The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old January 15, 2009, 09:46 PM   #1
w_houle

sights not aligned with receiver

I hold this Romanian M1969 .22 lr, and notice a distinct feeling that if I hold the rifle perpendicular to the ground that it looks like the sights are canted to between the 11:30 and 11:45. Any thoughts?

Last edited by w_houle; January 15, 2009 at 10:00 PM. Reason: oops, wrong spot.
Old January 15, 2009, 10:59 PM   #2
LHB1

Thought: How does it shoot? At what distance? With rest?
Old January 16, 2009, 07:04 PM   #3
w_houle

Actually have not got that far, I just bought it and it came with a broken firing pin.
Old January 16, 2009, 09:07 PM   #4
troy_mclure

might want to take to the rifle area, you will get more responses there, but it sounds like the bbl wasnt tightened down completely.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 17, 2009, 06:48 AM   #5
Falcon5NZ

I could be way off but was reading another forum earlier tonight (Intl Ammo Assoc) and they were discussing an old sight and apparntly it was to compensate for drift. http://cartridgecollectors.org/forum...pic.php?t=5540.
Other wise could it be you are unconciously tilting the rifle slightly. I hold mine twisted about 5 degs clockwise
It is New Zealand's role to send out its bright young men and women to help run the rest of the world. And they go, not hating the country of their birth, but loving it. From this loving base they make their mark on the world.

Pro-1080 Poison and proud of it!!
Old January 17, 2009, 11:29 AM   #6
kraigwy

I dont think the cant the sights to allow for drift, thats what windage adjustments are for. I think its just a screw up some where along the line. I wouldnt put up with it if it was me.

First get it running and see if the barrel shoots worth a hoot. If it does, pull the barrel off, index it so the sights line up, (by shorting the shank and shoulder of the barrel, run a finsh reamer in it to get it head spaced propertly, then shoot it.

If it dont shoot, replace the barrel.

I certainly wouldnt put up with a gun with the sights hanging off the side of a barrel.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071