The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 9, 2012, 05:08 PM   #26
homesick

Some years ago while living in So. Dak. my wife and I were hunting the Missouri river breaks. We had sat for a while over looking some draws with no success. There was about a foot and a half of snow on the ground but we had to cross a picked corn field which had knee high snow. As were walking a 3X3 buck stands up about 150 yards from us so I told her to take him. When she shot the buck went straight down next thing we see is the buck back on its feet. I told her to to pop him again which she did, and down he went. When we got over to her buck there were two laying there, side by side they must have been brothers as they were idenitical. It wasn't a bad day as I had shot a nice muley on the Indian res. in the AM.
Old January 11, 2012, 02:28 AM   #27
Countertop

Quote:
if you read the comments, you'll note that that was illegal. The shooter took 2 deer with a limit of 1.
FrankenMauser,

First, where in the comments? I went back two years in the comments and didn't see anything regarding its legality, or that he took two deer with a limit of 1?

Why do you think the limit is 1? For all I could tell looking at the video it could be here in Virginia (where we have no daily limit for does). From the sound of it, they were certainly in the Southeastern US.

And I know of no law that says you can't take 2 with 1 shot. I've done it twice with a .280 Remington. Heck, its not deer, but the Ruffed Grouse Society actually has a special pin you can get if you have a witness to your taking two birds with a single shot. How is this any different?
Old January 17, 2012, 07:48 PM   #28
12GaugeShuggoth

It's definitely not something I would intentionally try to pull off, but I've had hunting partners who've had it happen while shotgun hunting. Generally happens when hunting in thick cover with not much visibility.

I shot a doe at semi-close range with a slug once, didn't see the deer directly behind her until it took off after the shot. The slug exited the first deer and I never could determine if it hit the second one. Never found any blood and the deer wasn't limping or anything when it ran away, still had me worried though.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old January 18, 2012, 09:31 PM   #29
MOshooter65202

I think you made the right decision on waiting for an open clean shot on one animal,just too many variables with shot placement,bullet construction,and "hunting ethics" to chance such a unpredictable shot....jmo