The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 14, 2010, 06:24 PM   #1
kraigwy

375 H&H Plinking load

Nerer thought much about Trail Boss powder until I read this months Handloader Mag. (I'm into conventional pistol powders for pistols).

The article talked of using trail boss as a reduce load rifle powder, indicating fill the case until it reaches the bottom of the bullet, then use 75% of that for a starting load.

I figrue, What to Heck? I got a couple lbs to play with, figuring worse comes to worse, I could load some cowboy loads for my pistol.

I mention before that I make my own jacketed 270 grn 375 bullets. My 75% load as mentioned above figured at 20 grs of trail boss. The recoil is less then my Rem 700 Varment in 223. Velocity is 1340 FPS out of my Model 70 Winchester.

I didnt try for groups (its started getting pretty cold). I was able to wack my 50 year 8 in. pistol gong from the offhand position. The is without changing my scope settings which is zerroed at 250 yards for my normal 270 grn load.

Good case volume with trailboss that you dont get with reduced loads.

Tomorrow, I'm trying TrailBoss in my 416 Rigby,.........I'd love a reduced load in that, that sucker is punishing.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 14, 2010, 06:58 PM   #2
cornbush

My brother tried some trailboss in his 270 just for s@#ts and giggles, it was pretty fun and extremely mild in recoil, like a 22 mag.
Old March 14, 2010, 07:46 PM   #3
darkgael

yep

"Tomorrow, I'm trying TrailBoss in my 416 Rigby,.........I'd love a reduced load in that, that sucker is punishing."

Please let us know about that. I've been itching to try the same thing.
Pete
Old March 15, 2010, 01:54 AM   #4
AlaskaMike

I might have to get some Trail Boss. I've been trying to find a decent load with cast bullets for my .375 H&H, but the powders that work well in my .30-06 cast loads like 2400 and IMR 4227 aren't doing all that hot in my .375.

Mike