The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 26, 2010, 03:09 PM   #1
Strider62

Golani Sporter firing pin - where to find one?

I really like my Golani Sporter, but probably mostly for "sentimental" reasons - always liked Galils since the first time I saw a photo of one, and then I had the chance to carry a captured R5 while I was in Somalia (besides burning the bejeezus out of my hand on the exposed barrel above the handguard I loved carrying/using it - MUCH handier than my issued M16A2).

Sentimentality aside, the weapon does have a few drawbacks, all of which others have already mentioned so I won't repeat them...except to say that I blame the double-feeds I've encountered on not cleaning the weapon properly (despite the fact that it's supposed to be "unnecessary" for an AK system...when it's clean it functions great, when it's dirty it double-feeds...seems pretty clear to me...)

My biggest issue, though, is that my firing pin broke and I can't find a replacement anywhere. I even called Century Arms and all they could do was give me the phone numbers for Numrich, Brownells, Sarco and Lee's Gun Parts - none of whom had a Golani firing pin.

Does anybody know where I can get a replacement? NOT a Galil firing pin, but a Golani "floating" firing pin.

Thanks very much!
Old January 8, 2011, 07:34 PM   #2
aridangler

Difference between floating and non-floating firing pin

I have had two firing pins snap on my CAI Galil. The first snapped after approx 600-700 rounds and the second after approx 500 rounds. I have looked at the design of the pin and feel that there is a design flaw. I have fed this Galil a steady diet of russian wolf ammo and dont really believe that this is the reason for the FP breaks. The breaks have occured at the contact point of the Firing pin and the retention pin in the bolt Is this where yours occured. To answer your question, CAI sent me a replacement FP the 1st time and I'm hoping they send me another one when I call them on Monday. Good luck on your repair.
Old January 8, 2011, 10:17 PM   #3
Lashlarue

Has your Golani had the firing pin fix, Century recalled a bunch about two years ago. Mostly Gal ser#s. They were getting slam fires and replaced the firing pin with a spring loaded one.The receivers that have had the fix will have a "f" stamped on the bottom of the receiver. Later versions[Gln#s] came with the spring loaded firing pin.

Tags
firing pin , galil , golani , parts