The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 10, 2001, 12:29 PM   #1
asdaf

oversized slim 1911 bushings?

I just got my newest 1911 and went to change the grips to Navidrex slimlines when- uh oh- I discovered that one of the bushings had been repaired with an oversized bushing. I've searched around but I can't find anyone who makes a slim oversized bushing.

Does anyone know of such a product?

Failing that, might it be possible to carefully file down a regular height bushing?

And lastly, if all else fails, what grips do people like for guys with small hands that make use of normal bushings? Navidrex makes a contoured grip- has anyone got an opinion on those?

Thanks for the help.
Old September 10, 2001, 05:35 PM   #2
Jim V

I have not seen any oversized slim line grip screw bushings offered. Perhaps a machinest could turn standard oversized bushings to the height needed.
Old September 11, 2001, 07:18 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Asdaf, I'd first contact the grip maker. They may have run into this before and have the oversize bushings on hand. If not then I'd try filing the bushings down or take it to your local smith and have him do it. George