The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 21, 2011, 04:44 PM   #26
zippy13

Quote:
I suspect the shooter with the issues - did not have a clean gun / and it probably wasn't lubed properly.
With troublesome auto-loaders it's frequently an ammo problem, especially if it's a super lite or a re-load. Un-sized or mushroomed crimped reloads can raise havoc with almost any stick gun.
Old February 21, 2011, 05:10 PM   #27
TheKlawMan

I like Zippy's tip on taking the last squad position and learning by watching the ohters. As for Ziggy be even older than us, from some pics i looked at of one of the recent groups Ii will feel old enough amongst the twenty somethings. At least my 870 with a field barrel will fit in with a group ranging from what looked like a 24" Mossberg semi to various pumps with long barrels to even a Citori.

I think Jim may be right about that Benelli simply needing a proper cleaning. It sure looked pretty but could have been filthy on the inside.
Old February 27, 2011, 11:40 PM   #28
TheKlawMan

Zippy13: I did Don's introductory skeet clinic today at Triple B and he was great, and the club was very nice. I presented a real challenge, especially given I had the pump. I did get a double, but using his expensive Berreta O/U. My mount isn't that bad, my LOP is too long, I keep looking at the barrel, and he showed me how to pump and be able for a quick second shot. Of course he showed us a lot more of the essentials to shooting a shotgun. For a few bucks I sure got a lot of stuff to work on, while having a nice day.
Old February 28, 2011, 12:47 AM   #29
zippy13

Glad to hear you had a good time. I was concerned that the place might have been underwater after the recent storm. The view of fresh snow on the San Gabriel Mtn's was probably a little distracting. After your time with Dan, now things like: stance, foot position, hold point, acquiring the target, swing, lead and follow through have a more precise meaning for you. Just out of curiosity, how large was the class?
Old February 28, 2011, 01:37 AM   #30
TheKlawMan

Zippy. The class was 9. If you want to see some pics of the group they are at
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=402191 . You will ID the handsome young man holding the 870 with the LE forend, but yes that stuff means a lot more now. As for the view, I grew up with it but it was at its best and I have to say I miss it.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; February 28, 2011 at 01:42 AM.

Tags
chokes , skeet , trap