The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old July 21, 2011, 09:07 AM   #126
mordis

Fightingboard i assume you live somewere else other then the usa, where dogs are very common. Some of what say does not hold up. Dogs do attack for no reason, how else do you explain pitbull attacks? Family dog, well cared for, non abused suddenly turns on a kid or adult for no reason that can be found.
I love pitbulls, and hate that there demonized, but not even on pitbull chat forum can they or will they even begine try and explain the odd attacks that happen with legit pits.

Now i have a theroy about pitbull attacks, at least the ones were the dog actually was a pitbull and not another breed that closely resembles one. Part of my theroy is breeding, i think poorly breed dogs, like most dogs that come from back yard breeders, are more prone to mental issues.

My advice, is dont shoot bully breeds, and mastif breeds(if dangerous and feral toyou that is) in the head. My FIL is a vet, and has shot many animals, and says that those breeds heads due to there shape round and sloping(bully breeds like pits) and the size shape and thickness of the mastif breeds heads, your bullet may or may not penetrate there skull. There are plenty of stories on the net about owners whose pit tried to stop a home invasion and got shot in the head by the intruder only to have the bullet exit out the bottom of there nex, with no dmg to the dog. My suggestion is aim for the chest or shoulder or side if possible. If not aim for the nose area.

Lastly there are companies that can add better sights to your j frame revolvers, i suggest looking in to that.
Old July 21, 2011, 12:28 PM   #127
Buzzcook

The web browser Firefox has a spell check feature that works in Internet posting. Doesn't help with homophones but better than nothing.
Old July 21, 2011, 04:10 PM   #128
SRH78

Quote:
Dogs do attack for no reason, how else do you explain pitbull attacks? Family dog, well cared for, non abused suddenly turns on a kid or adult for no reason that can be found.
I love pitbulls, and hate that there demonized, but not even on pitbull chat forum can they or will they even begine try and explain the odd attacks that happen with legit pits.
No animal attacks for no reason and dogs don't suddenly turn for no reason. "Family dog, well cared for.. blah blah blah" What do you expect people to say? Do you expect them to admit they raised an aggressive dog? Do you expect them to admit they have been fighting the dog? Of course not. They are going to lie their butt off. We hear the same thing all the time from the friends and family or violent criminals all the time. Think about the kid that gets in a dogs face and gets bit. You will be told he was just suddenly attacked for no reason when in fact, his behavior led to him getting bit. How about the dog that the neighbors kids throw rocks at or shoot bb guns at? I can't imagine why it would become aggressive.

People who honestly believe dogs attack for no reason, simply do not understand the reasons. Every single thing dogs, people, or anything else does is for a reason.

Btw, dogs are not at all unpredictable. They are an open book if you bother to read them. I have been around all sorts of dogs, with and without the owners present. I used to have to go into yards many times a day with nobody home. I have been back there with Pitts, Rotts, Mastiffs, Dobys, Shepards, Akitas, Huskys, Labs, Chows, Elkhounds, you name it. Not one of them was unpredictable and not one did anything for no reason. I got called many times by other crews because they couldn't get into a yard because there were "aggressive" dogs there. Nearly every time, I got into the yard with no problem. A very few times I didn't but those dogs weren't unpredictable either.

I once showed up and there were 5 or 6 guys trying to just walk right into the yard. Their logic was that the dog wouldn't let them back there because it was a pit and it was mean. How would any of you react to strange men trying to force their way into your home? Would you smile and say hi? Of course not. The dog saw them as a threat and understandably so. I made them leave, then spent a few minutes letting the dog get to know me and showing it that I wasn't a threat. 5 minutes later all the guys were back there and to their suprise, the dog was very friendly and wanted to play with everybody.

Many times dogs end up aggressive because of how they are raised. Many times, they are assumed to be aggressive because the victim is clueless.
Old July 21, 2011, 04:24 PM   #129
SRH78

Btw, all the hype about pitts is a bunch of crap. I have been around plenty of them and when raised by a responsible owner, they are less likely than most breeds to attack someone, mostly because they are much less likely to bite out of fear. Ask yourself this. Why do a higher percentage of Glocks end up used in crimes as compared to X-frame Smiths?

It is because of the type of people who own them and the same is true of dogs.
Old July 21, 2011, 04:33 PM   #130
Come and take it.

Why do people choose a pitbull or a Rottweiller for a pet over other dogs? What attributes do they have over other dogs?

They are poorly lacking in the cute department. They have average hunting skills. A genetically inherited tendency to be more aggressive and violent (it's scientifically proven)

My conclusion is that most people who choose to own a pitbull or rottweiller specifically are likely to also be ones who want an agressive fighting dog for some reason.
Old July 21, 2011, 05:08 PM   #131
SRH78

Quote:
Why do people choose a pitbull or a Rottweiller for a pet over other dogs? What attributes do they have over other dogs?
The single best behaved, most loyal, and most intelligent animal I have ever been around was my Rott. Last I checked, those were good reasons. They are also very alert and very good at protecting their owners. I would expect someone who is pro second amendment to understand that. My neighbors always loved my Rott, even the ones who were afraid of him at first. Want to know why they loved having him around? It is because they didn't have to worry about their kids ending up on the news. Any hand laid on one of "his" kids would have been removed in a hurry. He watched over those kids like a hawk. My lab on the other hand is a sweet dog, well behaved, and great at retrieving birds, but would be completely worthless in a situation where a protective dog was needed.

Quote:
They are poorly lacking in the cute department. They have average hunting skills. A genetically inherited tendency to be more aggressive and violent (it's scientifically proven)
I couldn't disagree more. Both are good looking dogs, particularly Rotts. Besides, does a dog have to be a hunter to be a family pet now? Maybe you shouldn't own a rifle or handgun unless it is only used for hunting? As far as aggression, there are many breeds that are more aggressive than Rotts and Pitts. A properly raised Pitt is one of the sweetest dogs you will ever be around. Rotts are typically more wary and less trusting of strangers but wary and aggressive are two different things. My Rott was actually a very affectionate dog. Actually much more so than my Lab.

Quote:
My conclusion is that most people who choose to own a pitbull or rottweiller specifically are likely to also be ones who want an agressive fighting dog for some reason.
Not at all, but the types of people you are reffering to are indeed more likely to choose a Pitt or a Rott. I made that statement already. If you get rid of those breeds, those same people will pick a new breed and it will develop the same bad reputation.
Old July 21, 2011, 05:11 PM   #132
SRH78

He also kept my ATV and my neighbor's truck from being stolen as well as my grandparent's house from being broken into. He also broke up a fight at the neighbor's house and didn't bite anyone in the process. That was the only time he ever left the yard on his own even though he could have easily gotten out anytime he wanted to. He didn't stay in the yard because he couldn't get out. He stayed in the yard because that is what I expected from him. I ended up with my lab because he needed a good home, otherwise, I would absolutely have another Rott right now.

In case you are wondering, he was also very good with other dogs.
Old July 21, 2011, 05:41 PM   #133
AK103K

Quote:
The single best behaved, most loyal, and most intelligent animal I have ever been around was my Rott.
Weve had Rotties for over 20 years now, and wont have another breed. Everything SRH78 said above is dead on. They are just big, very "family" oriented babies, and are great around kids.

The only time their demeanor changes, is if you dont behave, or do anything they percieve as aggressive towards the family, and especially the wife or kids. Do that, and they will step right up and deal with you without hesitation.

Quote:
The only people who have them for that reason, are abusing their dogs, and should be fed to them as far as Im concerned. What your comment sounds like to me, is experience learned from sensational TV news, and not from first hand experience with a family pet and protector.

I know people who have Pits as family pets, and they are sweet dogs too. Any dog can be abused to the point of being dangerous, and Ive had many encounters and bites/attempted bites, from more little furry yappy dogs, than I ever had from the bigger breeds.
Old July 21, 2011, 06:01 PM   #134
Catfishman

Many people have had good luck with Pitbulls and Rottweilers. Some people haven't, and aren't around to talk about it. To say that they present no problem is wrong. Those two breeds have killed many people, especially children, and are one of the reasons people carry pistols in rural areas.

Any dog can be unpredictable and hurt someone. These two can easily kill.
Old July 21, 2011, 06:30 PM   #135
SRH78

Quote:
Many people have had good luck with Pitbulls and Rottweilers. Some people haven't, and aren't around to talk about it. To say that they present no problem is wrong. Those two breeds have killed many people, especially children, and are one of the reasons people carry pistols in rural areas.

Any dog can be unpredictable and hurt someone. These two can easily kill.
Many people have been killed by handguns and aren't around to talk about it. Does that make your handgun dangerous and unpredictable? Maybe, just maybe handguns are only dangerous in the wrong hands. What a concept. Spend some time around a properly raised Rott or Pitt and you will see what they are really like.

I will say it again. Anyone who believes dogs are unpredictable, simply doesn't understand them. They are far more predictable than people are.
Old July 21, 2011, 06:33 PM   #136
SRH78

Quote:
Any dog can be abused to the point of being dangerous, and Ive had many encounters and bites/attempted bites, from more little furry yappy dogs, than I ever had from the bigger breeds.
Absolute truth right here.
Old July 21, 2011, 06:51 PM   #137
Catfishman

Quote:
Many people have been killed by handguns and aren't around to talk about it. Does that make your handgun dangerous and unpredictable?
My handgun doesn't act on it's own. It doesn't crash through screen doors, jump fences and attack children.

I've always wondered why of all of the wonderful breeds of dogs anyone would want one that is as potentially deadly as a Pitbull.
Old July 21, 2011, 08:05 PM   #138
AK103K

Dogs are only as dangerous as they are made, just like people. We are all just animals after all.

If you program your kid to be a killer, they will be the best they can be, just to please you, and do so with no remorse. Dogs are no different.

Anything and everything can be potentially dangerous. If you havent owned a "normal" Pit or Rottie, then what are you basing your opinions on? Obviously, not personal experience. Again, it sounds more like a dramatic, hyped up TV news spot. Oh, the humanity! Weve got to do something about these gun owners..., oops, I mean DOG owners.
Old July 21, 2011, 08:18 PM   #139
DougU

I have to call B.S by the people trying to defend all dogs. We just had a case (in iowa) where the grandparents pitbulls mauled and killed a toddler which was obviously no threat to the dogs. The animals in question had no history of attack or violent behavior; they simply killed a child because they could. I also knew a sliver german shepard that my uncle had. The dog never showed any abnormal behavior but he attacked my cousin one day when he came home from school for no reason. If any of my dogs ever did something like that , I would kill them myself. Domesticated.....or not, they are still canines and will act like their wild counterparts!
Old July 21, 2011, 08:28 PM   #140
Alaska444

Guns don't shoot on their own, dogs on the other hand make their own way without human intervention as needed for a handgun. Although folks can dispute WHY one breed of mutt over another is more dangerous, the facts are clear, Pitts and Rotts are the most dangerous dogs in America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States

If you spend a bit of time to go down the known list, venture to see how many people killed by dogs are killed by the FAMILY pet. Anyone that has one of these mutts is asking for trouble at some point just based on the qualities bred into these mutts.
Old July 21, 2011, 08:32 PM   #141
BlackFeather

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougU
I have to call B.S by the people trying to defend all dogs. We just had a case (in iowa) where the grandparents pitbulls mauled and killed a toddler which was obviously no threat to the dogs. The animals in question had no history of attack or violent behavior; they simply killed a child because they could. I also knew a sliver german shepard that my uncle had. The dog never showed any abnormal behavior but he attacked my cousin one day when he came home from school for no reason. If any of my dogs ever did something like that , I would kill them myself. Domesticated.....or not, they are still canines and will act like their wild counterparts!
And the reason a person should have a dog is for it's abilities as an animal, not for looks. People that like pretty dogs, usually can't handle them. In fact, most spoiled dogs, especially the small ones, are more likely to bite. My ex was a dog groomer, and I helped bathe them at times. The big dogs bit less than the small dogs.

As far as your cousin being attacked, were you there? Was your uncle? Kids lie, especially when they know they did something wrong.

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old July 21, 2011, 08:53 PM   #142
AK103K

Quote:
I have to call B.S by the people trying to defend all dogs.
Its not "all" dogs, nor is it even "all" of the bad and scary dogs. Just like there are bad people, there are bad dogs, bad cats, bad squrriels, bad.... whatever scares you the most. And please, dont even go near bad klowns. Thats my breaking point.

Quote:
....the facts are clear, Pitts and Rotts are the most dangerous dogs in America
Naw, Chiwawa's are the scariest dogs on the planet. Just a hairless rat on acid sitting on that old ladys boob just giving you that "look". You know whats next.....

In all the years Ive owned Rotties, and known people who own Rotties, and all of us have kids, and most of us more than one (dogs and kids). Ive never had a kid mauled or attacked by one, mine or friends. The kids do have to learn the way of the pack though, at least until they earn their place in the pecking order. The dogs tend to get bigger faster than the kids, and its always an entertaining few years as they grow up together. Then again, we live with our dogs. I suppose non Rottie people just dont understand. But then again, how could they, they have no experience with them to know. They all seem to have a boat load of horror stories though.

Quote:
Guns don't shoot on their own.....
You must be new around here. There are a lot of people here who seem to think Glocks do all the time.

Dont worry, I have a bunch of them too, and like the Rotties, they arent as scary once you actually own and handle them.
Old July 21, 2011, 09:00 PM   #143
Alaska444

Quote:
Naw, Chiwawa's are the scariest dogs on the planet. Just a hairless rat on acid sitting on that old ladys boob just giving you that "look". You know whats next.....
Sorry, I didn't see them on the list of fatal dog attacks. Why are so many people killed by their own dogs which just happen to be Rotts and Pits? Perhaps they have the Rotts and Pits to protect them against the really dangerous chiwawas above and the get confused and just eat their owners instead.
Old July 21, 2011, 09:30 PM   #144
AK103K

Maybe thats it.

Maybe, the people that own the dogs that killed, were people who shouldnt have the dog, or any other item that "may" be dangerous if misused/mistreated.

Also, in the whole scheme of things, the total number (over 20 years yet) of people killed by dogs is minuscule compared to many if not most other causes of death.
Old July 21, 2011, 09:34 PM   #145
Catfishman

Quote:
I suppose non Rottie people just dont understand. But then again, how could they, they have no experience with them to know. They all seem to have a boat load of horror stories though.
I don't understand a Grizzly bear and I don't want one next door.

Yes, strange everyone has a boatload of horror stories. The stories include real people. I don't care if these people understood the vicious dogs that injured/killed them.

This isn't one in a million stuff either.

1 A Pitbull that belongs to a friend of mine attacked a small child a couple months ago. It grabbed her by the head and shook her until my friends father beat it with a hammer.

2 A Rottweiler attacked a lady I go to church with a couple of years ago. She was over at a friends house and was the last one on the way in from the car. The dog was quickly shot and killed by the owner. But, not before half killing a woman who was in late 50s. She had to have many surgeries and was left with missing fingers, scars and permanent nerve damage.

How many people do I personally know? A thousand? Five hundred? I dunno. Just think how many innocent people these animals injure/kill every year, nationally.

I enforce a very simple policy when one of these animals lays a paw on my property.
Old July 21, 2011, 09:47 PM   #146
Catfishman

Quote:
Also, in the whole scheme of things, the total number (over 20 years yet) of people killed by dogs is minuscule compared to many if not most other causes of death.
I read on DogsBite.org that 52 Americans were killed by Pitbulls during the years '06, '07 and '08.

Miniscule?

This is a very real problem and until laws are changed, it is a very good reason to have a firearm around.
Old July 21, 2011, 09:47 PM   #147
Alaska444

Quote:
Dog attacks are attacks on humans by feral or domestic dogs. With the close association of dogs and humans in daily life (largely as pets), dog attacks—with injuries from very minor to significant, and severe to fatal—are not uncommon. Attacks on the serious end of the spectrum have become the focus of increasing media and public attention in the late 20th and early 21st centuries.[2] It is estimated that two percent of the US population, 4.7 million people, are bitten each year.[3] In the 1980s and 1990s the US averaged 17 fatalities per year, while in the 2000s this has increased to 26.[4] 77% of dog bites are from the pet of family or friends, and 50% of attacks occur on the dog owner's property.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_attack

Nearly 5 million folks are attacked in the US alone, that is NOT a small number even if the number that die is a relatively small number.

Personally, I don't remember ever seeing a pit or Rotty growing up and it seems like that is all that we see now in so many areas. The fact that nearly 80% of fatal attacks come from family pets most often being a Rot or Pit is not the least comforting. If folks wish to wonder WHY, so be it. But mitigating the clear evidence gets us no where.

Let's look at it from another angle:

Why are the majority of fatal dog attacks from two breeds of dogs, Pits and Rots? Isn't that the real question at hand?
Old July 21, 2011, 10:11 PM   #148
AK103K

Quote:
I read on DogsBite.org that 52 Americans were killed by Pitbulls during the years '06, '07 and '08.

Miniscule?
Compared to a lot of things, and over three years, yea, 52 is a minuscule number.

Quote:
This is a very real problem and until laws are changed...
Now youre starting on that slippery slope. Might as well put your gun in the list too, dont you think.

Quote:
Nearly 5 million folks are attacked in the US alone, that is NOT a small number even if the number that die is a relatively small number.

Personally, I don't remember ever seeing a pit or Rotty growing up
Now thats a nice piece of manipulation there, including the Pits and Rotties in with the 5 million thing in the same breath.

As with most breeds that become "popular", the breed tends to degrade as people try to cash in on it. You loose the "quality" of the breed in the quest for quantity. Go back and look a the trends and I think youll find an increase in problems just like you see with the Pits and Rotties now. Collies, Shepherds, Dobies, Huskies, Labs, etc, all suffered (and still suffer) from being popular. Add to that, people who should not own a dog(and probably shouldnt have kids either), wanting to be cool and have what all their friends have, just make it worse. The best thing that could happen to the Pits and Rotties, is they drop off the popular list.

Quote:
Why are the majority of fatal dog attacks from two breeds of dogs, Pits and Rots?
Just like gun deaths, in most cases, the fault of the owner.

Were really not talking "big" numbers here either.
Old July 21, 2011, 10:15 PM   #149
603Country

SRH78 mentioned that no dog attacks for no reason, and also said a few other things along those lines. That actually may be a true statement, in that dogs have some reason to do what they do, but go back a few pages and read what happened to me. The dogs might have had some reason to act toward me the way they did, but it was nothing that I did, and their reasoning wasn't transmitted to me prior to the attack. All that happened, and happened very quickly, was that I showed up and they made aggressive movements toward me. Luckily, I was armed, or I might not be typing this. Basically, the fact here is that I don't care why they attacked, be it a good reason or a bad reason. They attempted to put teeth on me and I shot them (most of them). And let me restate my feelings on this. I do not care what their reasoning was, and I think I speak for anyone that has been attacked or seriously threatened.
Old July 21, 2011, 10:21 PM   #150
Deja vu

I like german shepherds but I think a rott or a pit would make a good guard dog.

What is wrong with having a big dog to "guard" your house? I don't have any thing against Collies or Datamations but they do not have the same intimidation factor as some other breeds that are better suited (even if only by reputation) for guarding you or your home and family.

Don't tell me animals don't ever kill for the fun of it. I have seen whats left after a small pack of wolves kill and entire flock of sheep. They eat what they can but they don't all ways stop killing when they are full.

I have seen cats kill mice and just leave them.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Closed Thread