The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 2, 2013, 11:21 AM   #1
Judge7691

Ruger p95 question

Hello folks,new to the forums here and also new to semi auto handguns and I also wasnt sure if I should post here or the semi auto handgun forums.

I have a question that might be silly to some but I dont know so I'm asking it.When the slide is in the locked back position the barrel moves around alot and rattles around.Is this normal?

Also after emptying the mag about 10 times,5 of those times the slide didnt lock back after the last shot.I know thats not normal.

This pistol is 2 years old and has about 350 rounds thru it.

Any help or feedback is much appreciated and I love the forums here,lotsa great info.Thanks.
Old April 2, 2013, 05:39 PM   #2
oldgunsmith

Watch the rear end of the barrel move upward just before the slide is fully closed. As you start to open it, the barrel drops back down again. In a locked breech gun, up is in the locked position and there shouldn't be any play. Down is unlocked and the barrel will naturally feel quite noticeably looser. Any of several things could be causing it not to lock back every time, including your left thumb being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Original magazine? Can only guess without looking at it.