The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 3, 2013, 10:38 PM   #1
Buzzard1

How do I get C&R license?

I have finally decided its time to get a C&R license. I have put it off for years, always thinking ahh whats the big deal, just 20 bucks at the regular ffl and never plan on buying another gun. But it happens, and probably cost me hundreds over the years.

What are the steps I need to take and what is this going to cost?

Any input would be appreciated, maybe even places to buy cheap guns that qualify. I really know nothing on the subject, but on several of the guns I have bought online over the years it says C&R accepted. Maybe some of the details on buying and selling, what you can and cant do.

Buzzard
Old June 4, 2013, 11:08 AM   #2
Flea21

Re: How do I get C&R license?

I too would like to know more ab I ut this license as well. I heard theyre very easy to get but what are they for and what are the limits of its power exactly?
Old June 4, 2013, 12:59 PM   #3
kilimanjaro

You get the license from the BATFE. You get the application, ATF Form No. 8from their website, fill it out completely, return with the $30 fee, and send a copy to your local sheriff.

Unless the local cops object to your having such a license, the BATFE checks you out, if all is well, you get your license in 30 days or so.

The license allows you to purchase C&R eligible firearms without further 4473 forms or NICS checks, although many dealers still do them. Theoretically, you can furnish a signed copy of your license to a dealer, pay for the C&R gun, and walk out with it. Reality is usually different. You can order C&R guns over the internet or by mail, and have them shipped to your door. Non-C&R guns you still buy from a dealer in the usual manner.

You keep a record of all your C&R purchases, during the time your license is current, and record all transfers or disposals of C&R items from your collection. BATFE can perform audits of licensees, but only a few cases have been discussed on this board, so it's rare. They have other things to do. At renewal time, you state how many C&R guns have been purchased or sold under your expiring license term, a large number sold may get some attention. It is not a dealer's license, it allows you to engage in collecting activity, not dealing for profit.

That's it in a nutshell.
Old June 4, 2013, 01:11 PM   #4
carguychris

Quote:
Unless the local cops object to your having such a license, the BATFE checks you out, if all is well, you get your license in 30 days or so.
It's important to point out that local law enforcement only has to be notified that you've applied for a C&R license- you do not have to wait for them to approve the license. It's not comparable to the approval that's required when purchasing certain NFA firearms.

Draft a formal but short letter with your name and address, and state that you're required by federal regulations to notify local law enforcement that you're applying for a federal firearm collector's license. Address it directly to your local police chief, sheriff, or whomever, using the default address from their website or the telephone book; don't call and ask where to send it, you'll just confuse them (that's the voice of experience speaking ). State that the letter is intended solely as a notification, and that they are not required to take any action. Send it certified mail, retain a copy of the letter and the mail receipt, put them in a secure file, and forget about it. In most cases, the letter presumably gets stashed in a dusty file box somewhere, or is thrown away.

Last edited by carguychris; June 4, 2013 at 01:44 PM. Reason: info added...
Old June 5, 2013, 02:36 PM   #5
BigTex308

Subscribed.

Ike
Old June 6, 2013, 11:23 AM   #6
Scorch

Quote:

It's important to point out that local law enforcement only has to be notified that you've applied for a C&R license- you do not have to wait for them to approve the license. It's not comparable to the approval that's required when purchasing certain NFA firearms.
This is correct. Per the BATFE Licensing Division, you are only notifying the local CLEO, not asking for permission or approval.

Current wait times are running about 2 months, and there are plenty of stupid things the BATFE is doing to slow down the process (my favorite: you mail your application to the payment center in GA, then they mail the current batch of applications to the data processing center in VA once a week , where it takes a month to scan the document into the system before a human even gets to look at it). But overall, they are pretty much just gov't workers: not enthusiastic, but generally not interested in obstructing the process any.
Old June 6, 2013, 01:19 PM   #7
gdvan01

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/curios-relics.html

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard
Old June 6, 2013, 03:01 PM   #8
BigTex308

Sent mine off yesterday.

Ike