The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 12, 2010, 09:11 PM   #1
mxa

spotting scope for .17 caliber at 100 yards

Can someone recommend a good spotting scope that can see .17 caliber bullet holes at 100 yards? I've got a 3x15x42 weaver scope currently on my rifle that I can just barely see the bullet holes but it takes too much concentration especially if the bullet holes are in a non-white area of the target. I'm willing to spend about $400.00 but would like to spend less if possible. I don't think I need a 60 power scope so I probably could get by with a 35 or less. Anyone have some firsthand experience with .17 caliber at 100 yards? One other thing is that I need good eye relief since I wear glasses.

Thanks
Old October 13, 2010, 06:56 AM   #2
kx592

My simple fix to this for my .17 and .22 shooting is get the Winchester targets that glow green or red when hit, you will see the holes easily through the scope after the shot.
Old October 13, 2010, 11:27 AM   #3
mxa

Yes those type of targets do work better but I don't like using them.all the time.

Im considering a bushnell 15-45x60 legend ultra hd scope for around 320.00 but I would like to hear from someone on if I will be able to see .17 bullet hits at a 100yrds with this scope.

It seems reasonable that if I can almost see them using my 15 power scope then at a higher magnification it should be better.
Old October 24, 2010, 02:31 AM   #4
Norrick

slightly related, but midwayusa has a sale to the end of october on what they are calling factory seconds of Orange peel targets. When you hit the black area of the circle it shows a bright yellow background which makes it very easy to pick up through a scope.

I purchased 3 packs of these on sale and I swear I can't find anything wrong with them, which is the whole idea of the reduced price. I'm going to get more because they only let you buy 3 at a time (50 per pack at 5.99 each)

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=867456
Old October 24, 2010, 04:35 AM   #5
machrism

I will never buy another Bushnell scope. That thing broke on me a year after owning it at a time I really needed. Took great care of it too. Me personaly. For such a small caliber though. I would just get the better targets and save the money. Are targets the only thing you shoot at or are you just zeroing?