The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 16, 2007, 02:20 PM   #1
TNBulldog

Smith and Wesson 460 XVR, THE hunting handgun?

As a proud owner of a Super Redhawk in .454, I hate to say this, but after reading up on the 460 XVR, I'm wondering if this isn't THE definitive hunting handgun. The 460 S&W's numbers just amaze me and this gun appears to be incredibly accurate at even 100yds and farther. It's flat shooting light loads still pack an absolute whallop energy wise as well. I really like the built in compensator that comes factory made as well. This does appear to be quite a heavy gun as well as only 5 shots (but does that matter?) as it's two downsides.

The Super Redhawk is lighter and has 6 shots, but is also in a weaker caliber which the XVR can chamber. The Smith and Wesson 500 has little use on this continent and to be honest seems like an "I've got the biggest d!@# gun" to me as it has little applications here really other handguns won't match as all the extra energy isn't needed. The T/C and other single shots IMO are little more than glorified rifles with the stock removed to make the shot more difficult and do not fall in the classic handgun format.

SOOO, is it just me or is this thing pretty much the end all be all in handgun hunting? The more I read about this gun/caliber, the more flattened I am by it (no pun intended ).
Old July 16, 2007, 02:41 PM   #2
tomh1426

Maybe it is this week but who knows
I think this might be cool
http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/p...581166,00.html
Old July 16, 2007, 05:14 PM   #3
mikejonestkd

The .460 is impressive and is a great hunting cartridge..

But the Smith revolver may not be ' the ' hunting pistol. At least not in my neck of the woods.

Please consider this : http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/encorePistols.php

How's a .270 win or a .30-06 pistol sound to you? How about a .450 marlin?
Old July 16, 2007, 05:18 PM   #4
TNBulldog

Not being argumentative, but in my first post I talked about the T/C as closer to a rifle than a handgun, and those rounds are rifle rounds.

Don't you think the T/C is closer to a rifle than a traditional handgun? And after having said all that I think it would be really cool to have one. The last time I was at the gun and knife show at the fairgrounds one cought my eye.
Old July 16, 2007, 05:28 PM   #5
mikejonestkd

In my area no rifles are allowed for deer, so we make do with whats legal.

An encore is a ' pocket rifle ' and TC puts time and effort into making them very accurate and reliable. They are no more difficult to shoot than any similarly sighted revolver.

Nothing against a big bore revolver but i'll stick with my encore for deer, and so will almost all my friends and family that hunt deer in western NY.
Old July 16, 2007, 06:38 PM   #6
tomh1426

How's a .270 win or a .30-06 pistol sound to you?
Scary
Old July 16, 2007, 10:26 PM   #7
FirstFreedom

The 200@2,200 "standard" load for the .460 has a terrible sectional density - fine for deer, but bad choice for big and/or mean game with thick bones. 'Course, you could load up any style you want, but the hyped hi-vel store-bought .460 ammo is not good for penetration. .454s shot in the .460, OTOH, different story..... just match the load to the game and you'll do fine - if you do, then yes it's pretty much the ultimate hunting handgun, except for, of course, the Magnum Research BFR in .45-70 gov't! Or an XP100/Striker/T-C style.
Old July 17, 2007, 10:26 AM   #8
Wild Bill Bucks

Don't know where your from Bulldog, but here in Oklahoma, my Super Red Hawk 44 magnum, with 240 grain hollow points, takes care of everything from Hogs to Bigfoot. If it's to big for my .44, I guess I'd have to use my 3/4 ton.
Old July 17, 2007, 04:52 PM   #9
TNBulldog

The TN in front of Bulldog kinda gives it away I'm not being arguementative, just getting other ppl's feedback. Like I said, I don't own one, nor have I shot one, just been impressed with what I've read is all.
Old July 17, 2007, 05:14 PM   #10
Scorch

Bigger is not alway better. As stated above, the 460 S&W only gets its velocity by using a bullet that isn't solid enough to do what you want it to do. Try it with the 350 gr JFP and you will find it won't do much more than a 454 Cassull. And a 454 Cassull is a handful.
Old July 17, 2007, 10:57 PM   #11
FirstFreedom

Wild Bill, get with the program - the Bigfoot strains in Tenn are bigger, dontchaknow!
Old July 18, 2007, 06:51 AM   #12
Moloch

Dont let you fool, just because the case of the cartridges is a bit longer and the guns is extremely big does not mean it kills better!

Just to do some math:
Corbon sells a .454 Cassul 360 @ 1300 which gives you SD of ~.240 and 1300 ft/lbs! That combination of bullet weight and speed killed an elephant and a giraffe! Why do you want more if you can kill the biggest critters on earth with it?

The .460 isnt so great, it has less sectional density than a .45ACP, even though its almost three times faster it wont penetrate much further into tough flesh and bone and the .454 will outpenetrate it for shure!

If you want a flat shooting very accurate .454 that almost matches the .460 than choose the 265 grain @ 1800 fp/s - 1906 ft/lbs, great for deer and plinking and has still a lot more sectional density- penetration.

There is really no need for a bigger gun, and that comes from .500S&W owner (although my girlfriend never complained about the size of my maleness )
It makes for shure lots of fun to launch some 500 grainers @ 1600 out of my 4'' snubbie .500SW, but there is really no need for a gun over .454 if its for plain hunting. What you cant kill with heavy .454 loads you cant kill with a .50BMG either (except light armored vehicles.)

I own a super redhawk too, great gun, recoil is super-easy (it just whips a bit) in fact the most accurate handgun I've ever shot! Take care of it, its a keeper. The big framed S&W revolvers are crazy heavy and no fun to carry in the fields.

Final words: Load your RSRH with 300+ grainers, hit heart/lung/head and go hunt whatever you want and have fun.
Old July 18, 2007, 10:02 AM   #13
TNBulldog

I appreciate that take Moloch, that's what I was looking for. Not sure how other's got I was insenuating I'm chasing bigger badder game than everyone else or knocking other calibers.
Old July 18, 2007, 10:47 AM   #14
Wild Bill Bucks

Sorry Guys, didn't mean to offend. I was just making a Ha Ha.
I just meant that for my area, a .44 magnum is really all the gun a man would need. If others have need for more fire-power, I would be the LAST guy to tell them not to shoot what-ever they want.

Being born in a hay loft in Pittsburg county Oklahoma, and raised by the Choctaw Indians, it never even occurred to me to look at the TN.
Sorry bout dat.
Old July 18, 2007, 03:06 PM   #15
FirstFreedom

WBB, we were just kiddin with you....

Yes, and.... AND, Bigfoot has a lot of crop fields to nourish his body out there allowing him to grow larger. Plus there is an abundant snipe & cupuchabra population for his protein nutrient needs. He's been known to snatch hillbillies in eastern TN when protein is scarce.
Old July 19, 2007, 11:18 PM   #16
BlondieStomp

Quote:
The .460 isnt so great, it has less sectional density than a .45ACP, even though its almost three times faster it wont penetrate much further into tough flesh and bone and the .454 will outpenetrate it for shure!

If you want a flat shooting very accurate .454 that almost matches the .460 than choose the 265 grain @ 1800 fp/s - 1906 ft/lbs, great for deer and plinking and has still a lot more sectional density- penetration.
I was definitely under the impression that the 460 also is able to shoot 454 casull. If the diameter of the bullets is close enough to shoot in the same barrel, how do you explain the big difference in sectional density? The next logical step is to wonder if the same bullets are being used, wouldn't the higher velocity at same weight of .460 exceed .454 performance?

460 S&W MAG 395 HC 1525FPS/2040FTLBS
[HT460SW395/2]

Sectional density = ~.273

454 CASULL 320 GR. FPPN 1600FPS/1819FTLBS

Sectional density = ~.221

Both corbon hunter loads.
Old July 23, 2007, 01:35 AM   #17
BlondieStomp

anyone?