The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 1, 2016, 08:34 PM   #76
Wildernesshunter

To the OP....your desire for a round is very similar to mine, but I do not need a "kids hunting gun". Your stretch from wanting a 1,000 yard rifle to a kids deer gun is a tough one. When I think of your challenge, my mind keeps going back to a gun I have been checking out at a local gun store.

The Howa 1500 Hogue Kryptek Full Dip would be handy for hunting with the 20" barrel, would have lighter recoil for the kids and be heavy and solid enough for your bench rest needs.

This gun comes in a 243 and 7mm-08...along with 25-06 and 270.

http://www.legacysports.com/catalog/...ull-dip-rifle/

For me.....I want a 12lb gun and a 26" barrel that is dedicated to long distance target. I am still undecided, as I want exceptional, stable long range....but I also want low recoil. Most of the 260 rifles are pricey. 243's are very reasonable. Remington has a Varmint in a 243, 26" heavy barrel for under $600. I am leaning toward it, except its twist is loose and it will probably have difficulty stabilizing a bullet over 100gr. choices....choices......

Old November 21, 2016, 09:21 PM   #77
Outdoorsmin

Thank you for all of the well thought out replies. I think for now I will throw out he .308. I will buy one some day but yes I realize it's to close to the 30.06. I just wanted something different than the 30.06.

I know achieving 1000 yards and being a kid friendly gun is a very wide range of needs. And honesty I have a tikka .223 on a MDT chassis and magpul accessories that is probably better suited for the long long range shooting.

I have thought more practical and decided the 25.06, 260, 6.5cm and 243 would be better suited for my needs; shooting medium sized game up to deer (I use my 30.06 for deer) up to roughly 500 yards and being that I will probably not reload for a while the 243 is my best bet. Agree? I think most people have their favorites but I want a Tikka for the Sako action (going to switch out the chassis to MDT) therefore that leaves me the 243 and 260 again. I just can't make up my mind . Like my wife picking out a dinner spot
Old November 22, 2016, 03:12 AM   #78
eastbank

its easier to get a .264 barrel in the right twist for heavy high BC bullets,than a .243 barrel. eastbank.
Old November 22, 2016, 09:30 AM   #79
Rifletom

This has been an interesting read. I would think, as has been pointed out, that with improved bullets in factory ammo, the .243 Win has truly evolved. I simply do not know enough about the .260 to even comment on. There is always the .257 Roberts, but the OP did not bring that one up, and only a very few rifle's chambered for it. Excellent cartridge tho. I believe the .243 will work just fine for the stated purpose. Not sure for the 1,000 yd stuff, but everything else, fine. Well, there you have it.
Old November 22, 2016, 10:32 AM   #80
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsmin
I want a Tikka for the Sako action
While Tikka might be owned by Sako, it isn't a Sako action. If you go compare the two actions you'll see there aren't very many similarities. If you want a Sako action you're best bet is to buy a Sako.
Old November 23, 2016, 12:01 AM   #81
Outdoorsmin

Well the Tikka actions seem quite a bit smoother than my model 70 pre 64's to me.
Old November 23, 2016, 09:36 AM   #82
taylorce1

There is nothing wrong with Tikka rifles, and I'm not against recommending them. They are all long actions even for short action cartridges, and you can't single load from the top these are two things I don't care for. However, they are good rifles but like I said earlier they aren't a Sako action.