The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 8, 2013, 04:32 PM   #1
royboy

Re-lined my Winchester 1890/1906 .22

After a lot of research I just finished rebuilding my uncle's old Winchester model 1890/1906. The 1890 & 1906 parts are almost interchangeable so there lots of parts online. After re-lining the barrel, I replaced the receiver, the bolt, firing pin, main spring, hammer, trigger, inner magazine tube, the front magazine tube hanger and numerous other small parts. I also had to repair a large crack in the butt stock. Tried sighting it in but it was shooting 3"-4" to the right. I tapped the f/sight until it fell off. After more research it was determined that the barrel needed to be straightened. With my friend holding the barrel on a couple of blocks on the anvil I took an 8# sledge and hit it until it was zeroed in. It's UGLY but that's the way I got it and it is now a tack driver.
Old August 8, 2013, 08:09 PM   #2
iraiam

I always refer to an 8# sledge as a fine adjustment tool

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old August 8, 2013, 11:04 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Doesn't sound like much is left of the original gun.

Jim
Old August 9, 2013, 05:38 AM   #4
Old Stony

I once did the same sort of thing with a model 90 I acquired. Shooting it off of a picnic bench I found it could not be sighted in. I put part of the barrel in between the boards of the bench and applied a little pressure several times along the barrel and it sighted in just fine afterward. Those barrels are more pliable than some people think.
Old August 13, 2013, 04:38 PM   #5
oldgunsmith

The fork of a tree works if there's not a bench around. Works on shotguns, too.
Old August 18, 2013, 12:26 AM   #6
Scorch

Quote:
Doesn't sound like much is left of the original gun.
Sounds like the apocryphal "jacked up the front sight and changed everything under it".
Old August 18, 2013, 12:33 AM   #7
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Sounds like the apocryphal "jacked up the front sight and changed everything under it".
Yea. It reminds me a bit of a Savage 99 "restoration" I saw on a now-defunct local forum.

The guy wanted to save his grandfather's 1918 Savage 99 that had been hidden in a chicken house for 30+ years, but it was in really poor shape (not surprisingly).

3 parts guns, many shipments from Numrich, and an astronomical gunsmith bill later....
He had a cut-down original barrel, and buttplate, with everything in between being replaced; and the entire rifle refinished/reblued.

It was a pretty big deviation from what most of us would take on for a "restoration" or even a 'rebuild'.

BUT .... He was happy with it.
Old August 24, 2013, 08:54 PM   #8
Hawg

Sounds like Daniel Boone's original tomahawk. The handle has only been replaced three times and the head twice.