The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 20, 2016, 10:21 AM   #1
Roland Thunder

380/32 Comparison

I have a Kahr PM9 that I carry (when I carry). I had been thinking about selling and getting something lighter and smaller. So, I put together this matrix comparing the various 380/32 pistols.

It looks to me like I would have to settle for a Kel-Tec or Ruger LCP (or something else not in this comparison) if I want to go smaller/lighter. I love the looks of the Walther PPK and CZ-83 but I would be giving up power for something bigger with less power. Single action cocked and locked are not an option for me.

As a disclaimer, the specs came from the following website:
http://whichgun.com/pistols/

This is a nice website for comparing gun specs.
Old May 20, 2016, 11:10 AM   #2
PSP

If you want a small .32 or .380, don't forget Seecamp. Much small than the Kel Tec or Ruger. Very reliable and well made.

link to size comparisons.
http://seecamp.com/overlays.htm
Old May 20, 2016, 12:34 PM   #3
tallball

That's why I ended up with the P3AT. I wanted the smallest and lightest 380.
Old May 20, 2016, 01:44 PM   #4
ifithitu

I like the BG 380 & G42 380,and I keep them loaded with hollow points.Can't speak for others,but I thank they are the best.
Old May 20, 2016, 03:55 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

"Power" is not all it's purported to be.
Having a gun is the most important thing.
Old May 20, 2016, 04:04 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

Quote:
If you want a small .32 or .380, don't forget Seecamp. Much small than the Kel Tec or Ruger. Very reliable and well made.
Almost 50% heavier, and twice the price of the three best choices on the list.
For a truly small, and light, easy to carry pocket gun, stick with the Kel-Tec P32, P3at, or Ruger LCP.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

Last edited by Cheapshooter; May 20, 2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old May 20, 2016, 04:05 PM   #7
dahermit

Quote:
Power" is not all it's purported to be.
Yup...that is why I carry a .22 rimfire short.
Old May 20, 2016, 04:20 PM   #8
TailGator

Quote:
Single action cocked and locked are not an option for me.
Darn, took the wind out of my sails. I can wax poetic about the Sig P238.
Old May 20, 2016, 04:41 PM   #9
cjwils

At my local indoor range, I have rented and fired several light weight double-action-only 380's with blow back actions, and I hated them all. Nasty trigger pulls and nasty recoil. That forced me to consider single-action-only, such as Sig 238 or Colt Mustang; even though I am not totally comfortable with carrying cocked and locked. Or to consider single/double, such as the Walther PPK or its clones. I have not made a final decision yet, but I am certain that I will not be choosing a double-action-only. I might go back to my S&W J frame revolver for my concealed carry gun.
Old May 20, 2016, 05:25 PM   #10
Cheapshooter

Quote:
At my local indoor range, I have rented and fired several light weight double-action-only 380's with blow back actions
Then you haven't shot a P3at, or LCP!
They are locked breech, tilting barrel delayed blowback. Just like the Sig 238.
Quote:
Or to consider single/double, such as the Walther PPK or its clones.
That one is a blow back action.
Old May 20, 2016, 05:31 PM   #11
AK103K

Quote:
"Power" is not all it's purported to be.
True.

And having a more realistic gun as the primary is higher on the list.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Almost 50% heavier, and twice the price of the three best choices on the list.
For a truly small, and light, easy to carry pocket gun, stick with the Kel-Tec P32, P3at, or Ruger LCP.
Ive had a number of "small" back up guns over the years, including a P32 and LCP, and the Seecamps are still the one the others wish they were.

As far as Im concerned, the Seecamp is the one that sets the bar, and so far, none of the others have beat it.

Quote:
Nasty trigger pulls and nasty recoil. That forced me to consider single-action-only, such as Sig 238 or Colt Mustang; even though I am not totally comfortable with carrying cocked and locked.
You may also want to consider the Glock 42's. Very soft shooters and as accurate as their bigger siblings out to about as far as you can shoot those.

One of the "zack" type trigger guard holsters makes them more palatable to those who are Glock phobic. Would also work for the P238, etc too.

Quote:
That one is a blow back action.
Most of the .380's are blowback. Some more comfortable to shoot than others. Those are usually on the larger side, and with better grips.
Old May 20, 2016, 05:42 PM   #12
deerslayer303

The CZ82 IS a blow back designed DA / SA pistol chambered in 9X18 Makarov. It can be carried in the cocked and locked fashion or in the DA mode (hammer down) first round will be DA all subsequent shots will be in SA mode. While I love my CZ82 to no end, I would strike it from your list due mainly to ammo availability. And most small 380's ARE NOT blow back. The LCP, P3AT, TCP, etc are locked breach. While your CZ82, 83, PPQ, Makarovs, etc are blow back design. With all that said if you want a small, light, highly concealable pistol you're gonna get some recoil to go along with it. It's a trade off. I don't like firing a bunch of rounds through the TCP but it's not a range hound and I love carrying it.

Last edited by deerslayer303; May 20, 2016 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old May 20, 2016, 05:48 PM   #13
AK103K

Quote:
And most small 380's ARE NOT blow back.
Thats news to me. "Most" of the .380's Ive owned and shot over the years were blowback.
Old May 20, 2016, 05:51 PM   #14
deerslayer303

Depends on which ones you're talking about. The small 380's are locked while some of the bigger ones are.
Old May 20, 2016, 05:56 PM   #15
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Most of the .380's are blowback. Some more comfortable to shoot than others. Those are usually on the larger side, and with better grips.
Over ten years ago, prior to the Kel-Tec P3at.
The ones most popular now are all delayed blow back,locked breech, tilting barrel actions. That is what enables them to be so small! The larger,newer designs like the Ruger LC380, based on the LC9, the Glock G42, and the Walther P380 to name a few are all locked breech,delayed blow back, not blow back. The difference is the tilting barrel vs the fixedbarrel of tthe Walther PPK, CZ 83, PA63, and other bigger, older designs.
Old May 20, 2016, 06:01 PM   #16
Cheapshooter

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8xQIPMYgP6E
Old May 20, 2016, 07:01 PM   #17
Bart Noir

Locked breach pistols are most certainly not delayed blowback.

They use a design called short recoil. The slide and barrel are locked together as they recoil and then the barrel disconnects from the slide, which continues back while the barrel stops.

The term long recoil is used for those where the barrel travels back more than the length of a cartridge. At least I think that it what separates short from long recoil guns. Long recoil is not a common design in pistols.

Bart Noir
Old May 20, 2016, 07:14 PM   #18
franco45

If you're happy with your PM9 why not consider a Kahr 380? There is the deluxe model P380, the budget CW380 and the slightly larger budget CT380. Kahr triggers are very consistent across the product line and the bar dot sights are too.
Old May 20, 2016, 08:23 PM   #19
briandg

I believe that you should ignore the .32. I draw my personal line there, I don't think that a .32 reaches a level of damage that is acceptable for a six round handgun a big knife can do as much damage, maybe more.

Either the lcp, the bodyguard, or some other compact .380 will stand far above the .32, at a very similar size. The bodyguard and lcp are not blowback, you should avoid blowback operated guns, imo.

Even the tiny .380 pistols carry seven rounds, can fire top quality ammo. It's not a 9 or 38, but the tiny little thing will be fine for deep cover when you aren't willing to carry larger.
Old May 20, 2016, 08:46 PM   #20
ttarp

Knives do way more damage than most handgun calibers, I think .32 is ok, .25 is where I draw the line.
Old May 20, 2016, 09:02 PM   #21
Bill DeShivs

In the real world, there isn't much difference in .32 and .380 (or .25!)

Knives only work at contact distance. Any of the above calibers will work from much further away.
Old May 21, 2016, 07:59 AM   #22
tirod

The point of the smaller gun is more comfort in carry.

The OP mentioned he had a PM9 - yet the CW380 is yet to be mentioned as a lighter weight smaller gun.

Compared to the LCP:
It's the same size package overall.
It's within a fraction of an ounce in unloaded weight.
Same magazine capacity but a Plus 1 kit is available.
It uses a Browning style ramp lock up, making it pleasant to shoot.
Kahr trigger at 6 pounds and easy to pull, plus it's the same as a Glock 19 in travel, ie not that long.
It has a slide hold open designed to be used to chamber the first round in the mag, which means NOT having to rack it against a loaded mag column.

I had a first gen LCP and shooting it was no joy. The Kahr is something you can and have fun doing it. More practice with it means more ability and confidence when you need it, vs a gun you never want to practice with, with nasty recoil, and is hard to reload.

I've got a simple test you can perform if the mags are available - load up one round each LCP vs Kahr and space them out on a table. Shoot for time and accuracy loading each one in sequence and let the better gun be your choice.

The LCP takes longer to load racking the slide each time and the sights aren't all that. The Kahr will usually be easier, faster, and more accurate because you can take a bit longer to squeeze off a better shot. If you plan to carry a second magazine then it has importance.

LCP's are certainly less expensive but you get what you pay for.
Old May 21, 2016, 09:11 AM   #23
KEYBEAR

I have had a Sig 230 in 380 for years and like it a lot .
Old May 21, 2016, 12:01 PM   #24
briandg

Bill, I have to disagree. The ..25, .32, and.380 are not all equal.

.380 has about twice the mass, over 200 fps increase, probably double expanded diameter, and probably, possibly far deeper penetration. The .25, according to history, was created to be equal to the .22 lr, but in a far more reliable form; center fire and jacketed with a profile that would feed in a pocket semiautomatic.

The guy who made the seecamp said right up front that the .32 was incapable of serious damage and that his pistol was impossible to fire accurately at any range beyond a few yards because it had no sights. He said "this isn't meant to be a combat gun, it's a close in last resort gun. Your supposed to stick it in the other guy's face and pull the trigger." (Not his exact words, except for that last sentence.)

If you look at the.380,it's the same bore size as the luger. It's only 20 grains lighter, and 300 fps, give or take, slower. There is no question that the 9mm is a very effective combat weapon within its limitations. The .380 is even identical to the makarov, and God knows how many people have been killed with that round.
Old May 21, 2016, 12:30 PM   #25
AK103K

Over the years, I remember reading a number of articles that more or less back up Bills thoughts. At least in regards to the .32's/.380's. The police in Europe used them for a good long time and seemed to have faith in them. Not that Im really using that as an endorsement. They have different ideas on a few things.

Contrary to Larry Seecamps supposed comment (first Ive heard it anyway), At realistic ranges, the Seecamps do quite well, even without sights. I have no troubles making "good" hits on photo silhouette targets, even at 15 yards. Not that Id want that to be my only gun and the distance of choice with it.

I agree, all these "little" guns, are basically "third line" last ditch guns, meant for use at basically contact distance. Any more, except on rare occasions, Ive replaced mine with a good fixed blade knife, simply because, at those distances, I believe it will be more effective and useful.

Its kind of a moot point though too, as if Im down to that, Im already in a world of hurt, as Id already have gone through 61 rounds of 9mm.