambi safeties are simply retained by the right grip. Once you remove the right side safety, the left side is removed from the halfway position.
Old November 2, 2004, 12:14 PM   #14
FiremanDan

Yep Handy thats how mine is designed. When I remove mine I take the grips off and take the "Ambi" side and twist and pull just to kind of work it out. Mine works great. I do hate the grip safety spring though, what a pain, it never seems to stay where I put it, lol.