The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 12, 2002, 11:10 AM   #1
Joe Taylor

Seeking good, accurate, off the shelf .223

Been shotting a number of different rounds through my Bushmaster. Trying to find the ideal round.

What is considered the best, most accurate .223 that a regular guy like me can find in a typical gun shop. Right now I'm not interested in reloading, I just want an excellent off the shelf brand of ammo.
Old August 12, 2002, 12:45 PM   #2
stick

"Ideal" for what?

If you want good quality for throwing several hundred down range at a 3 gun match or for keeping around "just in case" (guessing 55 grain FMJ) look at the standard Blackhills offerings, Federal and Winchester's white box (American Eagle and USA). These are more expensive than surplus ammo but are typically more consistant.

If you are looking for "match grade" give Black Hills and Federal a try.

If it's a wonder bullet you desire for hunting varmints or defending the home stead go forth and try all the wiz-bang stuff from the major manufactures in an appropriate weight and design.

Note: check out your barrel's twist for compatiblity with bullets other than 55 grain (both heavier and lighter).
Old August 12, 2002, 04:15 PM   #3
motorep

Black Hills blue box 55 gr soft point.
Old August 22, 2002, 11:12 AM   #4
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

I very much like Ultramax .223 - - -

- - -notwithstanding a recent thread in another forum discussing poor quality of their .308 ammo.

My agency has bought many thousands of rounds of the Ultramax .223, in 55 gr. SP, for practice and qualifications in our Mini 14s and privately owned other-types. I have tested it for accuracy in three AR15s (Two Colts and a Bushmaster) and one bolt gun. I was amazed at the level of accuracy from a remanufactured, inexpensive load. I've bought perhaps a thousand rounds at various times. The 55 SP runs about $15 per box of fifty rounds, FMJ slightly less, HP a bit more. They also sell some "blemished" ammo, still excellent but discolored or mildly dinged, for a little less. I can load better ammo, but I spend a lot of time and money doing so.

I've also been well impressed with the quality and accuracy of the Winchester 55 FMJ, code Q3131.

I understand that some of the "Premium" ammo shows really outstanding accuracy, but I don't need that level of precision, and certainly don't need to pay the price!

Best regards,
Johnny Guest